3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The Saga Continues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 09:36 PM

The Saga Continues

The Saga continues...I've gone to 3 different places and asked countless people, had my charging system checked at two different places with 2 different verdicts about why just my 4-channel amp keeps cutting off on me. I've heard everything from getting a new battery, to a new alternator, to adding a capacitator, the list goes on. Anyway, I'm venting to my friend at work, and he tells me he'll look at it. He pops the hood and in less than 5 seconds, he spots the problem. The positive battery terminal is cracked in two It's not even a full circle. I bought a new one at AZ for like three bucks but I've never crimped or soldered anything before. Is this something I should attempt on my own? But boy am I glad I was patient with this one...I could be down a lot of money right now.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:41 PM

You still should invest in a capacitor, it will help A) with keeping a strong current going to the amp, and also will keep a bit of charge so for inital power on and all the time it will not drain the battery as hard. Also invest in an Optima battery ASAP if you don't want that da.mnable light diming, and hard idle!

Jared
Old 06-17-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by EdgeProductions
You still should invest in a capacitor, it will help A) with keeping a strong current going to the amp, and also will keep a bit of charge so for inital power on and all the time it will not drain the battery as hard. Also invest in an Optima battery ASAP if you don't want that da.mnable light diming, and hard idle!

Jared
When the alternator is running, the battery acts as a capacitor for the circuit... If you're running it straight from the battery, a capacitor won't help you at all...
A bigger alternator would help out a lot...
Old 06-17-2002, 12:26 PM

What do you need to crimp or solder? The new terminal should have come with a hella long main wire to hook to your started already, everythign else you just need to bolt on
Old 06-17-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
What do you need to crimp or solder? The new terminal should have come with a hella long main wire to hook to your started already, everythign else you just need to bolt on
The terminal I bought didn't come with any kind of cable or wire...It is just the terminal by itself. The directions on the back are telling me to strip the cable I already have about 1/2" and insert the base end of the stripped cable into the copper lug opening and securely crimp or solder the lug to the end of the cable. I'm just wondering if this is something I can do on my own?
Old 06-17-2002, 05:39 PM

it should be pretty soft metal...just squeeze pretty hard and it should make a good connection. Or i would take that one back and get the terminal replacement that has a little bracket that holds the wire down w/ 2 screws. That's the easiest was of doing it w/o soldering or crimping.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by D & S

The terminal I bought didn't come with any kind of cable or wire...It is just the terminal by itself. The directions on the back are telling me to strip the cable I already have about 1/2" and insert the base end of the stripped cable into the copper lug opening and securely crimp or solder the lug to the end of the cable. I'm just wondering if this is something I can do on my own?

yes yu can do it on yur own have faith i yur self man if not yu can pay some shop mechanic whool chargr yu 5 bucks to put it on ok

Man i love my country!!
Old 06-17-2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by naijai

yes yu can do it on yur own have faith i yur self man if not yu can pay some shop mechanic whool chargr yu 5 bucks to put it on ok

Man i love my country!!
Where can I pick up a decent crimping kit or soldering kit? I need to learn how to do this stuff sooner or later.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:50 PM

If you are using the crimping type you can try using a hammer to flatten the crimp portion. I did it on mine and it's snug as can be.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by D & S

Where can I pick up a decent crimping kit or soldering kit? I need to learn how to do this stuff sooner or later.
Radio Shack... Buy the $20 all-in-one soldering kit, comes with everything you need... And get some 60/40 solder (Or is it 40/60, don't remember exactly which)
Then pick up a copy of the Jolly Rogers Cookbook, tells you everything you need to know about soldering...
Old 06-18-2002, 06:40 AM

yeah dude, Solder it yourself. This skill comes in handy. Get good at making nice soldered joints and use shrinnk tubing to seal them up..very professional looking and creates a lower resistance joint for less signal loss and noise..Best to both crimp and solder joints that see alot of stress too. Crimps pull out sometimes and soldering uses soft metal..both together make an indestructable joint.