3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Manual Transmission Fill Tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 12:06 AM

Manual Transmission Fill Tube

As per one of my previous threads, the drivers side transaxle output shaft seal needed to be replaced. Luckily I did it when I did for it had been leaking a while. I did not drain the fluid since my drain plug was stuck (broke off 2 screwdrivers in the process). So I grimaced, and pulled out the shaft anyway. No fluid came out!!! Boy am I glad I changed that seal when I did. I replaced the seal (after driving 50 miles to get the right one cause the local Thrifty gave me one for the VG :-( after I specifically said VE as in "Victor, Echo"). I put the axle back in, buttoned everything up in a jiffy, then tried to find the speedo cable to put the new fluid in. Couldn't find it. I had already taken off the inspection plug, and knew it would be darn near impossible to put it in there. I then found a stock transmission fill tube of sorts. On my car it comes out in the front of the tranny, just beside the bellhousing. Is this what that tube is for? Or is it so the tranny can breathe? I know it worked becaus I was able to put back 1.5 quarts of fluid before it came up to the bottom of the inspection port.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Manual Transmission Fill Tube

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
As per one of my previous threads, the drivers side transaxle output shaft seal needed to be replaced. Luckily I did it when I did for it had been leaking a while. I did not drain the fluid since my drain plug was stuck (broke off 2 screwdrivers in the process). So I grimaced, and pulled out the shaft anyway. No fluid came out!!! Boy am I glad I changed that seal when I did. I replaced the seal (after driving 50 miles to get the right one cause the local Thrifty gave me one for the VG :-( after I specifically said VE as in "Victor, Echo"). I put the axle back in, buttoned everything up in a jiffy, then tried to find the speedo cable to put the new fluid in. Couldn't find it. I had already taken off the inspection plug, and knew it would be darn near impossible to put it in there. I then found a stock transmission fill tube of sorts. On my car it comes out in the front of the tranny, just beside the bellhousing. Is this what that tube is for? Or is it so the tranny can breathe? I know it worked becaus I was able to put back 1.5 quarts of fluid before it came up to the bottom of the inspection port.
You put fluid back into the transaxle through the dipstick. (the transmission dipstick, not the engine oil.)
Old 06-16-2002, 06:52 AM

Uhmmmmm, There is a dipstick in a manual tranny????? I checked all over my 5 speed and can't find a dipstick.. Hmm, you must gotten confused with an auto... not to flame. but you scare me for a mintue there... Usually you just take out that inspection plug with a 3/4" socket adapter. then snake a tube or what not into that hole and start filling. Once fluid starts coming out, you know your good to go.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by LeeIt2Me
Uhmmmmm, There is a dipstick in a manual tranny????? I checked all over my 5 speed and can't find a dipstick.. Hmm, you must gotten confused with an auto... not to flame. but you scare me for a mintue there... Usually you just take out that inspection plug with a 3/4" socket adapter. then snake a tube or what not into that hole and start filling. Once fluid starts coming out, you know your good to go.
no dipstick...he's thinking auto tranny.
if you filled it then you filled it. don't matter HOW u get it in..as long as it's in.

you can buy a pump to squirt the fluid into the fill/inspection hole...but whatever works.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by LeeIt2Me
My bad dude! I read to fast and didn't see manual tranny.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:22 PM

Do other manual Maxima's have the small tube coming up just to the right of the bellhousing? I pulled the tube off, and it is just a brass elbow fittin into the transaxle. The tube does however come up to the top of the engine, and has a platic connector connecting it to a vacuum line right off the MAF. I am wondering if this is a stock item.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:00 AM

Yes, It's a vent hose for the manual tranny.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

I just ran a clear plastic tube to the speed sensor just under the fuel filter(on the tranny though) Alot easier then using a pump though the fill hole on the side. You have to remove it from the top of the engine. One 10m socket w/ an extension. Very easy