3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Electrical Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:26 PM

Electrical Problems?

I don't know what the heck is going on with my electrical system. I recently posted a thread asking what to do about the acid build-up around my battery because the same thing happened a year ago and my alternator soon afterward went bye-bye. Well I took Matt's advice and cleaned off my battery and patched it up with some silicone, and haven't had any problems since. Well today while driving to work, my 4-channel amp just went down. I mean it wasn't even hot and I wasn't even pushing it either, I could barely hear the radio with the windows down. I have my two amps daisy-chained and my sub-amp is running through my 4-channel.(Crappy head unit, only one pre-out). But my new(Bad ***) head unit should be here any day now with 3 pre-outs. So I'm freakin out cuz my whole system is shot and I won't be able to try out my new head unit. Anyway, I turned around immediatly and headed home to pop the trunk and take a peak. On the way back my subs were poping...I mean HARD too...Even when I turned the volume all the way down. I get home pop the trunk, UNPLUG the RCA's and my subs are STILL hittin randomly. WTF is this? Only when I unpluged my sub amp from my 4-channel did it stop. This is blowing my mind. Not just the fact that my amp died, but the fact that my subs are hitting with no signal. If someone could just tell me WHY this is happening I'd be happy. How to fix it and not make it happen again when I buy a new amp I'd be estatic. Any input would be apprecated.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Electrical Problems?

Originally posted by D & S
I don't know what the heck is going on with my electrical system. I recently posted a thread asking what to do about the acid build-up around my battery because the same thing happened a year ago and my alternator soon afterward went bye-bye. Well I took Matt's advice and cleaned off my battery and patched it up with some silicone, and haven't had any problems since. Well today while driving to work, my 4-channel amp just went down. I mean it wasn't even hot and I wasn't even pushing it either, I could barely hear the radio with the windows down. I have my two amps daisy-chained and my sub-amp is running through my 4-channel.(Crappy head unit, only one pre-out). But my new(Bad ***) head unit should be here any day now with 3 pre-outs. So I'm freakin out cuz my whole system is shot and I won't be able to try out my new head unit. Anyway, I turned around immediatly and headed home to pop the trunk and take a peak. On the way back my subs were poping...I mean HARD too...Even when I turned the volume all the way down. I get home pop the trunk, UNPLUG the RCA's and my subs are STILL hittin randomly. WTF is this? Only when I unpluged my sub amp from my 4-channel did it stop. This is blowing my mind. Not just the fact that my amp died, but the fact that my subs are hitting with no signal. If someone could just tell me WHY this is happening I'd be happy. How to fix it and not make it happen again when I buy a new amp I'd be estatic. Any input would be apprecated.
did u check your battery?? When my battery was low the fuse for the domelight kept blowing up when i start the car i instaled it two times but when i started the car the fuse blew up and the dome lighrt didn't work. But after i got the new battery the dome light was working fine. and have no problem since then. so i am just saying the fuse for the sound system might have been blown up, don't know but i am just suggesting.. Maxima rocks!!
Old 06-13-2002, 09:56 AM

Re: Re: Electrical Problems?

Originally posted by Terry28

did u check your battery?? When my battery was low the fuse for the domelight kept blowing up when i start the car i instaled it two times but when i started the car the fuse blew up and the dome lighrt didn't work. But after i got the new battery the dome light was working fine. and have no problem since then. so i am just saying the fuse for the sound system might have been blown up, don't know but i am just suggesting.. Maxima rocks!!
Yeah, it looks like that is what I'm going to have to do...I can't take this battery(If that is what it is)Messing up anything else. Should I buy a red top or yellow top battery? I keep hearing people talk about them, but I have no idea what makes them so good.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Electrical Problems?

Originally posted by D & S

Yeah, it looks like that is what I'm going to have to do...I can't take this battery(If that is what it is)Messing up anything else. Should I buy a red top or yellow top battery? I keep hearing people talk about them, but I have no idea what makes them so good.
me too don't know much about the battery. I just went to a small auto shop and got a bettery for $65 and they installed the battery for me and it is working fine. and They gave me five year warranty, don't know if it will help.. But first make sure that your Battery is low or not working properly because i don't want you to by the new battery for nothing and wasting Money.. Later
Old 06-13-2002, 10:10 AM
babbsrw

: Electrical Problems?

Originally posted by Terry28

me too don't know much about the battery. I just went to a small auto shop and got a bettery for $65 and they installed the battery for me and it is working fine. and They gave me five year warranty, don't know if it will help.. But first make sure that your Battery is low or not working properly because i don't want you to by the new battery for nothing and wasting Money.. Later
I had similar problems two weeks ago. Near idle, radio or cd player would cut out. Speed back up and it would come back on. Battery would slowly discharge. Wipers were slow. Lights were dimmer than normal. Have been noticing it go south over the last few months.

Had to change the alternator. Was putting out juice, but not enough to run accessories. Know it doesn't make sense since there is a battery, but replacing alternator (already had new battery) fixed all the gremlins.

You can have it tested for free at autozone or traxauto. They can test alternator on the car. They can be sure it's putting out all the voltage it is supposed to.

Most recommend you don't buy alternator from autozone or traxauto. I bought a reconditioned Nissan alternator.

Old 06-13-2002, 10:15 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: : Electrical Problems?

Originally posted by babbsrw
Most recommend you don't buy alternator from autozone or traxauto. I bought a reconditioned Nissan alternator.

Ummmm, the guys that rebuild the alternators for Nissan are the same ones that rebuild them for AZ and other parts stores.
PLUS, alternators from most parts stores have a lifetime warranty and are a fraction of the cost of one from the dealer, which only offer a 6mo- 2 year warranty. which would you choose?
$89 lifetime warranty
OR
$189 6 mo warranty.
hmmmmm.

As for the problem at hand, checn the grounds on both amps and make sure they're connected. also check the speaker wires to make sure they're not shorting to the frame anywhere.
sounds like a loose wire on the amp's end of things.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:19 AM

If your subs were popping it sounds like a short somewhere..could certainly be in the battery itself (cells tend to self destruct sometimes) but the fuse to your amps should have blow..if you have a fuse in there (I hoope you do!). OR..check for a broken/bad ground...OR..your amps ate it. I had an amp that blew power supplies internally..popping was a symptom. I would be concerned about the subs now too. If they were popping hard, the voice coils might have experienced meltdown. After you get your new batt. check each component separately. Hook your subs up to a known good amp, or even your house system..anything to let you know they are A-OK. Then try another amp. Try running some speaker off of the deck to make sure the deck is ok too. I think you are referring to spiral core gel cell batteries. Very expensive when compared to regular lead acid, but they can be inverted, are much more reliable and are a whole lot lighter too. If you have the $$, go for it.