3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ok, unplugged the fuse for stock alarm, now I'm pretty SURE there's a problem with it

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 05:13 PM

Ok, unplugged the fuse for stock alarm, now I'm pretty SURE there's a problem with it

Ok, problem:
My stock alarm sometimes goes off for no reason, not too big of a deal.
Yesterday, at work, it went off ALL day, and it killed my battery (I know because there were some guys on strike that told me in explicit detail everything they planned on doing to it to make it shut up :>)
So, today, I unplugged the fuse to disable it, which I did without a hitch, car starts, nothing seems different...
Except one thing...
My security light keeps blinking.
Not a big deal, you say. I wouldn't think so either, except for one thing:
It's intermittent. It doesn't just blink...blink...blink...
That wouldn't bother me... Instead it's like
blink...................blink..............bli...b lin...blinkblinkblinkblink..............blibliblin kyblinkyblinkblink
Then nothing for like, 2 minutes, then it'll start doing it.
There's no pattern to it, whatsoever, which tells me that something is either A) Shorted or B) Seriously malfunctioning.
It doesn't seem to be anything mechanical, either.
And it does it with the car off, too.
Any ideas on what it might be, or should I tear it apart and figger it out for myself?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:00 PM

So, uhh, ya, anyone gonna reply to this or anything I've posted in the last week?
Ya'll complain about people not searching, but when a new problem crops up, everyone heads for the hills...
So... Any ideas?
Old 05-03-2002, 01:50 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I think you pretty much summed it up. I mean you said yourself it's nothing mechanical. Looks like you just have to put up with a blinking light...

If you're not having any problems with it then I wouldnt worry. If your car starts fine, runs fine, everything is normal except for the blinking light, then I wouldnt worry about it.

I've had a off and on blinking "Check Engine" light for as long as I've had my car. Had the dealer run diagnostic tests twice on the car and nothing came up. So I've just learned to live with it.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:48 AM

yeah i got the blinking light too...i ****ed my keypad so i think thats why...im just livin w/ it too

if u really wanna stop it take apart the dash to behind the gauges (15mins top) and take out the lightbulb for the security light..problem solved
Old 05-06-2002, 05:29 AM

The plot thickens...

Welp, I figured out that there's a short somewhere...
Know how I figgered it out?
I was driving down the street, and my alarm went off, as I was driving... With no fuse in it.
So, I need to remove the whole unit and check it out.
Now, anyone know of any downsides to removing it? I'm pretty sure, but can't remember correctly, that it is also somehow connected to the keypad.
I went thru my entire Haynes manual, and surprise surprise, no info on the alarm... <sigh>
Old 05-06-2002, 07:23 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Your factory alarm, if I'm not mistaken, protects the doors, and hood, and disables the fuel delivery. So have you checked the door pins for corrosion and the hood pin for the same?

It's definitely a short, but I'm doubting it's a dead short or the fuse should have popped. Sounds like a ground fault.

It probably didn't help, but that's MY $0.02 worth!
Old 05-07-2002, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
Your factory alarm, if I'm not mistaken, protects the doors, and hood, and disables the fuel delivery. So have you checked the door pins for corrosion and the hood pin for the same?

It's definitely a short, but I'm doubting it's a dead short or the fuse should have popped. Sounds like a ground fault.

It probably didn't help, but that's MY $0.02 worth!
No, I haven't checked them yet, I'm still trying to figure out why the alarm still goes off, without the fuse.
That's why I'm pretty sure there's a short somewhere in it, because there is NO fuse in it... And ever since I removed the fuse, now it'll go off when I'm driving.
It did it to me yesterday on the highway, everyone was looking at me like I was smoking crack when I pulled to the side and reached out the window to unlock the door