3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Took the Bose speakers out..BAD MOVE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 04:32 PM

Took the Bose speakers out..BAD MOVE

Ever since I installed my Sony MP3 player, my subs haven't played at all. Thought maybe my friend, who works at Best Buy in the installation dept., made a wiring error hooking it up. Checked the wiring and everything was fine. Took it back to him and he said it's because the Bose speakers. They always cause a lot of problems in the Maxima's. After kinda arguing with him about why they worked before he installed the MP3 player, I asked for his suggestion. WRONG MOVE !!!! He said that he recommends that I change out the Bose speakers for something else. And since I had Sony deck and Sony amp, he suggested Sony 6x9 and Sony 5 1/4. Okay fine, I went with the 6x9's ($94.00 plus tax, warranty, and install total about $140.00) for now and will get the 5 1/4 later (same price). Now I regret it !! These 6x9's do not sound as good as the Bose. They do not produce enough bass like the Bose did. With the Bose, it sounded as if they were subs. I know the Bose has it's own amp and maybe that's why I don't like the Sony 6x9's. But right now, my car sounds like ish. OH AND GET THIS !!! The problem with the subs...there is something wrong with the Sony amp !!!! I didn't even have to get the Bose speakers changed out !! DAMN !!!!!!! If any of you are deciding to change out your Bose speakers, take it from me, you DON'T want to do it, unless they are blown.

Now I am stuck with only 2 6x9 in my ride with out subs or front speakers. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

SORRY SO LONG !!
Old 03-08-2002, 05:30 PM

that sucks man
i had to get rid of mine cuz the seal was blown on the rear right
the speakers i have now i think are pretty nice, but i have noticed a difference without the amps in the back
i wish there was some way to still use the amps
oh well. just need a high output head unit
Old 03-08-2002, 06:57 PM

or

why don't you guys just spend a lil extra money and buy a 4 channel amp for your inside speakers....have to spend a lil more change, but its worth it.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:07 PM

im happy with my setup though
i have a 200 watt head unit so its not too bad
i already dumped quite a bit into the stereo
now im gonna give warpspeed a big chunk of my money
Old 03-09-2002, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Took the Bose speakers out..BAD MOVE

Ummmm....the mistake was not removing the bose speakers, your problem was the speakers that you choose to replace them with....get some better speakers and you will definitely see the difference...a much better difference....
Old 03-09-2002, 07:54 AM
STFU n00b!

that's why you don't let people at Best Buy install your stuff.

the bose system has tons of equalization to make them sound the way they do. if you dumped that much EQ into a regular set of speakers, they'd sound like that too. it's simply a matter of how bose wanted them to sound when they designed the system.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:04 AM

Why not purchase an inexspensive 2x channel amp (30watts x 2) for $60-70 and run the RCA for the sub amp to or from it. (assuming your sub amp or new amp would have RCA ins and outs, if not you could use a splitter) You could mount the amp in the trunk and connect it directly to the 6x9s. The Sonys should be able to perform better as long as they have more power. Depending on the amp you purchase, it could also have gain adjustment and bass boost if you want it to sound like the Bose.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by sxwk12
Ever since I installed my Sony MP3 player, my subs haven't played at all. Thought maybe my friend, who works at Best Buy in the installation dept., made a wiring error hooking it up. Checked the wiring and everything was fine. Took it back to him and he said it's because the Bose speakers. They always cause a lot of problems in the Maxima's. After kinda arguing with him about why they worked before he installed the MP3 player, I asked for his suggestion. WRONG MOVE !!!! He said that he recommends that I change out the Bose speakers for something else. And since I had Sony deck and Sony amp, he suggested Sony 6x9 and Sony 5 1/4. Okay fine, I went with the 6x9's ($94.00 plus tax, warranty, and install total about $140.00) for now and will get the 5 1/4 later (same price). Now I regret it !! These 6x9's do not sound as good as the Bose. They do not produce enough bass like the Bose did. With the Bose, it sounded as if they were subs. I know the Bose has it's own amp and maybe that's why I don't like the Sony 6x9's. But right now, my car sounds like ish. OH AND GET THIS !!! The problem with the subs...there is something wrong with the Sony amp !!!! I didn't even have to get the Bose speakers changed out !! DAMN !!!!!!! If any of you are deciding to change out your Bose speakers, take it from me, you DON'T want to do it, unless they are blown.

Now I am stuck with only 2 6x9 in my ride with out subs or front speakers. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

SORRY SO LONG !!
Hey I put in a total sound system in mine, no problems.
Got a Pionner cd player 50 watts x 4, 5 1/4 in front 6/9 in rear all JL audio speakers. Cost $400 for speakers, sound to die for.
Did the whole install my self. Don't trust anybody to do it!!!
Old 03-09-2002, 12:30 PM

yea, I'll never let those fools at best buys install nothin on my max ever again. Unfortunately my Bose speakers were blown when i got my max but i rode in a Max with the bose and an aftermarket HU and its sounded beautiful. Tried to get as close to the Bose sound, so i had to buy a Pioneer HU and the Pioneer EQ with Pioneer 6x9's and 5 1/4's with a Pioneer 4 channel amp and two Pioneer DVCC 12's runnin off a Sony Xplode amp (couldn't find a Pioneer amp to push em). Now thats about as close to the Bose sound as i could get!!!
Old 03-09-2002, 02:21 PM
89GXE

Kenwood all the way

I had 3 blown speakers in my car when I bought it so I don't
know how the Bose sounded before but my KDC-216S with Kenwood
6x9's in back and 5 1/4's up front sounds good to my ears and
sound better than any factory system I have heard execpt for
2002 Max with Bose and cost me less than $400, but that may not
be for everyone.

Old 03-09-2002, 02:52 PM

Re: Kenwood all the way

My bose sounds like I have subs, poeple even ask me if I have 10 inch subs in my trunk. When my bose speakers go I am just going to get new bose amps and speakers
Old 03-09-2002, 02:53 PM
KiLer

Bose rulez

Stock Bose system in my 92'......why change what sounds great...
ok so I have to bang on the console to eject the cd....still cranks and thumps.

KiLer

Old 03-09-2002, 03:15 PM

i dunno, my car came w/ sonys up front (peices of crap) and the bose in the back...either way i agree w/ what others have said about not letting others install it and running an amp to your speakers...u r going from amplifieds speakers to nonamplified ones so of course its not gonna sound as good...also, everyone knows sony makes low grade speakers...i have a sony head unit, but only b/c i got a good deal on a minidisk one...if its still possible, i'd get your money bacl on whatever u can, sony speakers r no good, im not even gonna go there on the amp...stores like best buy sell base level systems, its nothing that u can be honestly proud of, as you arent....and installing your own system is sooooo much easier than u think, i did mine w/ no previous experience...just read the instructions!!!
Old 03-09-2002, 03:35 PM

When I got my car, only one speaker worked, but the funny thing is, it sounded like all four worked!! But anyway, I got new speakers and to tell your the truth, I don't even remember what brand, but they work very nice.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:24 PM

I got my 94 SE used with a Kenwood head unit and blown Bose speakers. So, I went with Polk 6x9's in the back and 4x6's in the front. Got 'em at a good price off e-bay to boot.

The 6x9's were straight forward but the 4x6's took some rigging. I wound up re-using the plastic speaker enclosures that had held the old Bose. All I did was cut a bigger hole so the 4x6's would fit (the Polks are low profile too so that helped)into the enclosure and fasten them back into the door. I was a little skeptical if it would work or not but it sounds good, no buzzing or vibrating.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:17 PM

My old Bose setup would work (sometimes)... So I decided to take my old head unit out of my RX-7 (Kenwood KDC-7009), and go with aftermarket speakers to replace the Bose stuff. I went with Polk 4 inch (I think 4 inch) speakers up front with Base Blockers and I went with JBL 6x9's in the back. This setup sounds WAY better than the Bose system did (on those rare occasions where it really did work). Since I had the head unit sitting around anyway, it only cost me ~150 for the speakers BTW- I reused the factory bose enclosures to mount the Polks. (Dremel tool)
Old 03-10-2002, 06:02 PM

I replaced the rear speakers with some Kenwood 6x9's because they were both blown out, I didn't even bypass the amps. They sound great, and with the bass turned all the way up people think I have subs, it sounds really nice. I think one of my main amps is on its way out though.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:56 AM

You should do your own install, it's not worth it to let others play around with your ride and screw things up and PAY them to do it! The only reason you shouldn't do it would be for warranty issues, i have an eclipse deck and i only let an authorized dealer install it so i would get my 3 year warranty and 1 year theft protection! Good thing i did to, had it stolen from my car and my replacement is on the way!
Old 03-11-2002, 11:13 AM

Just be ready to spend some money on your amp and speakers. as for the head unit, i used a pioneer DEH-1000 for a while, the cheapest there is, but it works fine so long as you're using the Clarion 400.4 amp i have to power your speakers. if you want it to sound great, replace all 4 speakers, get a 4-ch amp and a single 10" sub in the trunk. i have dual 12"s but if the bose was good enough for you, then a 10 should be just fine.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My head unit went and I replaced it with a cassette/cd changer unit. The place I went to gave me this line about needing an adapter to bring the power from my aftermarket unit down, in order to have the amps on the speakers bring it back up to what the speakers would output.

Well, after 3 months of crap and $300 later for installation costs (not including the purchase of the aftermarket unit because I already had that), I had a system that sounded like sh*t. Talk about frustrated. Finally I took it to another car stereo installer in the same town and for $30 he had removed the unit, took the adapter out (that I didn't need in the first place, but was charged $75 for) and wired the system which sounded better than the bose head unit.

Don't ever let anyone tell you to put different speakers in these cars - nothing will compare to the Bose powered speakers, unless you want to put MAJOR money into the sound system, with subs and amps, etc.

Unfortunately it took $300 for me to learn that re-wiring an aftermarket head unit is not rocket science, and the runaround that I got from the original installer was a load of crap.

Originally posted by sxwk12

SORRY SO LONG !!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:52 PM

add head unit to stock bose ??

Question:

I have a stock bose system with 15wx4 panasonic casette deck.
2 12" RF subs with 4 channel amp hooked up to it.
Sounds real good even when turned up all the way - no distortion.

Im thinking about gettin the JVC SH 707 which has a PRE AMP SWITCH control - Meaning you can actually turn off the internal 200 W or so amp and only send a signal to the 4 car speakers.

Is this really possible ? Will this work if I keep my bose speakers and simply install this new HU and turn off the Pre amp switch ??

help !
Old 04-05-2002, 05:10 PM

When I got my Max, it had a brand-new JVC CD/AM/FM deck in it and only the back 2 Bose speakers worked. While I was playing around with replacing 4 defective Schuck's starters (do a search for my dilemma and its subsequent cure), I noticed that a fuse was blown on a bundle near the positive battery terminal. I replaced it and the front Bose speakers now work. I agree with an earlier poster-it sounds like I have a sub in the trunk. Now, if I could only figure out how to wire in a Sony 10 disc CD player mounted in the trunk that the last owner disconnected for some reason (they didn't have it connected when they bought the new JVC)...
Old 04-05-2002, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

stock Bose speakears and 1 boston acoustics 15" sub!
Everyone always praises the quality of the sound and remarks how well balanced the different frequencies are. the stock head unit is a banger!!
Old 04-05-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: add head unit to stock bose ??

Originally posted by pj93max
Question:

Im thinking about gettin the JVC SH 707 which has a PRE AMP SWITCH control - Meaning you can actually turn off the internal 200 W or so amp and only send a signal to the 4 car speakers.

Is this really possible ? Will this work if I keep my bose speakers and simply install this new HU and turn off the Pre amp switch ??

help !
I think I recall someone getting the exact same HU and was told that the Preamp switch would'nt work on the Max. I think it was in the Audio and Elec. Forum not too long ago.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:44 PM

I just replaced my Bose with Pioneer DEH P7200, Memphis 6.5", and MB Quart 6X9". And even with no amp driving these power hungry speakers there is no way bose could compare to the full range and SQ this set up puts out. Of course I can't play it as loud as the Bose but that is expected with the head unit putting out almost a quarter of the recommended power of the speakers. BTW I need a four channel amp if anyone is selling one.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:49 PM

You know, replacing the front speakers is pointless in my opinion. I have visonik 4.5's or something like that in the front adn polk 6x9's in the back. i can't even hear the front speakers. it's running off of an alpine hu that pushes 60 watts per speaker. it's not the speakers either, it's the da** position. do what i did and what someone else on here did, put some speakers on the top of the door above and forward of the handle, the sound is so good after that you feel like you're there.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:09 AM

Re: add head unit to stock bose ??

Originally posted by pj93max
Question:

help !
I don't think it will work. The preout signal from the bose headunits have a real wierd output (like 1/2 ohm or something).
Old 04-06-2002, 08:42 AM

if no one understood what i was talking about, here http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mtcook...c=bc%26.view=l
Old 07-22-2002, 03:29 PM
1994 se lover

amp locations

my front speakers seem to be way under powered ( and yes i know they sit low in the doors,,so they shouldnt sound loud ).. but MINE sould sound louder,,im almost positive. Does someone know where the factory amps are located? or is there only one amp,,the one between the rear speakers.

thanx chaps

Old 07-22-2002, 05:06 PM

I took out my Bose as fast as I could. I replaced it with some high-end Blaupunkt that I got for a good price. 6x9's in the back and 6.5s in the front.

The HU is 50x4, so ther is some power - I don't have an amp yet. No subs either.

I was playing it for a buddy that is kinda into car stereo, and he kept asking where the subs were. I popped the trunk and he franticly looked for the subs (trunk was empty...) finally he looks at the speakers and exclaims (in so many words) "why are they so big?!?!"

They are just 6x9's.

The only really good thing Sony makes is Palm devices.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:14 AM
THX
Hallelujah

The only really good thing Sony makes is Palm devices.
Haha, truer words were never spoken, but don't forget about their TVs and videogame system. Whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM SONY AUDIO. They focus on features and looks rather than quality and performance.

Try out Infinity or Polk if you want something similarly priced. My modest little self-installed setup will blow away a factory Blowse system. (sorry to you bose guys )
Old 07-23-2002, 05:52 AM
1994 se lover

what i am asking is ..does anyone know where the factory amps are located on a 1994 nissan maxima SE.

thanx in advance.. and congrats on the kickin stereo todamax..

Old 07-23-2002, 06:34 AM

Talk about putting major money into a system, in my max i have an Alpine CDA-7893 HU, alpine type-r 6 1/2 component system in the front doors, alpine type-r 6 1/2 component system in the rear doors and alpine type-4 6x9's in the rear deck. The alpine speakers are all hooked up to a $400 alpine amp the title of which eludes me for the moment and my 2 alpine type-r 15" are parallel wired to the MRD-500 amp.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:24 AM

My testimony...

Originally posted by 1994 se lover
what i am asking is ..does anyone know where the factory amps are located on a 1994 nissan maxima SE.

thanx in advance.. and congrats on the kickin stereo todamax..
the factory amps are within the mounts of each speaker. The front speakers are within a large box with the amp in it and the rear speakers are mounted on an adapter bracket that makes it possible to bottom mount 6x9 speakers under a 6 3/4" opening. The rear amps are part of that mounting bracket.

Matt93SE is right about the Equalization of the Bose system. It is tuned to provide the full range of sound. I agree with the fact that the rear speakers have a lot of bass and sound like subs. When it comes to replacing the rear speakers, I believe it is more worth it to spend the extra money on a complete system. That way you can tune the speakers the way you like and a sub if you wish to the music you listen to. For example, In my 91 SE, I focused on having the inside speakers being the clearest sounding with the capability to handle some power so I had infinity Kappa 4x6 front and 6 3/3" in the back and powered them on a 4 channel amp. I had 1 Pioneer Premier 12" sub that wasnt overpowering with bass, so it was clean and deep. You can see pics on my homepage.

Bose sounds great, especially for a stock system. But as we all know, it tends to crap out on us and its never as clear as a good aftermarket system. Don't forget to get stereo components that sound good for the type of music you listen to. You'll enjoy the sound because its what YOU like. The Bose amps have a volume limiter. When you turn up the volume, some of the sound peaks (most of the time its the treble-ie cymbals, hi-hats) reach the amps full load and it comprimises the other frequencies. So basically, it lowers the volume to prevent overloading.

Sony audio products are generally made for Looks and functionality as THX said. The quality is usually comprimised for the name. However, older model Sony Mobile ES product are exceptional. I have a 4 channel Sony ES amp that handles a 1ohm load and sounds incredible. I have compared it to a RF amp that I have with similar power and its like night and day.

My new max has a perfectly working Bose system, I am in the process of installing my system from my old max and I can't wait until its done. Nothing nicer than cruising with you tunes sounding just the way you like it

-Clark
Old 07-23-2002, 12:32 PM

bose

I completely disabled my bose system and put in some Infinity 2-way w/directional tweeter 6x9's in the back and some 4 1/2 in the front and it sounds great got all the bass I need.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:55 AM

Looking for speakers

I recently got a JVC HU and now I want to replace the crappy sounding bose speakers - they have NO MIDs (only highs, which are distorted at high volume).

So, herez my question for all you audio people...

What are your recommendations for good speakers that will

directly replace the bose speakers ?

I believe the bose speakers are 4 1/2 fronts / 6x9 back ?

Oh, and cost is a factor - Value is desired
Old 03-12-2008, 01:05 AM

1994 maxima ........I have an all stock bose system but my Cd player sais ERR (error). Can a replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket and still get good sound out of the bose speakers??

will the new aftermarket head unit damage the bose speakers because they are such low OHMS?

Thank you please message me
Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 AM
mod or sell?

the issue is 2 fold.
1. the bose speakers are individually amplified so from the H/U they expect a line voltage of sorts rather than a speaker output
2. the bose speakers are 1 ohm themselves (amp bypassed) and most H/U don't survive to well when run at 1 ohm rather than the more common 4 ohm.

spend your money on both a decent H/U and decent speakers, you should be able to get away for $300 easy. If you are handy with a saw and screwdriver you can do it all yourself for $175 with brand new stuff bought locally with warranty. If money is a huge issue, look at the local junk yards, they usually have aftermarket H/Us sitting on a shelf for a few bucks.

for H/U a standard single DIN will work. 6x9 speakers in the rear with no modifications and 5.25 up front with a custom made bracket (hence the saw comment earlier)
Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 AM

1994 maxima...Need to replace my bose H/U .. I see an adapter that crutchfield offers if i buy a deck through them> will this allow me to run the bose speakers off of the new aftermarket Head unit.????

The package includes the OEA-4 adapter and a Nissan-specific harness
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by sams
1994 maxima...Need to replace my bose H/U .. I see an adapter that crutchfield offers if i buy a deck through them> will this allow me to run the bose speakers off of the new aftermarket Head unit.????

The package includes the OEA-4 adapter and a Nissan-specific harness
dude... that thing is $40. I got cheap walmart speakers for that much that blow the bose speakers away....
(and I fit 6.5" in my door using home-made brackets made of plywood, btw)

Quick Reply: Took the Bose speakers out..BAD MOVE