3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Finally a coilover for 3rd gen that match J30 plus reference

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 05:32 PM

Finally a coilover for 3rd gen that match J30 plus reference

Hello,

I looked out for some coilover for rear j30, not a31, and I saw tons of post about the lack of coilovers.

I saw on rockauto they say some sweden coilover are the replacement part of our coilovers, and of the KYB RA667, and apparently, we can still get them from original factory despite the huge price.

https://web.tecalliance.net/lesjofor...rgetCountry:AT

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/...on-chassis-538

The details match, so could it possible they made one to our specs?
Old 08-20-2021, 10:26 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Swap
Hello,

I looked out for some coilover for rear j30, not a31, and I saw tons of post about the lack of coilovers.

I saw on rockauto they say some sweden coilover are the replacement part of our coilovers, and of the KYB RA667, and apparently, we can still get them from original factory despite the huge price.

https://web.tecalliance.net/lesjofor...rgetCountry:AT

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/...on-chassis-538

The details match, so could it possible they made one to our specs?
are you talking about lowering springs or actual coil overs?

this is a coil over...
https://images.rallysportdirect.com/...vss84_cuss1_01

notice the threaded strut body
notice the adjustable spring seat
the narrow spring
the top mount with camber adjustment
Old 08-27-2021, 03:13 AM

I've got a note out to this company, I suspect it's the Cefero application... but, b/c it is a US vendor... maybe for us?

https://yellowspeedracingusa.com/col...an-Maxima-1993
Old 08-30-2021, 08:12 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Richy_Rich2
I've got a note out to this company, I suspect it's the Cefero application... but, b/c it is a US vendor... maybe for us?

https://yellowspeedracingusa.com/col...an-Maxima-1993
do you want to gamble with a thousand dollars on a coil over that may or may not fit?
let's not forgot the rears on the 3rd gens are inserts since the spindle is attached to the strut so if their image is correct then this application is not for us..

is their return policy like Amazon free return then sure i'll try it out but anything less i'm not going to risk it. Many vendors out there list out the years incorrectly, esp older cars.

3rd gens are J30s. A32s were the 4th gens. so that tells me this is probably for Cefiro
Old 11-13-2021, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3rd generation coilovers

I've been chatting with someone from yellow speed racing usa on instagram because they say they hand build their products. I let him know I have an extra set of back shocks from a 94 Nissan Maxima and he said to send a email to yellow speed. Got a response and they send to send one of them and they will develop the back coilovers for the 3rd generation maxima. ( they already have coilovers that will work on the front, so to me this is great news. Hopefully it won't take to long for them to get them on the market. I'll post updates when I get new information about the coilovers
Old 11-16-2021, 04:50 AM

this is what I have done for my rears , and I'm currently working on front set up using koni yellow double adjustable with gland nut set up similar to the rear
Old 11-16-2021, 05:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm sending off a rear strut to yellow speed usa this week and they told me they would develop some coilovers for the 3rd generation maximas. They already make some that fit the front. Can you lower yours with what you made?
Old 11-16-2021, 05:54 AM

Yes fully adjustable with koni reds right now , plan to run koni yellow double adjustable (pics are what the fronts are guna look like)
I'm very interested tho in this company there a few ppl on my little crew that would be interested in a professional coilover set up regardless of price
Bc I'm in over 1500$ on my own personally build I'm doing for fronts and rears
Please keep us updated

Old 11-16-2021, 06:55 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

for the fronts make sure you have the adjustable camber plate with the ball mount made at the same time if not you'll risk snapping the top of the strut.

after all these years this may prove to be promising...
Old 11-16-2021, 10:08 AM

woah, it does seem promising.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Eric Castro
Yes fully adjustable with koni reds right now , plan to run koni yellow double adjustable (pics are what the fronts are guna look like)
I'm very interested tho in this company there a few ppl on my little crew that would be interested in a professional coilover set up regardless of price
Bc I'm in over 1500$ on my own personally build I'm doing for fronts and rears
Please keep us updated

What is the part number for the Konis?
Old 11-16-2021, 06:26 PM

koni 8610 single adjustable

Koni 8611 double adjustable
they make short enough ones for the fronts , just very expensive the double adjustable shocks come In at a little over 300-400$ per shock, there's not much suspension travel to work with when lowering the car
the rears is the opposite there long and you can use many inserts on the market and shorten the housings like Datsun and bmw guys,

Also there's the issue of not having a proper bump steer kit/ kit to raise the front roll-center geometry when lowering the car

(Pics are of a kit that 2j racing sells for b15s to fix that issue Wich I'm sure could be done on 3rd gens just as easy but with very few of us and the covid situation everything has been slow progress)

Old 11-16-2021, 06:34 PM

Also there's a person on Facebook group that uses s13 front coilovers but with cut springs in the rear 🧐

And there's another guy who had coilovers who tracks his car with
Civic front koni yellows in the front with ground control kit
And 4th gen maxima fronts in the rear with ground control kit​​

Creatively there's alot you can do LOL

I personally think IMO of course that coilovers mean different things to diffrent ppl
stanced , slammed, gud looks cheap and easy

Vs camber ,damping, rebound, pro style of coilovers that are meant for getting every possible handling advantage out of them
Old 11-17-2021, 08:41 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

About 15 years ago I learned about Konis. I was really interested in shorter than stock (4th gen mind you) struts to keep travel. The 3rd gen reds or 8610's were used by the Sentra crowd due to their short length. Most of the real info and track testing was done by the SR20 guys where I read so many threads and magazine articles. They cared about handling where the Maxima community was more about looks. Motivational Engineering, Progress, Ground Control and a few others had parts for the smaller cars which would have been sweet for us. Sadly we are a tiny market. We have made due with what is/was available and a few one off parts where some were instant flops. I wanted to try some of the ideas on my 98 and realized it wasn't economically feasible (nor am I smart enough for the math) for me and my daily. I had custom shortened Konis, GC's, and Stillen camber plates but gave up after that.

Sorry to ramble on, the key points I learned,

Caster/camber plate that mounts on the top of the strut tower adds badly needed lost travel.
The correct length strut and stroke.
The correct spring length and rate, helper/tender springs may be needed.
Bump steer kits only adjust one arc, the lower control arm needs to have the same range of motion. Perhaps an extended ball joint? Then the drive shaft might become the limiting factor which means raised engine mounts.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does your maxima corner/ handle better with the coilovers? Do you have a front strut tower bar on your maxima? They dont make em for the 94 maximas (3rd gen) But i heard the 2003 ones for maximas will fit
Old 11-18-2021, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Eric Castro

this is what I have done for my rears , and I'm currently working on front set up using koni yellow double adjustable with gland nut set up similar to the rear
Does it handle/ corner better with the coilovers? Do you have anything else on it like a front strut tower brace? They dont make them for the 3rd generations anymore, but 00-03 maxima ones will fit 3rd gen. I replaced my rear sway bar. but couldnt find a front sway bar
Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tat2Dave6669
Does it handle/ corner better with the coilovers? Do you have anything else on it like a front strut tower brace? They dont make them for the 3rd generations anymore, but 00-03 maxima ones will fit 3rd gen. I replaced my rear sway bar. but couldnt find a front sway bar

Hey bro sorry I'm not active on here much but yes some 5th gen bars will work

And I haven't installed my coilovers yet still building the rears , I'm waiting on steel sleeves to come in and I'm working on the fronts , won't be done for a wile
as far as sway bars go, imo I like stock oem SE front bar with addco rear bar
I've had st bar front and rear addco but I felt to much understeer , feels more neutral with addco rear and oem SE front