3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I changed my Maxima injectors for another kind. (Chevrolet Astra)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I changed my Maxima injectors for another kind. (Chevrolet Astra)

Hello friends.
I made a reform to change my Maxima injectors 93 by "Chevrotet Astra" injectors.
The problem is that here in Argentina, it is very difficult to get Nissan injectors. They are very expensive, each Nissan injector cost about U $ S200, Chevrolet injector, which is a common car in Argentina, each cost U $ S45, and have the same flow characteristics and impedance than the Nissan.
The problem is that the fuel income is over the top and in the Nissan, as you know, is lateral.
For that reason I had to redo the fuel injectors ramp completely.
I attach some pictures.

Injector, Top Head and ramp

Injectors in the intake, and top head

ramp

Ramp with top head welded

Ramps finished

Injector in engine

Well, the engine works very well, both high speed and idle.
In terms of consumption, highway, 130 km / h (81 mi / h) is 9km / liter (21.17 miles / gallon) in city 8Km / liter (18.82 miles / gallon), considering this is a car that does not has oxygen sensor, (the cars arrived to Argentina in the years 92-94 do not brought) is an acceptable consumption.
I hope you understand my English and help if anyone wants to do the same reform

Regards
Augusto
Old 09-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Nice job bro!..you may have solved alot of our problems with our problematic US injectors. Plus changing it over to a top feed system. Interested in what were all the materials to complete this. Great work!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:50 AM

That's some Manu Ginobili type ingenuity.. Nice work, I'm sure someone here would have given you a deal on some used injectors, or you could have ordered them online. Regardless, you saved some money and have brand new injectors. Nice job.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bigmax90
Nice job bro!..you may have solved alot of our problems with our problematic US injectors. Plus changing it over to a top feed system. Interested in what were all the materials to complete this. Great work!
Thanks bigmax90

All materials are standar steel, ramps and top head.
I made the top head with a old screw, the interior diameter is 14 mm, std with the most injectors.
I used parts of the nissan original ramp, see picture.
I welded the joints of the ramp with the injector top head with bronze (I don't know if "bronze" is the correct term), maybe is better weld with TIG

Saludos
Augusto
Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Hectic
That's some Manu Ginobili type ingenuity.. Nice work, I'm sure someone here would have given you a deal on some used injectors, or you could have ordered them online. Regardless, you saved some money and have brand new injectors. Nice job.

Gracias Hectic
Yes, off course, I saw ebay publication with the nissan injectors, but the problem is that in this "argentian political moment", is very complicate to import spare part, worse if was used.
For that reason we have to sharpen our wits!

Saludos
Augusto
Old 09-08-2014, 05:49 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Very very cool! Love the creativity and determination to get this done. Reminds me a little bit of how Cubans basically have to invent and fabricate their own parts to keep their old cars going.

How rare is the 3rd gen in Argentina? Do you ever see any when you're out driving around or are you the only person you know of in your neighborhood who has one?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Pretty cool and great fab work to fit under factory manifold. I've been converted to top feed for some time now but I am nowhere near factory manifold etc.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 PM

youve got some mad fabrication skills, pretty impressive
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 PM

Great job! I wish we got Opel Astra (Chevy) where I am at.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ajvnissan
....Well, the engine works very well, both high speed and idle.
In terms of consumption, highway, 130 km / h (81 mi / h) is 9km / liter (21.17 miles / gallon) in city 8Km / liter (18.82 miles / gallon), considering this is a car that does not has oxygen sensor, (the cars arrived to Argentina in the years 92-94 do not brought) is an acceptable consumption.
I hope you understand my English and help if anyone wants to do the same reform

Regards
Augusto
Excellent creativity with the injector modification. I find it interesting that you say that most cars come without the oxygen sensor. To me that says that your car is not running optimally. If you plugged in an O2 sensor, the car's power would go up and you would get better fuel economy. How else does the computer measure the air/fuel ratio? You have the MAF going in
but nothing to measure the results and trim the fuel mapping from reading the exhaust.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by James92SE
Very very cool! Love the creativity and determination to get this done. Reminds me a little bit of how Cubans basically have to invent and fabricate their own parts to keep their old cars going.

How rare is the 3rd gen in Argentina? Do you ever see any when you're out driving around or are you the only person you know of in your neighborhood who has one?
Hello
The 3dr gen is very rare in Argentina, there are no many. My father bought one in 1992, zero miles, and I fell in love. Also, I have same spare parts from that car.

Saludos
Augusto
Old 09-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by akurtzer57
Pretty cool and great fab work to fit under factory manifold. I've been converted to top feed for some time now but I am nowhere near factory manifold etc.
It is hard work but comforts the soul

Saludos
Augusto
Old 09-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chrome91
youve got some mad fabrication skills, pretty impressive

ajajaja, you are right, I'm mad, that said my wife

Saludos
Augusto
Old 09-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tosheto
Great job! I wish we got Opel Astra (Chevy) where I am at.

If you say by the injectors, there are many similar from other cars to make the reform

Saludos
Augusto
Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Excellent creativity with the injector modification. I find it interesting that you say that most cars come without the oxygen sensor. To me that says that your car is not running optimally. If you plugged in an O2 sensor, the car's power would go up and you would get better fuel economy. How else does the computer measure the air/fuel ratio? You have the MAF going in
but nothing to measure the results and trim the fuel mapping from reading the exhaust.
You are right, without O2 sensor the fuel control is bad, but in those years, in argentina, nobody cared about fuel economy and emissions.
I think he local dealers brought cheaper cars without sensor.
The car has MAF sensor but works in open loop.
I canīt put an O2 sensor because the ECM not have the right firmware, have an special firmware does not consider the sensor. I should change the ECU by a US ECU

Saludos
Augusto
Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing James had mentioned about how in Cuba they have to improvise using many different parts. Very impressive work ajvnissan! Way to use your wits and creativity. Nice work!