3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

GXE with SE fogs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM

GXE with SE fogs

My 91 gxe didn't come with fog lights and I'm pretty sure I have no switch. I'm looking to buy a pair of SE Fogs and want to make sure I can get them to work.

What is an easy way about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM

you could get a GXE with SE foglights as a dealer option, same as a spoiler

some GXE have the wiring for foglights already and the wiring will be tucked behind the bumper, some dont have the wiring. hit n miss i guess. i put foglights on mine and just wired them into the headlights so they were on when the headlights were
Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
you could get a GXE with SE foglights as a dealer option, same as a spoiler

some GXE have the wiring for foglights already and the wiring will be tucked behind the bumper, some dont have the wiring. hit n miss i guess. i put foglights on mine and just wired them into the headlights so they were on when the headlights were

Okay give it a go

Last edited by CarlW; 12-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Just checked and couldn't find anything. I guess I'm out of luck?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Same idea as buying universal fog lights. If no wiring exists then you can wire them directly to the headlights as said above, or you run them straight to the battery and install a switch. Its quite simple honestly. I ran 36 feet of wiring through my 01 se (powering a door shadow light.. not fogs but its the same concept) and had no issues. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 PM

yep gotta do your own wiring then
Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Is wiring them to the headlights hard? and I'm sure if my headlights are on so are my fogs right?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:53 PM

when i did it, it wasnt hard at all. i think i tapped the fogs into the power wire for the headlight bulbs, cant remember where i got ground. maybe it was the ground wire for the bulbs as well, i installed them like 5-6 years ago so fuzzy memory

you can wire them to the battery like King said as well, but thats a bit more work. you would have to install a switch and pull the wiring through the firewall so the switch is on the inside.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CarlW
Just checked and couldn't find anything. I guess I'm out of luck?
All 3rd gens should be wired for fogs. There's no variation of harnesses without fog light wiring, and because they were an option, that would be counter productive anyway. The connectors are probably just hiding from you.

I wouldn't recommend tapping into the headlamp wiring, for multiple reasons.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic

All 3rd gens should be wired for fogs. There's no variation of harnesses without fog light wiring, and because they were an option, that would be counter productive anyway. The connectors are probably just hiding from you.

I wouldn't recommend tapping into the headlamp wiring, for multiple reasons.
I agree with him! But IMO id hook them up to the battery with a switch if you cant find the fog light connectors.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:44 PM

Check what I said, there is one dash harness that is missing a wire to the fog relay, even though the connector exists. Regardless, all standard GXE should be wired, and at most, would only be missing the relay, and/or wiring from the relay to the fogs.

So if you want to do it, you should pull the steering wheel switch panel, pop a fog light switch in the blank spot, plug in the connector. Then just install a relay in the designated spot in the engine bay. If the wiring from the relay to the fogs is missing, salvage that bit of wiring from a yard and swap it over to your car.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:02 PM

Check what I said, there is one dash harness that is missing a wire to the fog relay, even though the connector exists. Regardless, all standard GXE should be wired, and at most, would only be missing the relay, and/or wiring from the relay to the fogs.

So if you want to do it, you should pull the steering wheel switch panel, pop a fog light switch in the blank spot, plug in the connector. Then just install a relay in the designated spot in the engine bay. If the wiring from the relay to the fogs is missing, salvage that bit of wiring from a yard and swap it over to your car.
Awesome! Where is the dash harness?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Would definately be a good idea to wire them seperate from the headlights that way you have the option of having them on rather than on all the time with your headlights. Just a sugestion but i found a rectangular switch that came in red, green or blue and if i can get a pic. i could show you but i found they were a perfect fit in the coin slots in front of the shifter which is where i put my floor lighting switch and being that there is 4 or 5 of these slots it's good for multiple switches side by side if you choose in the future but for my fogs i dremeled out a spot in the blank fog light option button and put a switch flush in there.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 PM

You could still wire them to the headlights and run a switch to them still.. only would come on when the headlights come on tho.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:33 PM

Update : A guy on the forum offered to give me his SE dashplate with the button for the fogs already. Would i be able to do that?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:37 PM

The dash harness is......behind the dash. But all you have to do is take of the "dashplate", find the connector and plug in the switch. Then go look in the relay box in the eng. bay, and find the spot for the fog relay. If the socket is already there, see how many of the terminals are there. If all 4 are there, that should mean all wiring is already installed and the fog light connectors are just well hidden. If there's only two, you will have to add the additional wiring to the fogs.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:44 PM

BTW, this is just the easiest way for me to help, so come back and tell me what you found. Make note of the amount of wires on the fog light switch connector as well.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:42 PM

BTW, this is just the easiest way for me to help, so come back and tell me what you found. Make note of the amount of wires on the fog light switch connector as well.
The dash harness is......behind the dash. But all you have to do is take of the "dashplate", find the connector and plug in the switch. Then go look in the relay box in the eng. bay, and find the spot for the fog relay. If the socket is already there, see how many of the terminals are there. If all 4 are there, that should mean all wiring is already installed and the fog light connectors are just well hidden. If there's only two, you will have to add the additional wiring to the fogs.
I am going to have a look as soon as the car gets back from paint. Thanks man!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 PM

I thought all GXE's came pre-wired for fogs from factory, I know mine did. Just look for those connectors. Remove your corner lamps and/or turn signal housings and you should be able to see the connectors taped to the rest of the harness. If you find them then you can install generic ones and install the relay in the relay box in front of the battery and factory foglight switch.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
I thought all GXE's came pre-wired for fogs from factory, I know mine did. Just look for those connectors. Remove your corner lamps and/or turn signal housings and you should be able to see the connectors taped to the rest of the harness. If you find them then you can install generic ones and install the relay in the relay box in front of the battery and factory foglight switch.
I am the one potentially selling him some fog lights.

Which relay is it? I sold my car, but I still have a box of relays from a 93 SE I parted out. I will throw that in there if he buys them.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM

^Blue
Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I am the one potentially selling him some fog lights.

Which relay is it? I sold my car, but I still have a box of relays from a 93 SE I parted out. I will throw that in there if he buys them.
This is the fog lamp relay from the same 1990 maxima I pulled the 5 speed out of last week. It is hard to read the part numbers but you could match one up to it I'm sure.

2523_ C9970 D73N
Attached Thumbnails GXE with SE fogs-100_2241.jpg  

Last edited by Grumpy560; 01-17-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Way out West

OK, I have 4-5 of them and they all are the same.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just follow the wires connected to your headlights. On my 93GXE I followed the wires to my headlights down into the bumper and found the fog light wiring. They have brown caps over them. You may have to cut a zip tie to separate them. Just get some OEM Fog lights and you can hook them up no problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM

Update: I can't find the wiring.

Near the hood release lever I did see a part of the dash that comes out. I took it out and there were these colorful chips. On the part of the dash was a legend type thing telling me for example that chip #3 was my cigarette lighter. I went through and looked at it and it says that 15A should be my fog lamp chip.

That's the only one missing. Help?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM

just wire in your own toggle switch. I just had a small spot dremeled out where the blank for the fog lights is and fit the switch in nice and flush and looks stockish and not like a hack job.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM

There's a dummy button for cars that didn't get the Fog light options see picture of me holding up the dummy switch and the fog light switch I got from junkyard.

2 fuses for the fog lights one 15A that was in the car, which you found and one that is under the hood.

The one under the hood is the blue cube that is in an earlier switch. My fuse box is by the battery under the coolant reservoir. It is labeled FOG LAMP mines scratched up though. I have ABS on my car so your fuse box may be on the passenger side if you don't have ABS.

Find the wiring that is already in place for the fog lights usually taped to another set of wires or zip tied.

Mine was kind of under the air intake on the driver side.

Passenger side wire was easy to find. After you free the wires up that have the brown plugs at the end fit them through the fog wire slots in the bumper.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by generation3
There's a dummy button for cars that didn't get the Fog light options see picture of me holding up the dummy switch and the fog light switch I got from junkyard.

2 fuses for the fog lights one 15A that was in the car, which you found and one that is under the hood.

The one under the hood is the blue cube that is in an earlier switch. My fuse box is by the battery under the coolant reservoir. It is labeled FOG LAMP mines scratched up though. I have ABS on my car so your fuse box may be on the passenger side if you don't have ABS.

Find the wiring that is already in place for the fog lights usually taped to another set of wires or zip tied.

Mine was kind of under the air intake on the driver side.

Passenger side wire was easy to find. After you free the wires up that have the brown plugs at the end fit them through the fog wire slots in the bumper.

Quick question: what if don't have a 15A fuse? That's my only fuse missing.
Edit: I'll try and get pictures tomorrow
Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Then go buy a 15A fuse or get one from the junkyard if you're getting other parts.

Also, if your car is that baby blue one, you'll probably need to remove a small part of your bumper to get to the factory mount locations for the fog lights. There's a piece in the middle where air comes in that has like 5 or 6 rectangles going along the bumper that you'll have to take off. It's held on by 10MM bolts

Last edited by generation3; 02-21-2014 at 07:00 AM.