3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need Name For Engine Hose And Question About Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Need Name For Engine Hose And Question About Heater Core

RE: 1991 Maxima SE

I have a 3.0 (this may be a 3.5 that I copied from one of the threads), but this is the hose that I need. What is it called?

Under this connection to the firewall, there is a white pipe extending below it, with a frayed end. Nothing is attached to it. From what I understand, this is the heater core pipe.

Do I order just a new heater core or do I need more parts? Thanks, BA.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan calls that a blow by hose. There are a couple with the same name, different part number. You should be ok with generic hose from your local parts store.

Or:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1612_1619.html

And when you say that pipe has a frayed end how bad is it? Someone must have bypassed your heater core for a reason and for your sake I hope its not because the heater core is bad. Can you get a picture of this frayed end?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
I miss my VE

Does your heat work?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM

my heater doesnt work either, is there an easy way to tell whats wrong?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 AM

No, Heater Doesn't Work

It is my understanding, that when a heater core breaks, water will leak from it onto the passenger side floor board. I'm thinking that the previous owner disconnected the hose from the firewall to overcome this dilemma. I have a photo herewith of a heater core, as you will take note, it has two pipes extending from it. Being that I don't have a diagram that depicts how this is connected to the heater hose, this too, will be something that I will need advice on.

Today, I will photograph the pipe extending from my firewall, so that one of the forum members can give me their opinion on its condition.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 AM

The white pipe as you call it is regular heater hose with a heat deflecting shield on it to prevent the exhaust manifold heat from cooking it.

The heater may not work for several reasons. The heater core could be plugged up, the valve that allows water to circulate through the heater core could be bad, the connection from the temperature control in the dash to the water valve could be messed up or you may have an air bubble in the heater core and need to bleed your cooling system.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The white pipe as you call it is regular heater hose with a heat deflecting shield on it to prevent the exhaust manifold heat from cooking it.

The heater may not work for several reasons. The heater core could be plugged up, the valve that allows water to circulate through the heater core could be bad, the connection from the temperature control in the dash to the water valve could be messed up or you may have an air bubble in the heater core and need to bleed your cooling system.
Is running a water hose through the heater core the best way to unclog it?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 AM

If you are going to try a "power flush" with a garden hose, there are certain cautions to observe. To start with, there are no guarantees that this will work. Sometimes the sludge hardens into a rock-like substance and you are s.o.l. regardless of what you do.

But to do a flush, you want to have the water flowing through the heater core in reverse of normal to push the crud out backwards instead trying to force it all the way through the core. Make sure you have disconnected the water valve from the heater core when you do this. And lastly, go easy with the water pressure. Start out slow and increase the pressure. The last thing you want to do is explode your heater core and flood your car.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you are going to try a "power flush" with a garden hose, there are certain cautions to observe. To start with, there are no guarantees that this will work. Sometimes the sludge hardens into a rock-like substance and you are s.o.l. regardless of what you do.

But to do a flush, you want to have the water flowing through the heater core in reverse of normal to push the crud out backwards instead trying to force it all the way through the core. Make sure you have disconnected the water valve from the heater core when you do this. And lastly, go easy with the water pressure. Start out slow and increase the pressure. The last thing you want to do is explode your heater core and flood your car.
Thanks Mik