3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto Trans Question's

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Auto Trans Question's

My trans is starting to take a little longer to shift from 1st to 2nd gear, like its slower shifting not that its shifting at a higher rpm and I was wondering if this is a sign my trans is going or could it be the colder weather? Time to change trans fluid?

Also should my trans be "rev matching" Ive noticed that if I left off the gas completely on the highway and get back into it the revs will jump and settle back down....is this normal?

Ive noticed lately I can feel every single shift the trans is making...maybe my mounts are shot....any incite will help...thanks guys..

BTW 93 gxe auto trans with only 140k miles Ive owned it since 96k miles
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Many things can affect the shifts, including engine mounts, TPS slightly out of spec (this affects the fluid pressure). The rev matching, yeah that sounds right.
After driving the car around the block or so, stop the car, and check tranny fluid level with car still on, make sure its within the lines. Also, see if the color is cherry color, should not be brown or black.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM

for starters check the fluid level, with the tranny warm go to a level surface and shift from P all the way down to 1 and leave it in P again and with the car running, check the dipstick.

some weird tranny stuff doesnt mean the tranny is gonna go soon, i remember on mine years ago going from R to D it would sometimes slam so hard for no reason that the whole car shook. i had the same thing as you, you could feel all the shifts especially 1-2. then, drive to reverse would sometimes make a loud knock. then the tranny blew 1st gears clutch band i think lol. but i think for probably 8-10,000km i had funky stuff going on

best advice i can give you is switch your tranny fluid to Royal Purple ATF and check your motor mounts. also, leave the tranny in comfort setting. when i switched to Royal Purple, there was a huge difference in shifting and R to D was buttery.