3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Hit and run three weeks ago

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hit and run three weeks ago

A few weeks ago I decided, against my better judgment, to take the car out one night with a few friends to a neighbourhood pub for a few drinks. I don't normally take the Maxima anywhere that I am not in eyesight with it the whole time, and of course, the one time I do, some idiot, probably drunk, backs into the front driver's light smashing it. Here is a pic of the damage:

Now these aren't just the stock lights, but ones I retrofitted, and I have about 20-30 hours of custom work into the pair. Here is my thread on it: http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...fit-build.html

I have since fixed the body/hood through insurance, but am now trying to source the glass from the 89-94 euro headlights to replace my smashed up one.

Unfortunately, it seems like they are no longer in production, and no one online has a set in stock. I have a WTB post in the classifieds section, and just wanted to write here in hopes of reaching a broader userbase to try and find them. If anyone has a set they aren't using or even just the driver's side, I would be forever grateful! This is what they look like:

Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Ebay still has them, gonna cost you your left nut though. maybe ask if he'll sell one individually

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maxim...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by mszilves
A few weeks ago I decided, against my better judgment, to take the car out one night with a few friends to a neighbourhood pub for a few drinks. I don't normally take the Maxima anywhere that I am not in eyesight with it the whole time, and of course, the one time I do, some idiot, probably drunk, backs into the front driver's light smashing it. Here is a pic of the damage:

Now these aren't just the stock lights, but ones I retrofitted, and I have about 20-30 hours of custom work into the pair. Here is my thread on it: http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...fit-build.html

I have since fixed the body/hood through insurance, but am now trying to source the glass from the 89-94 euro headlights to replace my smashed up one.

Unfortunately, it seems like they are no longer in production, and no one online has a set in stock. I have a WTB post in the classifieds section, and just wanted to write here in hopes of reaching a broader userbase to try and find them. If anyone has a set they aren't using or even just the driver's side, I would be forever grateful! This is what they look like:

They had to hit the F'in headlight!!! Couldn't of hit the tail light or something right!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
They had to hit the F'in headlight!!! Couldn't of hit the tail light or something right!!!
I know!!!! If I didn't back into the spot, it would've probably just been a scratch on the back bumper!!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
Ebay still has them, gonna cost you your left nut though. maybe ask if he'll sell one individually

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maxim...Q5fAccessories
Actually, I did buy these, only to get an email from the guy 5 days later saying they weren't available from the manufacturer (apparently China), and "might" be 10 weeks to get them, if they're still being made! I also pretty much searched every online store listing them, no one actually has them in stock.

That's why I figured maybe someone here might have a pair. I was thinking that when I originally bought them, I should buy two in case something like this happened, but what are the odds right?

Still holding out hope for the time being...

Last edited by mszilves; 04-09-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Wow didn't know these were already drying up. I was planning on picking up a set of these for another future e36 conversion but with glass lenses instead of the plastic Wade covers.

I had no clue these would disappear. Shouldve acted sooner I guess
Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 PM

ah i havent seen some on here for a while, i bought mine from a member in BC here, i think i paid $50 and theyre in great shape

ive seen about 2-3 3rd gens at the junkyard with these in the last year

people say the clears give worse output than OEM headlights but ive gotten 2x better light from the clears, but my drivers headlight connector is screwed up so ive got one JDM yellow bulb in the passenger side lol
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 AM

That's the thing about dealing with some of these companies and modifying/fabbing one off parts......By the way that really a nice paint job on that hit car....
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM

ah i havent seen some on here for a while, i bought mine from a member in BC here, i think i paid $50 and theyre in great shape

ive seen about 2-3 3rd gens at the junkyard with these in the last year

people say the clears give worse output than OEM headlights but ive gotten 2x better light from the clears, but my drivers headlight connector is screwed up so ive got one JDM yellow bulb in the passenger side lol
Do you remember which wrecker? I might have to go take a look around...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mszilves
Do you remember which wrecker? I might have to go take a look around...
Pick N Pull here, it seems theres either a ton of 3rd gens or not many. last fall i went and there were 2 VE 5spd, 1 VE auto, and 3 or 4 GXE at once but right now theres one GXE only

its hit or miss if they have Euro headlights, few 3rd gens there are modded but ive seen a few that had alot of work into them. now i wish i grabbed the Euro headlights because i didnt think they were getting rare
Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Well, after trying to source these from literally every place online as well as locally, I'm starting to lose hope.

I'm really hoping that someone on here is able to help. If someone either has a set for sale (I actually only really need the driver's side), or knows someone that does, or would be willing to sell theirs, please let me know. I would be willing to pay a good price as well as for all costs (shipping etc) and for your troubles.

I would really appreciate it!! This car means alot to me, and it's killing me right now every time I look at it. I know it's a long shot, but these forums and the 3rd gen community on here are absolutely great, and hopefully something works out.

Thanks in advance for all your guys' help.

-Mark
Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Way out West

I would recommend just putting in the stock lights for now and keep hammering on companies to get them in stock. Maybe some other .org members can call, too. If they get enough calls and emails, they should try to get more.

10 weeks (2.5 months) isn't a terrible wait on something.

Overall, the story sucks, but that's what happens sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, there is a guy at my work that has a 1957 Chevy Nomad. He bought it about 10 years ago, worked on it all this time, put tens of thousands of dollars into it and finally got it finished last year. This past summer he drove it about 300 miles to a Nomad meet, I think it was in Idaho or Montana. On the way back a deer jumped out in front of him and completely smashed the front, hood and windshield. He had put all that time and money into it, drove it less than 500 miles since finishing and now it is back in the shop. Luckily, he had insurance and lots of photos of the work. I think he said it was like $15k to fix it. When it gets done (again), I was going to take nice photos of it for him.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
I would recommend just putting in the stock lights for now and keep hammering on companies to get them in stock. Maybe some other .org members can call, too. If they get enough calls and emails, they should try to get more.

10 weeks (2.5 months) isn't a terrible wait on something.

Overall, the story sucks, but that's what happens sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, there is a guy at my work that has a 1957 Chevy Nomad. He bought it about 10 years ago, worked on it all this time, put tens of thousands of dollars into it and finally got it finished last year. This past summer he drove it about 300 miles to a Nomad meet, I think it was in Idaho or Montana. On the way back a deer jumped out in front of him and completely smashed the front, hood and windshield. He had put all that time and money into it, drove it less than 500 miles since finishing and now it is back in the shop. Luckily, he had insurance and lots of photos of the work. I think he said it was like $15k to fix it. When it gets done (again), I was going to take nice photos of it for him.
Terrible Cliff how these things happen. Sometimes it seems that the more you try to take care of something the more sh*t happens!

My only concern with the lights is that if they are out of production. Almost every online place seems to have the same source in Taiwan, yet none are willing to provide contact information, or ETA for stock. I can only wait and hope at this point...
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 PM

looked online and theres a 94, 92, and 3 91s that just got on the yard, i might make a run Sunday and can see if any have the clear headlights
Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 PM

looked online and theres a 94, 92, and 3 91s that just got on the yard, i might make a run Sunday and can see if any have the clear headlights
That would be fantastic buddy! Would really appreciate it. PM me if you find anything.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 PM

yeah i saw one of the 91's a week and a bit ago, stock Brougham. hoping at least one of the other 4 has some mods i can take lol
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM

sorry chief no dice, all had OEM headlights.

still cant fathom though, one of the 91's was a GXE and it had a SE cluster swap and a 5spd swap. it had GXE rims, mirrors, tails, and no spoiler. pretty impressive since thats not done much here

early 80's 200sx with a Z engine swap, so much want lol. i cant believe people dump stuff like that at junkyards
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 PM

still cant fathom though, one of the 91's was a GXE and it had a SE cluster swap and a 5spd swap. it had GXE rims, mirrors, tails, and no spoiler. pretty impressive since thats not done much here

early 80's 200sx with a Z engine swap, so much want lol. i cant believe people dump stuff like that at junkyards
Crappy!! Thanks for taking a look
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM

I know. I just wish they take most these cars to some desert "junkyard" and never scrap any of them...

except Camrys.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:14 PM

eh a Camry saved my **** once, it started to pour there and the closest cleanest car was a old Camry so i camped out in it for 15 minutes

its just sad to see 510, RX3, 200sx, 240z, etc there. youre never gonna see cars like that again
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

both my Z's are going to the JY this month and my Maxima went last month... so that would be maybe the only 5spd GXE that my local JY has ever had. to the trans isn't in it.. just the pedal/shifter/hydraulics.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 PM

wtf why are both Z going? i thought 1 was for parts and 1 was for building? at least try to sell them to someone lol

that 200sx was amazing though, Z engine and such
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM

wtf why are both Z going? i thought 1 was for parts and 1 was for building? at least try to sell them to someone lol

that 200sx was amazing though, Z engine and such
this!!!

If I had enough room for you cars. I would have gotten it from you.