3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Upgrading Fuel Injector Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Upgrading Fuel Injector Connectors

Hey too those who own 1989-91 Maxima know how hard it is to plug and unplug those earlier style VG fuel injector connectors....Either you drop and lose the lock pins or the dust/weatherboot are all broken and cracked up, letting the elements/moisture into your connector pins leaving you with corroded pins and bad continuity!!!!!! I decided to upgrade to 92-94 connectors and brand spanken new injectors!!!! Me and My Dad found a good 94 Maxima in the junk yard today and get them all spliced in today.....Monday, I will order the injectors......

Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 AM

I bought new square clip connectors to fit 89-91 off ebay and soldered them into the loom. Haven't had any corrosion on the new injectors. Vg30
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 AM

The front bank (2,4,6) injectors have a subharness which was P-N-P into the main engine harness, and the rear bank (1,3,5) were soldered into the wiring harness using crimped in and then soldered butt splices and heatshrink, now I'll need to retape and secure the wiring harness back into it's protective casing loom...I wanted to ensure the splicing was gonna be secure inside the loom, isolated from vibration and movement.....I reallly like these connectors they are so much easier to manage!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM

i been looking to buy these damn connectors and i never found them. i have a 90 max and mine are jacked up. where can i buy these? if you where to make me a pair like urs how much would u charge for em?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Where is that subharness? I fear it's hard to get to without unscrewing something in the engine bay.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
i been looking to buy these damn connectors and i never found them. i have a 90 max and mine are jacked up. where can i buy these? if you where to make me a pair like urs how much would u charge for em?
I didn't make them...the front bank subharness is plug and play from a 92-94 VG Maxima....the other three pigtails were cut off a 92-94 wiring harness and splice into my 1990 harness.....

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
Where is that subharness? I fear it's hard to get to without unscrewing something in the engine bay.
the front bank subharness is plugged up under the EGR valve and is attached to the front cylinders 2,4,6....these are the 2 subharness 89-91 and 92-94 newer connectors at top,....older connectors @ bottom:

Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 PM

i didnt know they came of that easy like unplugging the light bulb. imma head to JY this weekend then. thanks bro.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
i didnt know they came of that easy like unplugging the light bulb. imma head to JY this weekend then. thanks bro.
Be aware that the 93-94 plugs will not fit on the 89-92 injectors. As CMax mintioned on his OP he is also getting the injectors.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
Be aware that the 93-94 plugs will not fit on the 89-92 injectors. As CMax mintioned on his OP he is also getting the injectors.
o ok thanks i didnt catch that part.
but i still didnt know the connectors were able to unplug like that lol
i thought it was attatched not plugged. ill get connectors from a 90 - 92 max from the JY
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Look at any VE, 92-94 VG, 95-2000 Altima or 4th Gen VQ Maxima and those plugs are a simply squeeze and release design....not attached with metallic spring clip that is easy to lose nor does the newer style have that sorry weather seal that's guaranteed to dry rot.....it's easier to detach/attach and provide better weatherproofing than the old style!!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:47 PM

You're also going to need the rails for the 92-94 injectors. If someone wants a set of these connectors, let me know because I have a set laying around that I never used, ended up selling the injectors themselves.

Last edited by Hectic; 03-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You're also going to need the rails for the 92-94 injectors. If someone wants a set of these connectors, let me know because I have a set laying around that I never used, ended up selling the injectors themselves.
The rails look the same to me the injector connection style is what changed fuelrail appears identical, but yeah it looks like the bottom orings are different dimensions all together....I'll get some (just in case) and mod them like my present 1990 fuel rails were done also!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
The rails look the same to me the injector connection style is what changed fuelrail appears identical, but yeah it looks like the bottom orings are different dimensions all together....I'll get some (just in case) and mod them like my present 1990 fuel rails were done also!!!!
The injectors are completely different design. Neither will work in the other's rail.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Yeah it's different @ the lower position inside of the injector holder......
Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Got the fuel rail from that 94.....Gotta mod it to ensure no restrictive fuel flow like I did my previous fuel rail! Also I will be transferring that NISMO adapter from the old fuel rail as well.....!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 PM

Well folks I've got some pics regarding the Fuel rails of the 89-92 Vs 93-94 VG powered Maxima(s) and the differences....

1. The pintle sticks out further on the early version and the hole for the infector is bigger on the older fuelrail (89-92) on the Left & (93-94) on the right:

Retaining Caps are different as well (89-92) on right/(93-94) on left:
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM

There's one more piece too this puzzle no one mentioned! The inlet plate that's sandwiched between the plenum (Upper intake manifold) & the Lower intake manifold are different from each other as well.....since that retaining caps on the fuel injectors are taller on the 93-94 the inlet plate provides more clearance with it's deeper recessed cut outs.....So the inlet plate is also needed for this mod to work properly. I measured about a .030" difference roughly in the material thickness between the 2 inlet plate designs.....I'll post pictures later these morning.......
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Here are the pic showing the differences in the inlet plates of 89-92 & 93-94 VG30E that must also be used with the later VG injectors.....I will be doing a mock up assy with the LIM, Late model Fuel rail and both the early & later inlet plate designs

See how the recess is deeper on the Later design (93-94) compared to the early shallow recess! The earlier is thicker in the recessed area, which may interfere with the taller (93-94) injector retaining caps:

The recess areas are also shaped differently when compared:

Here's another angle of the (2) recessed areas, Later on bottom:
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM

I'll pobably grind my existing recess pads down another .040-.100"......with my die grinder.....it's won't be anything too difficult!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM

As excited as I can see you are about your discoveries this all seems a huge effort just to upgrade injector connectors. is there any benefit of upgrading the injectors themselves as well?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
As excited as I can see you are about your discoveries this all seems a huge effort just to upgrade injector connectors. is there any benefit of upgrading the injectors themselves as well?
Yeah more reliablity, ease of removal and installation......This isn't a tremendous undertaken just noting all the things that's seem to vary between the too designs.....The original connects suck due too the seal design (connector pins were always green or corroding)and the newer are more bulletproof and easier to install and remove.....
Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 PM

Laying my LIM out doing a mock up trail fit and modifying my new 93-94 fuelrail to remove any restrictions and to remove the OEM FPR and install my Nismo adapter fitting.......
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 PM

I'll diegrind the bottom side of my (Lower plemun adapter plate) to give the clearance I need for the taller injector retaining caps........
Old 05-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Well I did a mock fit using the LIM, fuel rail, and lower plenum inlet plate and I even used the later piece and port matched it to the LIM......I may modify my original inlet plate which needed some of the rib strengthens ground down!

Last edited by CMax03; 05-28-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 AM

Well guys my Oem 93-94 injectors finally arrived and it's time to reassemble all this and get my car back to rolling ASAP ......ABC Nissan has a the lowest price plus a 5% discount as well....I'll be doing my Dad's injector today on Maxitech's former car we're just replacing 1 which was missing @ low RPM but worked @ higher RPM....
Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Just finished my Dad's 93 Max along with him and yeah it's running sweet and smooth now! Ain't nothing like a happy VG30E.... Looks like it's pulling pretty hard as well now! We modded alot of crap such as the trashing of those Nissan Oem valve cover screws in exchange for M6x100 bolts and new seals and retainer cups...we also trashed all those sorry a$$ fuel injector screws in exchange for SS allen head bolts! So much easier to install and remove! I'm working on a POS 2002 Saturn Vue (V6) with a blown Head gasket(s)....Man are our Nissan V6 nicely built compared to this ****!!!! You gotta pull the entire IM to change a thermostat or do a compression test or change any of the spark plugs....Wow it makes me love my VG30 and VQ35 to death!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Just finished my Dad's 93 Max along with him and yeah it's running sweet and smooth now! Ain't nothing like a happy VG30E.... Looks like it's pulling pretty hard as well now! We modded alot of crap such as the trashing of those Nissan Oem valve cover screws in exchange for M6x100 bolts and new seals and retainer cups...we also trashed all those sorry a$$ fuel injector screws in exchange for SS allen head bolts! So much easier to install and remove! I'm working on a POS 2002 Saturn Vue (V6) with a blown Head gasket(s)....Man are our Nissan V6 nicely built compared to this ****!!!! You gotta pull the entire IM to change a thermostat or do a compression test or change any of the spark plugs....Wow it makes me love my VG30 and VQ35 to death!!!!
Yep. I watch the techs here do it all day long. And boy do they get depressed and b1tch.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Yeah boy now that I got a Z31 I'm a VG loving fool...in fact I met a couple of guys from Z31performance.com today when we parted out a Shiro (special version of the Z31)...l got hooked up with parts and exchanged contact info with some VG tweakers who are just glad to share their knowledge with an enthusiast.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 07-07-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 PM

Well guys My Dad and I started the car today after reassembling everything and Of course it started on the first crank.....and started sound like a piece of cardboard stuck in the radiator fan....I believe it's actually my hydraulic lifters that I didn't prime nor soak in a bucket of oil before assembly......We removed all the drive belts and checked the water pump, altenator, power steerng pump and tensioner pulleys for rough bearings or binding! It's coming from up top and I'm sure it's the lifters! But beside that the Engine is immaculate and my new injectors, collector plate, connectors, and subharness was beautifully done....... thanks Dad!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CMax03:

I checked the MM on our problem. Check pgs 2A8-10. I hope we can solve this problem without any major disassembly.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Pockittin thanks for your advice and help, but Well the tappets must have bleed the air out over night cause that rattling is gone and the idle surge was the Throttle being too tight....set the timing, and a few odds and ends!!! Car pulls great still need to address a small rear main seal leak (Quarter size) The car sounds great and the injectors seem awesome !
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CMax03:

I am glad that the lifters self bled and didn't require a teardown and rebuild to correct this oversight. It was a pleasure to cruise the hiway again after such a long downtime.

On another subject:

Why is it as I browse this BB. Attempting to catch up on the years of info that has flowed before my joining am I continually logged off. I can see it if I went to take a dump, answer a long phone call or go do a Honey Do or something, but I am constantly active scrolling, reading and moving around. Am I doing something wrong or is it in my CP settings or something?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pockittin
CMax03:

I am glad that the lifters self bled and didn't require a teardown and rebuild to correct this oversight. It was a pleasure to cruise the hiway again after such a long downtime.

On another subject:

Why is it as I browse this BB. Attempting to catch up on the years of info that has flowed before my joining am I continually logged off. I can see it if I went to take a dump, answer a long phone call or go do a Honey Do or something, but I am constantly active scrolling, reading and moving around. Am I doing something wrong or is it in my CP settings or something?
Umm... You got me. Server issue maybe?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Maybe your computer is timing out?????
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Well bad news guys at least for me! Coming home from work today stepped into the throttle a little maybe 3500-3800 rpm and my F**king brand new timing belt popped which was not making any noise! That being too tight and too loose!!!!! I'm wordless and fully understand why I prefer a double roller chain.....I'm not sure what the culprit is but the engine was quiet and running smooth enough to set a glass of water on and not worry about it walking off the engine intake manifold....i've built many timing belt driven engines and I'm totally stoked as too WTF is happening! I was really making sure I did tighten that belt too much and I measured that approx. 1/2" belt deflection @ 22 pounds between the tensioner and the rear sprocket....My car was running so sweet It hurts enough too almost cry guys......I'll tear it down to see what happen....but I heard it pop so maybe something froze up! ??????????? don't know !!!!! Totalled 39.4 miles on the engine rebuilt I haven't given up yet....But man I'm feeling like maybe that NAPA belt prematurely ejaculated all over my engine!!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM

Maybe a Kevlar timing belt is what I'll need.....
http://www.importpartspro.com/poensustiivg.html
Old 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Maybe a Kevlar timing belt is what I'll need.....
http://www.importpartspro.com/poensustiivg.html
i wouldn't hesitate.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
i wouldn't hesitate.
Kyle emailed me and stated that the Kevlar belts they carry are for the VG30DETT not my poor little SOHC....VG!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 AM

I've responsed to bring forth this thread for the lost Orger and I hope it's helpful!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Napa belt...ever try oem?

Quick Reply: Upgrading Fuel Injector Connectors