3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Window Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM

Window Motor

Just a quick question for those who have changed out a window motor. I'm removing the passenger rear motor and regulator. At the top of the motor there seems to be a coil of wire attached to the motor which I can't see how to remove. There isn't exactly alot of room for my hands to squat in there to maneuver things around.

Does anyone know how to get this off? I took off the interior plastic door panel, but the metal on inside of that is tack welded so there isn't any removing that correct?

Also, the regulator.....is that a switch or is it the long steel track that holds the window in place at whatever setting it is at?

Thanks, trying to remove this for another member here and couldn't find an answer in the sticky's or anywhere
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 PM

You say you're removing the motor and regulator... but you're not sure what the regulator is? That's a pretty important thing to know But, it's the long steel track that the window goes up and down on, as you can see on page 3 here:

http://www.a1electric.com/maximareg.htm

This is the tutorial I used when I needed to pull both my rear regulators/motors. You're correct, you can't take any metal off, just gotta work the regulator out. It's easier with two people, so one person can hold the window up while you're doing that, and keep it in position when you're screwing it back on. Preferably, one of those people should have small hands...

The wire you're referring to is probably your regulator cable, which as you can see from the pics on page 3 of that tutorial, connects the motor and regulator. You don't need to worry about taking anything off, you can pull everything out in one piece after unscrewing.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by speedycat
You say you're removing the motor and regulator... but you're not sure what the regulator is? That's a pretty important thing to know But, it's the long steel track that the window goes up and down on, as you can see on page 3 here:

http://www.a1electric.com/maximareg.htm

This is the tutorial I used when I needed to pull both my rear regulators/motors. You're correct, you can't take any metal off, just gotta work the regulator out. It's easier with two people, so one person can hold the window up while you're doing that, and keep it in position when you're screwing it back on. Preferably, one of those people should have small hands...

The wire you're referring to is probably your regulator cable, which as you can see from the pics on page 3 of that tutorial, connects the motor and regulator. You don't need to worry about taking anything off, you can pull everything out in one piece after unscrewing.

Bless your cotton socks lol.

I just have to find a way to keep the window up after it's out
Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
Bless your cotton socks lol.

I just have to find a way to keep the window up after it's out
Take the window out of the door to change the regulator.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by akurtzer57
Take the window out of the door to change the regulator.
Ummmm I dunno how to do that since that metal panel is welded to the door. I'm just going to use Speedycat's reply and post back.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:54 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

To keep the glass up afterwards, just put a 3" or so screw into/through the metal panel right under the glass. The bottom of the glass will rest on the screw

Or you could take a metal coat hanger, and put the hook down in between the metal panel and the glass. Hook it under the glass, and then bend it down around the top of the metal panel, and down to the metal bracket on the door that the handle bolts to. Wrap the end of the coat hanger around this metal bracket and voila
Old 12-14-2010, 05:14 PM

IDK i always take the glass out of the door when i do a regulator, but if you can't i would just run a nice thick bead of quick set epoxy along the top of the window, close it until it sets and that should hold it in place leaving both your hand free to do the job!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM

It's really unnecessary to take the glass out of the 3rd gen to do the regulator.. Especially on the rear it's kind of a pain to remove the glass, especially if you don't need to

All you need to do on the 3rd gen is lower it to unbolt the glass from the regulator brackets with the two 10mm bolts. Then tape the glass up to hold it up while you're working on it. Masking tape works just fine. Put one end of the tape on one side of the glass (either inside or outside), then go up over the door, and then tape the other end onto the other side of the glass. I usually do two "strips". Works perfect

Why in the world you would want to glue your window "shut" just to do the regulator?

Also, Bassbreaker - you didn't search hard enough

This has been up/around for about 10 years now

http://4dsc.com/articles/interior/wi...lator_cb.shtml

http://4dsc.com/articles/interior/wi...egulator.shtml

Last edited by James92SE; 12-14-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
It's really unnecessary to take the glass out of the 3rd gen to do the regulator.. Especially on the rear it's kind of a pain to remove the glass, especially if you don't need to

All you need to do on the 3rd gen is lower it to unbolt the glass from the regulator brackets with the two 10mm bolts. Then tape the glass up to hold it up while you're working on it. Masking tape works just fine. Put one end of the tape on one side of the glass (either inside or outside), then go up over the door, and then tape the other end onto the other side of the glass. I usually do two "strips". Works perfect

Why in the world you would want to glue your window "shut" just to do the regulator?

Also, Bassbreaker - you didn't search hard enough

This has been up/around for about 10 years now

http://4dsc.com/articles/interior/wi...lator_cb.shtml

http://4dsc.com/articles/interior/wi...egulator.shtml

:P I was going to use a wire coat hanger, same as you suggested, but my gf seems to think wire hangers arn't very nice and uses only plastic ones...they suck haha...i'll use the taping method. Would have gotten it out yesterday only for the fact of rain.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 AM

Put the window in the up position and remove the motor.....It's straight forward....I did all 4 of my a few years back!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Put the window in the up position and remove the motor.....It's straight forward....I did all 4 of my a few years back!
The window IS in the up position. But when i take out the regulator AND the motor it's going to drop. So i'm just going to use James92SE's suggestion of either the screw or coat hanger...or tape if it drys off
Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I have replaced all four window regulators. Now the passenger front window motor has gone out. Does anyone know where to buy a new window motor for less than a $135.00? Thnx
Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by tam403
Well, I have replaced all four window regulators. Now the passenger front window motor has gone out. Does anyone know where to buy a new window motor for less than a $135.00? Thnx
RockAuto.com is your friend

$34.79

Use this code to get an extra 5% off (put this code in the "how did you hear about us?" box):

Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 AM

last night my rear drivers side window wouldnt go down so i popped out the panel and the cable that pulls the window up snapped off the thing that holds the window -__-

i unscrewed the window and stuffed in cardboard and siliconed it so it wont fall till i get it fixed. so i need the motor only right or the regulator too?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by nyc_ink
last night my rear drivers side window wouldnt go down so i popped out the panel and the cable that pulls the window up snapped off the thing that holds the window -__-

i unscrewed the window and stuffed in cardboard and siliconed it so it wont fall till i get it fixed. so i need the motor only right or the regulator too?

I looks like the other half of the white plastic thing that holds that little cylindrical shaped metal of your regulator was shot. Did you hear a cellphone vibration-like sound before disconnecting your motor? If yes, your motor is still working and you need to look for a new regulator.

If you don't mind drilling holes into your door, put some 2x2 wood blocks and screw it in to hold your window better. Because I'm not sure if cardboard and silicone alone can withstand some bumps if you're gonna be using your car.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Laevateinn

I looks like the other half of the white plastic thing that holds that little cylindrical shaped metal of your regulator was shot. Did you hear a cellphone vibration-like sound before disconnecting your motor? If yes, your motor is still working and you need to look for a new regulator.

If you don't mind drilling holes into your door, put some 2x2 wood blocks and screw it in to hold your window better. Because I'm not sure if cardboard and silicone alone can withstand some bumps if you're gonna be using your car.
i didnt think of putting a 2x2 thats a good idea thanks.
yea when i press the switch up and down i hear it and i can feel the other half of the wore being pulled. the other half of the wire is on the white piece that pulls the window up and it wont go up pass the middle of the door.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 PM

If it only goes halfway, the white plastic thing is not the only problem of your regulator. Because if it's the ONLY problem, it can either go up or down all the way (which means it rolls up but not down, or vice versa). Can you post a picture of your regulator?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM

If it only goes halfway, the white plastic thing is not the only problem of your regulator. Because if it's the ONLY problem, it can either go up or down all the way (which means it rolls up but not down, or vice versa). Can you post a picture of your regulator?
ill try to take one tomorrow. i unscrewed the window and tried pushing the piece that holds the window up and it only goes half way and i cant push it up anymore no matter how hard i try to push it. this is what pissed me off
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 AM

ill try to take one tomorrow. i unscrewed the window and tried pushing the piece that holds the window up and it only goes half way and i cant push it up anymore no matter how hard i try to push it. this is what pissed me off
Don't force it. Once you've removed the regulator, you will see a pellet shaped metal in the middle of the cable. Remove the hex head screws that attaches the window to the regulator but before you pull the regulator, hold the window with a very secure brace or set of tapes. You don't want to replace a window You cannot turn the motor manually/forcefully compared to a radio antenna motor.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 AM

Don't force it. Once you've removed the regulator, you will see a pellet shaped metal in the middle of the cable. Remove the hex head screws that attaches the window to the regulator but before you pull the regulator, hold the window with a very secure brace or set of tapes. You don't want to replace a window You cannot turn the motor manually/forcefully compared to a radio antenna motor.
so i need a new regulator and motor right?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:56 AM

I squished a book between the bracket and glass and the door and put a piece of 2x4 under it. Held up for three years.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM

so i need a new regulator and motor right?
Nope. Just a regulator since the motor is still working.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
I squished a book between the bracket and glass and the door and put a piece of 2x4 under it. Held up for three years.
lol @ 3 years
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Nope. Just a regulator since the motor is still working.
so the regulator comes with the wire? and if it does how do i connect the wire into the motor?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM

lol @ 3 years
I'm not even exaggerating. By the time 3 years was up I had totally forgotten it was even in there, just assumed I left the regulator in to hold it.

I went for a bit of a journey down some bumpy roads and it vibrated out, that's when o realised I was a bad father and needed to start reading my baby some books.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:07 AM

so the regulator comes with the wire? and if it does how do i connect the wire into the motor?
Just pull the regulator and motor assembly out and you will see. There are 4 hex heads for the regulator-window brace and 3 for the motor. One white retainer for the upper cable and a black connector for the motor. Once you have the whole assembly out, there are 3 phillips screws that attaches the motor and the regulator. The regulator is non serviceable but I have a remedy for a cable jam.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 AM

the regulators cost almost as much as the motor / regulator combo so imma just get that and fix when i can. thanks for the help
Old 05-18-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
I'm not even exaggerating. By the time 3 years was up I had totally forgotten it was even in there, just assumed I left the regulator in to hold it.

I went for a bit of a journey down some bumpy roads and it vibrated out, that's when o realised I was a bad father and needed to start reading my baby some books.