3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

So....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 PM

So....

After working on my car all day to try and figure out why i felt shaking at low rpms, so far here is what i eliminated ( replaced )

spark plugs (#1 was dark black)
spark plug wires
rotor
distributor cap
fuel filter

so after all of this my engine was still missin, so we check compression in #1 (which had the black spark plug) and it was fine.

so what im thinking is a dirty injector? because i bought some of that sea foam and it actually helped it alot, i can still feel it a tiny bit but it seems to be getting better.

is there anyways that i can actually take the #1 injector and clean it? or should i just replace it.

OH! and i got all new rotors, calipers, and brake pads. (pretty excited about that :P)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

the first thing to check is the resistance of the injector. 10-14 ohms.
if it's in spec, it may be clogged, but our injectors usually don't clog (and they can't be re manufactured).
also, check for corrosion in the injector connector. your car is old, but used, so I would suspect that before a plain, bad injector.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM

trust me we ran through that already, we found no noticable corrosion or anything like that. im not saying its a bad injector, im just thinking its dirty, because i put the sea foam in my tank and that helped quite a bit, we also sprayed water into the intake to create steam hoping it would clean it up.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM

why didn't you also but seafoam in the intake manifold thru the brake booster?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by coolsun
why didn't you also but seafoam in the intake manifold thru the brake booster?
to be honest i didnt really think about that..

but i think what im gonna do is get some more sea foam, and try and get that injector clean.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM
STFU n00b!

don't waste your time with the intake mani splooge- it won't solve your problem if you have a clogged injector.

try a GOOD brand of injector cleaner. best thing I've found, bar-none is BG 44K. it's $$ relative to seafoam and other injector cleaners, but it's the only thing that's solved my clogged injector problems..
It's like $20-25 a bottle, but I use it sparingly. run the car down to about 1/4 tank, then I put a 1/4 bottle in the car. run that out and repeat if needed.
http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

you could also try some of those "real" injector cleaners where you pull the fuel line off the rail and plug in a pressurized can in place of the fuel line.. those work great, but they $$$co$t a $hitlo@d$$$. the BG 44k is cheap in the grand scheme of things.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Check every small hose under the hood.

Had the same problem today when I had to fix a leaky injector oring (unrelated to my shaking) when I took off my upper manifold (the **** on top of the engine with the throttle body), I forgot to reattach the hose running from the top of the valve cover to the intake elbow.

Upon reattaching it, the engine was running smoothly again. This may fix your problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Check every small hose under the hood.

Had the same problem today when I had to fix a leaky injector oring (unrelated to my shaking) when I took off my upper manifold (the **** on top of the engine with the throttle body), I forgot to reattach the hose running from the top of the valve cover to the intake elbow.

Upon reattaching it, the engine was running smoothly again. This may fix your problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
don't waste your time with the intake mani splooge- it won't solve your problem if you have a clogged injector.

try a GOOD brand of injector cleaner. best thing I've found, bar-none is BG 44K. it's $$ relative to seafoam and other injector cleaners, but it's the only thing that's solved my clogged injector problems..
It's like $20-25 a bottle, but I use it sparingly. run the car down to about 1/4 tank, then I put a 1/4 bottle in the car. run that out and repeat if needed.

you could also try some of those "real" injector cleaners where you pull the fuel line off the rail and plug in a pressurized can in place of the fuel line.. those work great, but they $$$co$t a $hitlo@d$$$. the BG 44k is cheap in the grand scheme of things.

thanks matt, im definately going to buy a couple bottles of this stuff.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Banned

bg is really good its what the Subaru Dealership i worked at in wa in 07 used on all there Subaru's that came in for there k services.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

it's definitely an injector problem....