3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

425WHP Sleeping Road Warrior build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 AM

425WHP Sleeping Road Warrior build thread

So I put these wheels in motion about 3 weeks ago on this build. I have a 91'SE5 with 200k on the clock, the car is in great shape as the owner before me (my aunt) took great care of it. She was the original owner and I added the service records up from 97' until I received the max FOR FREE about a year ago and she put $13,000! in maint. and repairs and that is no lie. You can come and add them up yourself and they only go back to 97' so the number is higher but that is all I can prove.

So.... about 3 weeks ago I blew my clutch, so i bought a cheap clutch kit to hold me off BUT I did buy a JWT flywheel, which BTW is less than half the weight and let me tell you I felt a dramatic increase in acceleration so I was happy. Not even 1 week later a 3rd gen pulled up at my shop with white smoke POURING out the exhaust I didn't even have to check it, I knew what it was....HG.. I was so happy cause I knew this guy wasn't gonna fix it, so i checked it to make sure thats what it was and sure enough... HG.
so I gave him the price and he wasnt going for it so I told him i'll give $100 more than the scrap yard would and he took the deal $300.

So now I have my donor motor plus not to mention All the spare parts, factory floor mats and the carpet (which i already installed) is MINT mine had a huge hole in it from the years of her wearing high heels to work and working the clutch.

So i already bought my tokico blues and eibachs, mounts, dust boots, bearings, insulators, bump stops, my stillen FSTB from the classifieds, LCAs with ***** from my parts supplier, and JWT flywheel

!*!*!*!*!Now for the plans!*!*!*!*!

Gonna have the motor rebuilt with 8:1 JE forged pistons and eagle forged rods high flow oil pump THE WORKS

Garret gt35 BB turbo with stock z31 manifolds
intercooler and piping
BOV undecided

Which ever injectors JWT recommends as well be working together closely to build this motor they have been a great help so far with questions i have asked them

z32 MAF
Nistune
2 stage electronic boost controller
walbro 255l fuel pump
spec stage 3 clutch
blehmco stage 2 lower tie bar if I can find since he seems not to make them anymore
blemcho rear parallel link kit
Z32 BBK
Suspension techniques Front and rear sway bars
Removing ALL the emissions BS
Grounding kit
JWT stage 2 cams
JWT valve spring kit
MSD SCI-L box

Thats all I can really think of off the top of my head ATM. I will keep you updated as it progresses with pics

And i thank the Org with all the resources they provided me at my finger tips
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM

Run some 550cc minimum
Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Way out West

I would probably try to source a VE trans/axles. Beefier and VLSD. Otherwise, sounds like a pretty sweet deal and a great project.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 PM

at least he didnt say nistune and... a jwt ecu.... Good look with the build. keep us updated.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

research.... that's how it's done
looking forward to seeing this build. Don't bail on it, like a quite a few have done.

edit: blehmco may go ahead and make the ltb. I think they still have the jig for it. you could email their sales dept, see if they will fab you one up.

Last edited by BenStoked; 11-24-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Cool beans. Don't let any of these tards around here run you off. Looks like you've done some research and aren't a total newb in terms of know-how so they probably won't give you a hard time

In for pics of your ride. I've gotta say that's pretty cool your aunt was the original owner! You don't see many women pick up stick shift sport sedans.

(is a VG 5 speed a sport sedan? )
Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Ya theres a few of us around with boosted 3rd gens running nistune. don't know about the others but so far its going great. Also would recomend the ve trans and axles (or change the hub side with the vg ones to fit your hubs)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Sounds like a plan..

Now let's see it materialize.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 PM

I think you'll be really busy dude!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

Good luck bro. And don't let the org put you down cuz many here do. Personally like i plan on doing is just doing the complete build with pics and what not and just post at the end. Less chance of being picked on. You don't need too much info from the org since from the sounds of it your technically inclined in automotive. Research is all in the key to accomplishing the task you have at hand.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 AM

They can put me down all they want... Yeah its my first turbo build BUT yeah I am a full time mechanic with an entire shop at my disposal. I do thank everyone thank does believes in this build, maybe i'll let those who were helpful drive it (maybe not) I know it will take me some time, I'm not planning on being done till maybe the end of summer 11' so I don't wanna see people coming in here thinking it fell off cause i didnt know what i was doing. New suspension pics on there way
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by akurtzer57
Ya theres a few of us around with boosted 3rd gens running nistune. don't know about the others but so far its going great. Also would recomend the ve trans and axles (or change the hub side with the vg ones to fit your hubs)

i'm kinda up in the air ATM about what ecu to run Ben at JWT swears on his ecu, but i like the way nistune works, something about just set it and forget it just doesn't sit right with me, what do you guys think
Old 11-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by JagerBlunt
i'm kinda up in the air ATM about what ecu to run Ben at JWT swears on his ecu, but i like the way nistune works, something about just set it and forget it just doesn't sit right with me, what do you guys think
I agree.
upgrades seem to be one of those things where one thing leads to another.
unless you can't find a tuner (and you seem like the kind who can find what you are looking for), I could see going jwt.
there is almost always a little more that can be had with the right tune.
also with nistune, you can set it up with race gas, e85, pump gas, and all it'll take is 5 minutes with a laptop to switch tunes for the fuel you'll run.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't go jwt there basically a base map. Nistune you can tune it to YOUR setup.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
I agree.
upgrades seem to be one of those things where one thing leads to another.
unless you can't find a tuner (and you seem like the kind who can find what you are looking for), I could see going jwt.
there is almost always a little more that can be had with the right tune.
also with nistune, you can set it up with race gas, e85, pump gas, and all it'll take is 5 minutes with a laptop to switch tunes for the fuel you'll run.
would i need different injectors or any part of my fuel system for that matter modded to run on E85 or is it just in the MAP and also i can my hands on 100LL (low lead) Nav-gas (Aviation-fuel) has any one ever tuned with this?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

would i need different injectors or any part of my fuel system for that matter modded to run on E85 or is it just in the MAP and also i can my hands on 100LL (low lead) Nav-gas (Aviation-fuel) has any one ever tuned with this?
first, the disclaimers:
im not a tuner.
my car's aren't tuned (stock ecus)
understanding from what I was told.

okay, since that's out the way...
the guys I know running e85 love it, but run bigger injectors than they would for gas. e85 requires more fuel. lots of good info out there, if it's an option in your area.
never heard of anyone running leaded or aviation fuels in a modern US engine, but that's not to say it can't be done.
(you would need bigger injectors for your application, anyway.)
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM

my friend runs in his stock 03ish v6 ranger with no cats, and as mechanic i have not seen any side affects on his vehicle, but i also haven't taken the top end off either just seems to run fine
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM

Where can I find some 550cc injectors and an intercooler that will fit my 1994 VG? Where can I fimd nistune also?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by colinod
Where can I find some 550cc injectors and an intercooler that will fit my 1994 VG? Where can I fimd nistune also?
Deatchwerks nistune from nistune.com and intercooler from many sites.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM

They can put me down all they want... Yeah its my first turbo build BUT yeah I am a full time mechanic with an entire shop at my disposal. I do thank everyone thank does believes in this build, maybe i'll let those who were helpful drive it (maybe not) I know it will take me some time, I'm not planning on being done till maybe the end of summer 11' so I don't wanna see people coming in here thinking it fell off cause i didnt know what i was doing. New suspension pics on there way
Looking foward to this project..I'm behind you on this. Keep us updated
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM

http://www.deatschwerks.com/catalog/...?cPath=0_24_41

They don't have vg30e injectors
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by colinod
yes they do. VG30DETT injectors work. VQ30 work also just different plug type. Im running a set. http://www.deatschwerks.com/catalog/...roducts_id=173
Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had my car tuned briefly for E85, and it ran very well. I used 550cc injectors and an Emanage to tune. Z32 MAF, Walbro pump, 2-step colder copper plugs, normal rubber fuel lines. The injectors were at around 60% DC IIRC.

If you search the NASIOC forums, there used to be a VERY extensive writeup and discussion on using E85... lots of good info to research there.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Cool beans. Don't let any of these tards around here run you off.

.....if these tards run this guy away its because every other week, there's a post about turbocharging a VG 3rd gen.
....and in the end, can you really blame them? whats the ratio of people asking/saying they are going to turbocharge their 3rd gen vs. those who have actually done it?

OP...looking forward to seeing this happen. keep us posted!!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM

well got my stillen FSTB last week and my warpspeed SFCs arrived today. Today I put them both on and man what a difference. I can defiantly feel all the roll is coming from the suspension not from body flex the body is as stiff as a board. Now I just cant wait to install all my suspension parts I bought and get my ST F/R sway bars and S2 LTB and im done with suspension. This thing should turn on a dime!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM

well got my stillen FSTB last week and my warpspeed SFCs arrived today. Today I put them both on and man what a difference. I can defiantly feel all the roll is coming from the suspension not from body flex the body is as stiff as a board. Now I just cant wait to install all my suspension parts I bought and get my ST F/R sway bars and S2 LTB and im done with suspension. This thing should turn on a dime!
great stuff, glad to see progress.

I cant imagine how odd it would feel to have SFC FSTB and no other suspension upgrades. You can probably really tell what the SFCs are doing. Good luck with the remaining steps
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
great stuff, glad to see progress.

I cant imagine how odd it would feel to have SFC FSTB and no other suspension upgrades. You can probably really tell what the SFCs are doing. Good luck with the remaining steps
You have no idea the difference I feel with just those 2 mods NO BODY FLEX, I love it. I can defiantly feel all the roll is now in the suspension which will be done soon! pics OTW
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM

looking forward to seeing the end project!! good luck man!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Looks like this "build" turned out about par for the Maxima.org-pre-build-illusions-of-grandeur-thread course?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Looks like this "build" turned out about par for the Maxima.org-pre-build-illusions-of-grandeur-thread course?
So no updates....425whp would of been crazy....
Old 07-05-2011, 06:51 AM

Jeez, guys, he said...^^^^
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Heres my 425hp hopefully go to dyno with this setup. Need to find dyno close. Im right on missouri river and flooding causing me drive 3 hours to go 20 miles to some places.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 AM

Yeah I've been away for a while, suspension is done though and heres the list: ST front and rear swaybars, S2LTB, subframe connectors, stillen FSTB, blemco rear link kit, lowered on eibachs wrapped around GR-2s cause they don't make tokico blues anymore for our cars unfortunately, nor do they make the eibachs but I was able to pick up a used set from a fellow org member, front camber bolt kit, new control arms all new strut mounts, boots, and bearings... I did a V-LSD swap with new axles and all new seals. I have my motor mounts drying at the moment, solid filled 80a poly resin. im ordering new rims and tires for her this week: Enkei RPF1 in black 17x8 with 225/45 kuhmos, so I can fit in a big brake kit, needs a new rack and pinion cause well lets face it, she is 20 years old and its not looking too hot, theres a lot of play. and THEN we can get to the motor which im not gonna lie i didnt do anything to except an UR underdrive pully, JWT flywheel, and a full MSD set up. I am in the process though of getting an old junker i have with a blown motor, taking my old 5 speed and swapping the trans out and sending the whole car and my donor engine to my friends shop so he can start fabbing up my custom stainless TURBO HEADERS!!!!! and let it be known this is my daily driver sorry if its taking time, Im doing all this work with little to no down time and building from the bottom up, the car has to be able handle 425hp you don't just slap it in on 20 year old suspension
Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

I would go with bigger tires if I were you. I had 225/45/17s on mine and they were too small. Try a 235/45/17. It's a little bigger than stock in terms of diameter, but it's better than going smaller. 215/50/17 is the same as stock.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
So no updates....425whp would of been crazy....
Jeremy (maxmaxma91) put down 400whp several years ago. With his new exhaust manifold, custom intake and larger exhaust (4" vs 3") Im sure hes hit 450whp without adding additional boost.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by mrkanda
I would go with bigger tires if I were you. I had 225/45/17s on mine and they were too small. Try a 235/45/17. It's a little bigger than stock in terms of diameter, but it's better than going smaller. 215/50/17 is the same as stock.
245/45/17 is also the same as stock, just wider than the 215, and will fit with the right wheels (ie ford cobra wheels @ 17x8+30). I had 225/50/17 on mine which is slightly larger than stock.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM

good luck on build. keep us informed.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Yeah I've been away for a while, suspension is done though and heres the list: ST front and rear swaybars, S2LTB, subframe connectors, stillen FSTB, blemco rear link kit, lowered on eibachs wrapped around GR-2s cause they don't make tokico blues anymore for our cars unfortunately, nor do they make the eibachs but I was able to pick up a used set from a fellow org member, front camber bolt kit, new control arms all new strut mounts, boots, and bearings... I did a V-LSD swap with new axles and all new seals. I have my motor mounts drying at the moment, solid filled 80a poly resin. im ordering new rims and tires for her this week: Enkei RPF1 in black 17x8 with 225/45 kuhmos, so I can fit in a big brake kit, needs a new rack and pinion cause well lets face it, she is 20 years old and its not looking too hot, theres a lot of play. and THEN we can get to the motor which im not gonna lie i didnt do anything to except an UR underdrive pully, JWT flywheel, and a full MSD set up. I am in the process though of getting an old junker i have with a blown motor, taking my old 5 speed and swapping the trans out and sending the whole car and my donor engine to my friends shop so he can start fabbing up my custom stainless TURBO HEADERS!!!!! and let it be known this is my daily driver sorry if its taking time, Im doing all this work with little to no down time and building from the bottom up, the car has to be able handle 425hp you don't just slap it in on 20 year old suspension
You never posted finished product on this thread!!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Sounds fun......I like your setup already it's very similar to my 90 Se......I'll be performing a leakdown test on my 90 this weekend just to see what damage I have if any damage at all......Spend alot of time setting up the 4th Gen.....exhaust and intake systems!