3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with a VG

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:16 AM

Help with a VG

Recently I started a thread about a problem with my 91 VG(298,000miles) that I tracked down to a bad distributor. The car would barely run when it warmed up. Now comes another issue. For some time now, even before the distributor problem its had the random(not consistent) putt putt from the exhaust. Seems it has gotten worse now and misfires(random) when in Drive. When the engine is cold, it seems to be worse. Also when in Park and I rev the engine, there's a hesitation/miss when I hit the gas. With the engine running I removed each injector plug and the center cylinder near firewall(i'm assuming thats cylinder #3), seems to be the culprit. When I unplug that injector, the rpms drop less than when unhooking all others. I tested that injector and came out to 12.5ohm. Spark plugs are about 1 year old. New wires and distributor cap/rotor. My question is, could an injector that reads 12.5 ohms still be bad? Unhooking it does make the putt putt from the exhaust constant. Maybe it's not injecting enough fuel and the mixture is too lean? I've owned the car since 193,000 miles and have never replaced any injectors. Otherwise runs good. Any input appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM

it defenatly could be your injectors. have you checked your spark plug wires?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

^he said he got new ones..
to OP. i say try some seafoam and see what happens.

i had a random miss like that. that would only happen under a load. (like going up a hill or sumthin). i found that the problem was the spark plug wires.. maybe it wouldnt hurt to check over everything. pug everything up correctly. you know.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 AM

I've tried several known good wires on it and runs the same. I can tell the cylinder is not completely dead cause when i unplug the injector the idle gets SLIGHTLY SLIGHTLY lower. Unplugging all the other injectors causes a very noticeable drop in rpm AND roughness. I just didn't know if an injector that reads 12.5ohm could still be bad.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM

are u sure u have the right wires goin to the right points on the destributor?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:56 AM

An injector is a electromechanical device, while electrically it might test good mechanically it's malfunctioning. Further more I had a coil pack in my VE that ohmed out correctly yet would cause the car to stall when idling and even when driving at any speed. So I've come to the sad conclusion that the ohm test is for the birds. Time to invest in injectors you know that don't you?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Someone a while ago post a video here that a truck problem was the injector. The failed injector passed the ohm test but failed the fuel pressure test.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
An injector is a electromechanical device, while electrically it might test good mechanically it's malfunctioning. Further more I had a coil pack in my VE that ohmed out correctly yet would cause the car to stall when idling and even when driving at any speed. So I've come to the sad conclusion that the ohm test is for the birds. Time to invest in injectors you know that don't you?
That's what I'm afraid of. They've lasted long enough I guess. 298,XXX miles
Does the engine require more fuel when its cold? If so, that would explain why it's so much worse when cold.