3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Factory alarm disable? Already searched archives...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 07:55 PM

Factory alarm disable? Already searched archives...

After searching for this topic already, I can't seem to find an answer. I have a 94 SE automatic that had one factory foglight (the other one was not there when I bought the car). I removed it today and now after 10-15 minutes, the car's factory alarm goes off. I removed the fuse (fuse was fine) and waited 10 minutes, and it went off. I couldn't find anything in the manual or Hayne's repair guide to disable this thing, but I think it's weird how I removed the one foglight and now I have this trouble.

I guess I can just park the car w/o locking the driver's door, which is fine because I have nothing really valuable in there. But I would much rather disable this alarm. Does anyone know how to do this? I looked under the dash but couldn't find anything "car alarmish" and simply removing the fuse doesn't help (I didn't know if it would or not). Thanks for your help.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:16 PM

You must have shorted something while removing the light, since what you described should not cause the alarm to malfunction.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:21 PM

That sounds logical, and it's gonna tick me off to try and find the source of the short. The only thread I could find that remotely describes disabling the factory alarm is at

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37082&highlight=alarm

any clue on if this works for a 94 SE?
Old 12-16-2001, 08:31 PM

The problem is that it took 10-15 minutes for the alarm to go off.

Try unplugging the positive battery cable overnight. When u plug it back in the morning, it should reset everything.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:08 PM

Good point, it did take a while for the alarm to kick in consistently at 10 mins. Hopefully resetting the ECU will help tonight and I think I'm going to get a new battery just in case. I'll post the results tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:12 AM

So the battery trick didn't work, I wonder what else it could be...?
Old 12-17-2001, 09:45 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Factory alarm disable? Already searched archives...

Originally posted by PDubs
After searching for this topic already, I can't seem to find an answer. I have a 94 SE automatic that had one factory foglight (the other one was not there when I bought the car). I removed it today and now after 10-15 minutes, the car's factory alarm goes off. I removed the fuse (fuse was fine) and waited 10 minutes, and it went off. I couldn't find anything in the manual or Hayne's repair guide to disable this thing, but I think it's weird how I removed the one foglight and now I have this trouble.

I guess I can just park the car w/o locking the driver's door, which is fine because I have nothing really valuable in there. But I would much rather disable this alarm. Does anyone know how to do this? I looked under the dash but couldn't find anything "car alarmish" and simply removing the fuse doesn't help (I didn't know if it would or not). Thanks for your help.
this is all from memory..
the alarm module is behind the knee panel..(remove lower dash panel)
it's bolted to the frame of the car..looks like a metal box w/ wires coming out. (not sure left or right side)
i *think* the trigger wire is orange in color.
give that a try. try unplugging it and see if the car starts..if not then try the orange wire..just be prepare to reattach it if it's not the right one.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:56 PM
STFU n00b!

the wiring colors you'll need for the stock system are on my FAQ page.
www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/faq/
go to the wiring info directory, then you'll figure it out from there.

As for your problem, I would venture to guess it's your hood sensor. (I'm assuming you had the hood up while you worked on the foglight)

When I installed my FSTB, it held my hood up just enough so that it would do the same thing by causing the hood sensor to trip if the wind hit the hood just right.. (which always took 10-15 minutes after I left the car)

I pulled the sensor off and re-drilled the holes so that it mounted a little higher up on the fender wall, and I've never had a problem since then.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:50 AM

Matt93SE - 50,000 shillings to you

You nailed it on the head! There were some other electrical problems with the car cause I think the previous owner had a full audio system setup and removed it, which is causing some weird electrical things to happen. But that's exactly what the dealer said as far as the alarm is concerned: hood pin was bent, so they fixed it no problem, but where the heck is this thing? I'd love to know in case it happens again.

Mad props to ya Matt93SE. I would have never guessed that one!
Old 12-18-2001, 07:28 AM
STFU n00b!

it's about halfway back on the right (passenger's side) of the engine bay. it's bolted to the fender, just abouve the right front wheel.

In this pic, it's the white thing sticking up just beside the power steering reservoir. It's got a black rubber boot over it, but the boots wear out and come apart in just a couple years. I need to buy a new one.

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...r/engine/3.jpg