3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo kit in my maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hotrodder
While I believe it is important to have fun and enjoy life, I think 16 is about the age when you should start maturing. Your priorities SHOULD be to do good in school to get into a good college, choose some field you would like to work in and work towards getting your foot in the door. When I was 16, I was working 40-48 hours a week to pay for my DD and my hobbies and help out my parents. Had I been smarter, I would have banked all that money and been far better off in the long run. Once I got to college, I had no real money saved up and my parents had none so I paid out of pocket and student loans in my name only. To do this, I worked that same 40-48hour a week job, went to school 26 hours a week, and had a 24 hour a week internship. You add that up, that will kill you if you do it long enough. Had I just manned up at your age and planned for all of this, I wouldnt have had to stretch myself so thin.

Its easy for me to look back now and say what I should have done but you are in a position to actually do it. But instead, you want those wheels and tires and dont care about the details or ramifications. You need to get it together man. Youre only 16 but think about it, only a couple more years til you start your own life. Are you ready for it?
im sorry for youre mistakes in planning ahead. lol
im 16 and i know exacly what im going to do after high school. and its more or less the same **** im doing now. lol.
working on cars. im going to a technical college to become a mechanic.
i do good in school.
my GPA is like a 3 point sumthing
youre making a HUGE deal over some $70 rims. lol
Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
im sorry for youre mistakes in planning ahead. lol
im 16 and i know exacly what im going to do after high school. and its more or less the same **** im doing now. lol.
working on cars. im going to a technical college to become a mechanic.
i do good in school.
my GPA is like a 3 point sumthing
youre making a HUGE deal over some $70 rims. lol
Good for you for knowing what youre going to do. Do you know how to do that? Do you know how much a good tech school costs? I bet it wont matter though, youre mom and dad paying for it? My brother went to UTI and it cost him 30K for 16 months of school. It was a very good education but they dont allow just anyone in and they do not finance everyone so its not as easy as deciding to go there. He is now a tech for Volvo and it is definitely because of his school but he and my parents are signed on to student loans for 15 years.

I went to a tech college for drafting and it cost me 26K for 16 months of school. Again, paid off because I have a good job from it but I too have 15 years of student loans because of it. But my credit was and is great so I got the loans 100% in my name on my own.

Anyway, I couldnt care less about what you do or how you do it but I am not making a huge deal about 70.00 rims....what concerns me about you and guys like the OP that want to do things cheap is that you just do not know enough to know that you dont know. You got your rims for 70.00 thats great, its cheap, thats fine but they do not belong on your car...period. It was a dumb move that you will eventually look back on and say WTF. Same with the OP, he budget builds and glue sticks his turbo setup together and it will just blow up in his face, much like your tires will soon do.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Good for you for knowing what youre going to do. Do you know how to do that? Do you know how much a good tech school costs? I bet it wont matter though, youre mom and dad paying for it? My brother went to UTI and it cost him 30K for 16 months of school. It was a very good education but they dont allow just anyone in and they do not finance everyone so its not as easy as deciding to go there. He is now a tech for Volvo and it is definitely because of his school but he and my parents are signed on to student loans for 15 years.

I went to a tech college for drafting and it cost me 26K for 16 months of school. Again, paid off because I have a good job from it but I too have 15 years of student loans because of it. But my credit was and is great so I got the loans 100% in my name on my own.

Anyway, I couldnt care less about what you do or how you do it but I am not making a huge deal about 70.00 rims....what concerns me about you and guys like the OP that want to do things cheap is that you just do not know enough to know that you dont know. You got your rims for 70.00 thats great, its cheap, thats fine but they do not belong on your car...period. It was a dumb move that you will eventually look back on and say WTF. Same with the OP, he budget builds and glue sticks his turbo setup together and it will just blow up in his face, much like your tires will soon do.
if im so godamn cheap that i buy 70 dollar rims.. wtf makes u think my parents are paying for my schooling?
im going to a school that isint THAT expensive and i plan to take advantage of state grants and scholarships anyways. anyways, im not one to argue.
so since you know more than me. tell me excacly why my rims are SOOO much worse than stock? im curious to find out
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Alrighty, all right let's get back on topic.
Lesson you can't turbo a Maxima cheap.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Banned

lesson learned.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM

While I believe it is important to have fun and enjoy life, I think 16 is about the age when you should start maturing. Your priorities SHOULD be to do good in school to get into a good college, choose some field you would like to work in and work towards getting your foot in the door. When I was 16, I was working 40-48 hours a week to pay for my DD and my hobbies and help out my parents. Had I been smarter, I would have banked all that money and been far better off in the long run. Once I got to college, I had no real money saved up and my parents had none so I paid out of pocket and student loans in my name only. To do this, I worked that same 40-48hour a week job, went to school 26 hours a week, and had a 24 hour a week internship. You add that up, that will kill you if you do it long enough. Had I just manned up at your age and planned for all of this, I wouldnt have had to stretch myself so thin.

Its easy for me to look back now and say what I should have done but you are in a position to actually do it. But instead, you want those wheels and tires and dont care about the details or ramifications. You need to get it together man. Youre only 16 but think about it, only a couple more years til you start your own life. Are you ready for it?
Wow... sounds like someone has some regrets and is trying to live vicariously through others
Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jowo9
Wow... sounds like someone has some regrets and is trying to live vicariously through others
Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Haha, I've seen some heated arguments on the org, but I think that is the biggest soapbox sermon I've seen yet This is maxima.org, not the teen help hotline... haha

Last edited by jowo9; 05-26-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Haha, I've seen some heated arguments on the org, but I think that is the biggest soapbox sermon I've seen yet This is maxima.org, not the teen help hotline... haha
Go check out this kids "SO HAPPY" thread and you will see why this kid needs someone to set him straight. Like I said though, I could not care less what he does or what happens to him but like all kids, some day you will look back and think...yeah those guys were right.

And whats wrong with your rims....they are not made to fit a Maxima..period. Having your rims stick out 2 inches past your fenders and having the fenders chew up the sidewall is just plain moronic. It does not look good, handle good, or anything in the form of anything good, its just pure crap.

Anyway, yes, back on topic....I am not a big fan of turbos anyway due to the extensive maintenance involved in keeping them running right but OP, I dont think you clarified. Is this just your "fun" car that youre looking to toy with or will it be your daily driver? Im just curious because I may have been too quick to judge your budget build as a "do it on the cheap cuz Im broke" when in reality it may be because you just want a budget toy.

Im sure the Chevelle will be fun but if its cheap, it needs work more than likely. Post some pics of it.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM

And if you think providing the youth of the world with experience and knowledge is trying to live vicariously through them then more power to you. Youre absolutely wrong but hey, I dont give a s$%^.

I regret nothing and enjoy the hell out of what I do have. Ill tell you one thing, I would not take a sawzall to a perfectly solid 3rd gen maxima...
Old 05-26-2010, 05:10 PM

never mind what i said before. my dad was gonna give it to me for what i sold my maxima for, its a 65 malibu, with a 427 big block, best everything. pistons ground down like a quarter of an inch to clear valves, bored all the way out, all powder coated, cam, EVERYTHING. this car is more like a race car. we were puttin a exhaust on one night and took it for a ride, we got on the main road and stepped on it, and i looked behind us and all i saw was smoke, turns out the motor sucked the oil right outta the motor! its a nice car but i think im gonna stick with turboing my maxima the right way and just driving it as my first car, since im only 15. Im not a thick skulled pea brain and take advice givin to me, and i know a lot about cars, so dont be afraid to tell me something you think i wont under stand. Alright. back on topic.

I would like to turbo my maxima.
1. What would i all need to do everything?
2. Why do i need a boost controler and gauge?
3. Should i weld the turbine strait in the exhaust and run pipe to the intake?
4. Can i run oil from my oil sensor and rig it to go back in to my oil filler cap?
5. How will i hook up the waste gate if its right in the exhaust?
6. Where and how should i mount anything?
7. what kind of pipe do i need? 2 1/2 in.? 3 in.?

Can we do this step by step please? ive been doing research so i basicly know how they work.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by robsterzallan`
I would like to turbo my maxima.
1. What would i all need to do everything?turbo and exhaust mani from z31 turbo, down pipe, intake tubing from turbo to intake, from filter to turbo, oil lines, etc.
edit: injectors, ecu...

2. Why do i need a boost controler and gauge?keep from over-boosting
3. Should i weld the turbine strait in the exhaust and run pipe to the intake?really? did you really just ask that?

HELL NO!

4. Can i run oil from my oil sensor and rig it to go back in to my oil filler cap?do it right, tap the block, tap the oil pan
5. How will i hook up the waste gate if its right in the exhaust?internal or external?
6. Where and how should i mount anything?if you get the correct parts, it'll kinda be straight-forward
7. what kind of pipe do i need? 2 1/2 in.? 3 in.?
the pros say 2.5
Can we do this step by step please? ive been doing research so i basicly know how they work.
answered in quote, yellow.
step by step,
1) search
2) read
3) read
4) find a question you don't understand, ask that
5) repeat 2-4
6) buy parts
7) repeat step 5
8) install

again, don't mean to be a *****, even though I am; I am just saying it's been done, covered, done again, and again, and again, and...

Last edited by BenStoked; 05-26-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:15 PM

its a nice car but i think im gonna stick with turboing my maxima the right way and just driving it as my first car, since im only 15.
un:matt93se:
Stick with the stock Maxima until you get used to it. Until you can handle the VG30ET/VE30ET powahhhh.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:53 PM

Wow.. this is getting good.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM

lol, as long as you do it right...more power to ya for doing it but my advice would be get some mileage under your seat before hopping into hopped up cars but hey, if you can handle it and you have the time and budget to do it right then sure. Just make sure you know exactly what to do before starting the project. Things will come up, they always do but if you plan plan plan plan plan, it will go smoothly and everything will turn out great. If you half **** it and start putting things on that shouldnt be on there, youll end up cutting your fenders with a butter knife and shredding your tire with the sharp lip....oh wait thats not you hehe...well bad things will happen if you rush it and do it half arsed.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
Wow.. this is getting good.
As long as they dont mind, use guys like this one as a tool to learn and learn some more. He has done it and did it right. Learn from these guys.

Edit...this is implied that the OP learn from maxmaxima91...
Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Ha wow. long thread over a turbo. Ive decided to ditch the maxima. im sellin it for 2500, puttin a down payment with that on a 65 chevelle and puttin money into something worth it. thanks everyone tho
Hotrodders got a hardon for you, but I'm not impressed. I think boys have tendency project their self image onto a car. Consider a ***** pump, or some AXE body spray, its much cheaper than a turbo or a chevelle.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked
answered in quote, yellow.
step by step,
1) search
2) read
3) read
4) find a question you don't understand, ask that
5) repeat 2-4
6) buy parts
7) repeat step 5
8) install

again, don't mean to be a *****, even though I am; I am just saying it's been done, covered, done again, and again, and again, and...
the oil tap is actually already on the block, it's just got a bolt in it. it's behind an opening in the alternator bracket iirc.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by nismax1994
Hotrodders got a hardon for you, but I'm not impressed. I think boys have tendency project their self image onto a car. Consider a ***** pump, or some AXE body spray, its much cheaper than a turbo or a chevelle.
Youre an idiot...go back and read the thread and you will see why this post of yours is 20 posts late and has no relevance whatsoever. And on top of that, you are incorrect.

Moron....Im still a newb too but at least I read the whole damn thread before posting...you guys that post and have no idea whats going on just make yourselves look retarded. And a car forum is the wrong place to be telling people that their compensating for something with their cars.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 PM

To those of you that have or have had a turboed maxima...or any aftermarket turboed car. Is it truely a pain in the but to maintain and keep running correctly? I know of several people that have had one thing after another after turboeing and then my brother has driven stock turboed Volvos for a long time. He hates turbos for the maintenance but loves them for the performance. For the money, I always liked a SuperCharger setup better but have never had either.

Not that I want to start a debate on turbo vs. supercharger haha but really, to those that have them, would you recommend one over the other? Which is harder to install and maintain?

OP, just a thought..maybe supercharge instead of turbo?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 PM

start by reading as much as you can about how a turbo setup works... if you cant entirely wrap your mind around the theory.. you shouldn't be constructing a setup. Start with typing "how a turbocharger works" in google.. then maybe try some other keywords.. Read read read. then you will formulate some good questions when you return. I would be happy to answer them.

Jeremy
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

hotrodder........ u need a kiss and a hug bro..
if ur gonna call me out and use me as some sort of "holy grail of stupid shyt done to a maxima" then please do it on my thread.. idk what i did to you. i apologize if i somehow hurt you. just becuz i put rims on my car that i think look good and i had to slice a little fender lip to avoid rub dosent mean that i totally ruined my max.. lol
u act like i spray painted it orange and put a confederate flag on the roof and called it the general max or sumthin. like dude.. chill out man.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

@robsterzallan
dude to be honest. projects this big always involve ALOT of stuff that u dont see from the surface. im sure there is a bunch of little details that if u miss or screw up during the project your shyt is gonna be fuccckked. but do as the others have said man. reeeead and teach yourself. now exacly what ur getting into. i myself want to do a 5speed vlsd swap and im still wondering how involved that project will be and if i could do it. im still reading and finding out every step to it so nothing comes as a surprise.

all the guys that have turboed anything that involves fabricaition to this level know exacly what theyre doing.

but if you feel confident in yourself and your skills then please do it. im in for sum pics and vids and **** man. lol
Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 PM

i was stupid at 16, i wanted to sell my Max and buy a 80's Porsche my cousins also were telling me to get a loan from the bank to buy a R32 GTS-T Skyline (because they dont think i can handle RB26 powah). can you imagine at that age how much my insurance would have been on a RWD RHD turbo import?

i should be able to get some stuff this summer, and hopefully get a second car late this year or early next year, i dont really care as long as its RWD and has RHD powah. the biggest problem though is i wont park outside, and i park my 3rd gen on one side of the garage and someone else on the other, so im going to have to find someone i know that can spare some garage space or something for another car. but again, im taking my time so theres no set date. plus theres alot of other crap i want, custom CF hood/trunk, new exhaust, etc
Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 AM

okay. well i need to find a way to hook it up to my exhaust with out buying the manifold, dont mean to skip out but if i could save 600 i could try? does anyone know how i could hook it up so its in the exhaust, the waste gate will work fine, and have it close enough to my intake?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

listen you can rape a z31 300zx turbo. if you can this is what youll need

manifolds front and rear with the crosover pipe.

oil feed line and the banjo bolt

turbo id go for the later watercooled but if you cant get it then its ok

intake and injectors:early q45 has 370cc in them iirc

as for the ecu nistne or megasqurt

youll have to fab a front motormount and downpipe, and small egr tube.

if you need parts on the cheep of what i mentioned let me know and ill check our local yards i could get you the turbo, manifolds, lines, for about 300 shipped
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

really, kid? come the **** on!
I have told you again and again, SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this forum is ripe for information.
example:
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-turbo-vg.html
http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ighlight=turbo

Originally Posted by mtcookson
Finally got it done pretty much. I still need to work on the actual writeup but I believe the FAQ is finished.

The writeup will be on this page when I can get the time to take pictures and type it all out.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=177457&page=8

VG30ET Swap FAQ

Q: Can I turbo my VG Maxima?
A: Yes, you can!

Q: How hard is it?
A: If you have some mechanical skill and knowledge its actually quite easy. I pretty much did the swap without much knowledge and just learned on the way but I have pretty good mechanical skill, which helped.

Q: How much would I be looking to spend on this project?
A: I spent somewhere between $1500-$2000. It would have been cheaper but there were some things that I bought that I didn’t need to.

Q: Can I turbo the stock engine or do I have to swap an engine?
A: You can do either. The stock VG has a compression ratio of 9:1, which actually isn’t all that bad for boost. If you turbo the stock engine the 9:1 compression will give you quicker spool times and will give you better low end power along with high end power compared to a lower compression engine.

Q: Which engines can I put into my Maxima?
A: For the engine swap you will want to use the VG30ET from an 87-89 300ZX Turbo or you can also get the JDM VG30ET that I believe came out of the Nissan Gloria. It has a sort of mix of parts compared to the USDM versions. The 84-86 300ZX Turbo has an 8.3:1 compression ratio with a T3 turbo. The 87-89 300ZX Turbo has an 8.5:1 compression ratio with a T25 turbo. The Gloria engine, from what I can tell, has an 8.3:1 compression ratio but has the T25 turbo. The Gloria engine is also supposed to have the euro cams, which add about 10 more horsepower over the USDM version.

Q: How much power do these engines pull?
A: If the JDM engine does have the euro cams it should pull about 210-215 hp. The 87-89 300ZX Turbo pulls 205 hp (all are crank horsepower figures).

Q: How do I swap a VG30ET into my Maxima?
A: Here’s the fun stuff. Once you get the engine you’ll need to pull the Maxima engine out so you can swap some stuff over. The items you’ll need to swap are:

- Oil pan (you’ll also need to get a pipe welded in for the oil return tube from the turbo)
- Alternator
- A/c
- Bracket for the alt. and a/c
- Power steering pump (since its easiest to just leave the pump on the car when removing the engine you need to remove the p/s pump off of the turbo engine)
- Coolant pipes running under the intake manifold
- Water pump
- Sensors
- Crank pulley
- Its a good idea to swap the valve covers since the rear valve cover of the Z has the oil cap right on the cover whereas the Maxima has a raised tube and the front valve cover will need to be swapped if you want to use the Maxima distributor (I did this since I wasn't sure if I could get the JDM VG30ET distributor cap and such here incase they are different from the Z31 setup)
- Distributor mounting plate (its the flat piece of aluminum that the distributor bolt bolts into). The one on the JDM VG30ET has a different angle for the bolt compared to the one on the Maxima VG30E so you will need to swap it over to keep from stripping the aluminum out with the bolt.

If using the JDM engine and you have a manual tranny you need to swap the IACV (idle air control valve) since the cars these engines came in only had an automatic. The IACV on automatics differ from the ones used on engines with a manual tranny so for the idle to work right, it needs to be swapped.

If using the Z31 engine you need to swap everything above along with:

- Intake manifold (upper and lower)
- Fuel rail (Z31 has top feed injectors from what I understand) *see “Other things you’ll need If you use the Z31 engine”

Q: What kind of things do I need to buy to get it running?
A: You’ll need to get quite a few things but if you search a little bit you can actually find everything for a good price. The things you need include:

- JWT ECU or some sort of fuel management (I bought the Apex’i S-AFC 2 and it seems to work fine)
- Custom crossover pipe to make the install easier (check out the pictures on my Cardomain site)
- Most importantly to get this to work, you'll need to have the manifolds worked on a bit if you relocate the turbo.*** I'll have this outlined in the writeup.
- Custom intake and exhaust (can be done at your local exhaust shop for cheap or if you want to have a higher quality setup you can order mandrel bends and have someone weld it all together unless you can weld it yourself to save money)
- A blow off valve. The 300zx comes with a pop off valve which I believe is supposed to protect from over boosting if the wastegate ever fails. I would replace this with a good blow off valve. Something cheap yet effective is a 1st generation eclipse blow off valve. They are said to handle a good amount of boost without leaking and you can pick them up for 30 bucks or so.
- Aftermarket wastegate since when you move the turbo you'll have to turn the housings which won't allow you use the stock internal wastegate setup and you also won’t be able to use the stock o2 sensor housing (which contains the wastegate valve on the 84-86 T3 turbo)
- Various flanges and gaskets as needed (t3 flange for the turbo)
- Turbocharger if the one that comes with the engine is missing or bad. if you get the Z31 engine you'll definitely want to get a different turbo. The 87-89 has the T25 setup, which is pathetic, so I'd upgrade to, at the least, an 84-86 300ZX turbocharger. Ebay is a good place to get low price turbo. You’ll want one with a .63 A/R turbine wheel, which is a good size for a 3-liter V6.
- 255-lph Walbro fuel pump (very inexpensive)
- Might pick up a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (1:1 increase) but it shouldn't be necessary
- Various gauges like boost/vacuum, egt, or just whatever you want and feel like you need. I recommend at least boost, egt, and possibly fuel pressure. If you have the money to spend (300-500 dollars) I would get a wideband O2 sensor setup. The wideband O2 sensor is much more accurate than the stock O2 sensor which will help with tuning your engine and will also let you know immediately if you are going too lean. Places to get the wideband O2 sensor setup are: PLX Devices and Innovate Motorsports.

Other things you’ll need if you use the Z31 engine are:

- Larger injectors. Since you have to swap the fuel rail you need to upgrade the injectors because the Maxima’s injector won’t cut it. The Maxima’s injectors are rated at 180cc, which is way too small for a forced induction application. One route to take would be injectors off of a 90-94 300ZX N/A or the Infiniti J30.** The injectors are side feed and high impedance so they should slip right into the Maxima’s fuel rail and the ECU should be able to use them with no problems. Another route would be the side feed 370cc injectors that came off the 90-94 300ZX Twin Turbo. If you go that route you will most likely need a different fuel computer than the Apex’i S-AFC (if you decide to use one of those). The S-AFC will only adjust fuel by +/- 50% and 370cc injectors are over 50% larger than the 180cc Maxima injectors.

** Many thanks to Ari aka Nismo87SE for the info on the injectors!
*** Since the route I took for the manifold required modification using large cutting wheel and a cutting torch I'm trying to figure out a way to make this work so people who don't have access to these tools can still set everything up properly.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Big_E-Dog could you just look for me and give me prices? im interested.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Big_E-Dog could you just look for me and give me prices? im interested.
might as well ask him to come over and build it for you too.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22
That is just so backwards in my eyes but its your money and your life, do as you please
I don't think it's backasswards!!! It's unique to have a Turbo'd Third Generation Maxima, there aren't too many out there and I think these Maxima's look better. A four door sports car with ****in' Turbo is sick!!!. I'd like to see all the progress on this project and the finished result.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
I don't think it's backasswards!!! It's unique to have a Turbo'd Third Generation Maxima, there aren't too many out there and I think these Maxima's look better. A four door sports car with ****in' Turbo is sick!!!. I'd like to see all the progress on this project and the finished result.
pretty much what im going for, lots of people have already built 4dr cars here like RB26 swapped 4dr Skylines and stuff. i want something different, i hate the businessmen who drive Skylines and dont even know what theyre really driving, to them its just a expensive fancy toy. a few days ago i saw a guy in a suit driving a R33 GTR downtown yakkin away on his cellphone

Big E Dog did you ever submit your TT 2nd gen to Import Tuner or any mags like that? your 2nd gen is so awesome
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM

You know what I don't understand where all the negativity is coming from on this subject. Somebody was lookin' for help installing a turbo in his third gen and somebody was talking about becoming an automotive technician then receiving all these negative responses. There looking for help/advice/suggestions not some coward *** remarks. I come to this site for suggestions on things like reassurance, check out other Max's, ideas or suggest ideas or solutions to people who are having problems or looking for other possibilities. Good wrenching with your turbo if you decide to keep your Max/install turbo..
Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

You know what I don't understand where all the negativity is coming from on this subject. Somebody was lookin' for help installing a turbo in his third gen and somebody was talking about becoming an automotive technician then receiving all these negative responses. There looking for help/advice/suggestions not some coward *** remarks. I come to this site for suggestions on things like reassurance, check out other Max's, ideas or suggest ideas or solutions to people who are having problems or looking for other possibilities. Good wrenching with your turbo if you decide to keep your Max/install turbo..
the problem I have is not the idea; it's the refusals to listen to advice, nor do any research oneself.
my brother is one of the most computer-illiterate people I know; so far he has managed to figure our how/ to download the manual/service manual for his Accord, managed to figure out what engine(s) can be swapped in, managed to find what ecus work and won't work.
if my brother can figure out this internet-forum-search junk, a 15 year old should have no problem.
if they can't, they are too lazy to turbo a car properly.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
the problem I have is not the idea; it's the refusals to listen to advice, nor do any research oneself.
my brother is one of the most computer-illiterate people I know; so far he has managed to figure our how/ to download the manual/service manual for his Accord, managed to figure out what engine(s) can be swapped in, managed to find what ecus work and won't work.
if my brother can figure out this internet-forum-search junk, a 15 year old should have no problem.
if they can't, they are too lazy to turbo a car properly.
Yeah when you consider the lack of motivation to do the footwork then I can understand the frustration but I'd rather just not even bother but I do feel yah. Sometimes and I don't mean you personally some members can get a little aggressive with there replies. To me that's the same thing as a telephone tough guy, just now there internet gangster's. That's what I mean but I'm just trying to offer suggestions that's all.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Thank you!!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

I need to pull all this turbo stuff together and sell it:

Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM

These threads used to get locked after the first few sarcastic/rude replies. Every week or so somebody pops up and shares their turbo/vg30ett/5 speed fantasy with us and what follows is absolute rubbish. Based on my experience with 8 years lurking on the .org, this OP has a 99% chance of putting the car in the junkyard before it gets a turbo. I hope the OP doesn't take this personally, its just statistics.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nismax1994
These threads used to get locked after the first few sarcastic/rude replies. Every week or so somebody pops up and shares their turbo/vg30ett/5 speed fantasy with us and what follows is absolute rubbish. Based on my experience with 8 years lurking on the .org, this OP has a 99% chance of putting the car in the junkyard before it gets a turbo. I hope the OP doesn't take this personally, its just statistics.
i hope i dont become a statistic with my 5 speed fantasy
Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
i hope i dont become a statistic with my 5 speed fantasy
nothing wrong with doing a 5spd swap... by now i could probably do one on a VG car with my eyes closed. the issue is with so many people just assuming they can drop a z32 motor in the bay or twinturbo the stock motor or some bs like that, which is either impossible due to space constraints, or more difficult than it's worth, unsafe, etc etc. the thing is, that NO maxima is, ever has been, or is ever supposed to be a high-performance car. It's not a sports car. It's just a family sedan that is better than other cars in its class. That's it.

That's why, instead of trying to use z31 parts to make my Maxima faster, i just went ahead and bought a whole Z31 because no matter what I do to the maxima, the exact same mod will have twice the effect on a 50/50 weight balanced RWD tourer like my Z. I just can't carry more than one passenger cuz there's no rear seats... at all.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
nothing wrong with doing a 5spd swap... by now i could probably do one on a VG car with my eyes closed. the issue is with so many people just assuming they can drop a z32 motor in the bay or twinturbo the stock motor or some bs like that, which is either impossible due to space constraints, or more difficult than it's worth, unsafe, etc etc. the thing is, that NO maxima is, ever has been, or is ever supposed to be a high-performance car. It's not a sports car. It's just a family sedan that is better than other cars in its class. That's it.

That's why, instead of trying to use z31 parts to make my Maxima faster, i just went ahead and bought a whole Z31 because no matter what I do to the maxima, the exact same mod will have twice the effect on a 50/50 weight balanced RWD tourer like my Z. I just can't carry more than one passenger cuz there's no rear seats... at all.
yeah im over here ****tt!in brickks im so excited..

but when u need to carry more then one person... the maxima come is... especially when youre having a dream about taking coworkers to shareholders meetings. lol

Quick Reply: Turbo kit in my maxima?