3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rolling back km on a cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM

rolling back km on a cluster

I know this is probably illegal but I have an se cluster and want to put it on my gxe and my gxe has 201000km while the cluster has 314000 and i want it to read my actual km, is there any way to do this without taking apart the whole cluster
Old 03-05-2010, 02:49 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

nope gotta rip i apart.

have fun!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 PM

I got lucky with mine. I took the front plastic off and used a pencil to roll them back. You have to push them past the clips. It's pretty easy. For anyone wondering, I was putting SE gauges in a GXE...
Old 03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

just muscle the thing to read the mileage that you want. i had to adjust one a while back (swapped clusters, ran x amount of mileage, then decided to swap my original odo back on and correct the mileage difference). just be firm but gentle and you can turn the number wheels to match up to whatever you need them to say.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Take the odometer from the old cluster and put it in the new one. Literally about 5 minutes to do and is not all that hard of a job.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:24 PM

funny you guys brought this thread up; while selling insurance the other day, i insured a guy that has access to software to roll back DIGITAL odometers on pretty much any car, Mercedes,BMW, Audi, Inifiniti, etc. for a flat fee. while saying to myself that is pretty cool, i wondered Holy Smokes! that means now there is software to actually roll back mileage on any car.
so now you can buy a used car from a dealer and never know if the mileage was adjusted.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

midnight, what you are doing, I don't believe is illegal, as long as anyone you sell the car to is told the cluster was swapped. my title says my odo is exempt, so I could put it at 2 miles, and not have to say anything to a buyer...

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
funny you guys brought this thread up; while selling insurance the other day, i insured a guy that has access to software to roll back DIGITAL odometers on pretty much any car, Mercedes,BMW, Audi, Inifiniti, etc. for a flat fee. while saying to myself that is pretty cool, i wondered Holy Smokes! that means now there is software to actually roll back mileage on any car.
so now you can buy a used car from a dealer and never know if the mileage was adjusted.
that is illegal.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 PM

that guys is an idiot for saying that he has the software. if you don't do it correctly there is a small LED that will light up which if the owner of the car will not know about it but if they take their car into service the dealer will know right off the bat that the cluster has been tampered with. also we do check history all the time when we see cars come in. i've already encountered a few BMW's with the tampered cluster dot. can you say "VOID"
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Why would you think it's illegal to roll back a higher mileage odometer to the actual mileage of the car

Anyway, as said, just swap the odometer assembly, might take 10 minutes of your life.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

oh.. yea swapping the odometer itself is the easier option... it's held in by just a few screws. just pop off the clear plastic shell and the black plastic front bezel. unhook the odometer signal plug from the back of the speedometer then unscrew the screws on the back that hold on your speedo and fuel/temp gauges, and take them out. then remove the screws circled in red. swap speedo and reassemble.

the reason i didn't just do it on mine is cuz my original one broke (one of the gears snapped in two) so i had to take another one and match it to what my old one said.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
that guys is an idiot for saying that he has the software. if you don't do it correctly there is a small LED that will light up which if the owner of the car will not know about it but if they take their car into service the dealer will know right off the bat that the cluster has been tampered with. also we do check history all the time when we see cars come in. i've already encountered a few BMW's with the tampered cluster dot. can you say "VOID"
well he said the main purpose of it was to help people get out of paying xtra money on a leased vehicle. obvioulsy they arent gonna scan the car when the customer returns the vehicle. they just simply record the mileage. scary stuff though.
i always thought that's its cool that all manufacturers upgraded their odometers to digital, but now im thinking, its not such a good thing after all.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM

yep its not illegal, fraud-ish though to sell a 300k car and throw in a 100k cluster and not let the new buyer know though

i know this has most likely been asked 1000 times but do SE and GXE clusters directly swap out? doing the 280z gauges after i go turbo and my GXE's cluster doesnt fully work, RPM cuts in 10% of the time and temperature cuts in 50% of the time and i dont want to change the solenoids really. do SE just wire right up with no adjustments needed?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chrome91
yep its not illegal, fraud-ish though to sell a 300k car and throw in a 100k cluster and not let the new buyer know though

i know this has most likely been asked 1000 times but do SE and GXE clusters directly swap out? doing the 280z gauges after i go turbo and my GXE's cluster doesnt fully work, RPM cuts in 10% of the time and temperature cuts in 50% of the time and i dont want to change the solenoids really. do SE just wire right up with no adjustments needed?
yea the absolute only difference is the color of the plastic gauge faces and the rubber 'bulb condoms' (green vs pale blue... pale blue + orangey incandescent light = white)

you can actually mix and match the gauges themselves inside the cluster like black white black or whatever.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM

might go that route then, i might rip out my GXE cluster and play with it because IIRC the RPM partially working happened after i nailed a curb, half working temp gauge started with the previous owner and you have to tap the cluster to get it working so both may be just loose wiring, RPM needle thrashes at times bad though.

or i might just deal with it for another year or two for the Z gauges
Old 03-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by chrome91
might go that route then, i might rip out my GXE cluster and play with it because IIRC the RPM partially working happened after i nailed a curb, half working temp gauge started with the previous owner and you have to tap the cluster to get it working so both may be just loose wiring, RPM needle thrashes at times bad though.

or i might just deal with it for another year or two for the Z gauges
why on earth are you gonna attempt to use the Z gauges anyways? they used speedo cables up until 1987......
Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
STFU n00b!

Some people have more ideas than common sense.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 PM

well he said the main purpose of it was to help people get out of paying xtra money on a leased vehicle. obvioulsy they arent gonna scan the car when the customer returns the vehicle. they just simply record the mileage. scary stuff though.
i always thought that's its cool that all manufacturers upgraded their odometers to digital, but now im thinking, its not such a good thing after all.
honestly, i can tell you that we can scan leas returns if we wanted to and it can actually tell us how many miles the car really has. we can easily pull the mileage out of the DME (ECU) or even from the light module and other modules that stores the real mileage on BMW's then they will be held responsible. it sucks about having a lease vehicle and i know how it feels cuz i barely drive my 335i for that matter and my lease is up next month.

back on topic, just swap the odometers from cluster to cluster and thats it. no need to go through the hassle of trying to roll the numbers back just swap them.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Get Off My Lawn

There are some who say rolling back an odometer is not illegal, but you must check your state's laws individually. IIRC (and this has been years, so maybe some changes), in some states the law says you cannot "tamper" with the odometer AT ALL! (Hint hint = ILLEGAL!) Others state cannot roll back or change the odometer without obtaining documentation from the registration department. Others seemed to indicate only a licensed mechanic could change the parts and set the numbers to match the old, but it still had to be "marked" somehow on the vehicle (door, glove box, registration?).
Old 03-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
There are some who say rolling back an odometer is not illegal, but you must check your state's laws individually. IIRC (and this has been years, so maybe some changes), in some states the law says you cannot "tamper" with the odometer AT ALL! (Hint hint = ILLEGAL!) Others state cannot roll back or change the odometer without obtaining documentation from the registration department. Others seemed to indicate only a licensed mechanic could change the parts and set the numbers to match the old, but it still had to be "marked" somehow on the vehicle (door, glove box, registration?).
thing is though as long as you aren't way way off (ie, less mileage than a previously documented reading) then nobody well ever know with one like these. if you're just best-guess matching to match a functional odometer to a broken odometer's reading + 2-3 average months' worth of miles, it can never be proven that you did anything.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
thing is though as long as you aren't way way off (ie, less mileage than a previously documented reading) then nobody well ever know with one like these. if you're just best-guess matching to match a functional odometer to a broken odometer's reading + 2-3 average months' worth of miles, it can never be proven that you did anything.
True, but not getting caught does not make it right, okay, or legal.

I just think if Maxima.org takes a stand on talking about other illegal activities (and rightfully so!) such as drag racing, drugs, and offensive images/comments/etc...... then I believe that needs to be maintained within this thread as well.

I don't agree with helping others know how to engage in fraud or communicate that it is okay. The fact and relevance of legality with this topic needs to be very clear. For no other reason but so to not open the forum up for any liability.

I don't know the intentions of anyone looking at "fixing" their odometer problem and don't assume they are malicious. But I'm also not so niave as to not make clear the consequences for those who are not so "honerable." That also, for when people are being "stand up" they DON'T get into trouble because they know and can go about it the right way. If the person has the information and choose to do it anyway, it's on them!