3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

misfiring? kind of odd thing today

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Way out West

misfiring? kind of odd thing today

My car has been sitting in the garage since about October. I had started it a few times since then, maybe every 3-4 weeks or so and let it run for 5-10 minutes. I also kept a trickle charger on the battery.

I actually drove it for about 15 minutes on Thursday and it ran fine (VTCs clacked for a while).

Today, I went to drive it and it seemed like it was only running on 5 cylinders.

I let it sit in the driveway for a few minutes at idle and it was definitely missing. I drove it around the block to see if I was just imagining things and it still did it.

I turned the car off, restarted it maybe 30 seconds later, and it was running just fine. I drove it around town for about 30 minutes, went to the store, everything seemed normal. I started and stopped it 6-7 times and it didn't do it again.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

I am guessing maybe an injector or something with the fuel injection/electronic ignition. It just seems really strange to just happen for a little while and not return.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 PM

might be something just working itself out from the car sitting, maybe just something on a injector like buildup? if it doesnt misfire anymore i wouldnt worry about it
Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 PM

My VG was doing it a year ago. Changed the fuel filter, filled up at Chevron and drove it to Bend. Hasn't happened since.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 PM

good point check your fuel filter
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM

That's happened to my 95 max... I had it sitting for about 2 months and when I started it. It had that same missfire...but after driving it around for like 30 minutes...it went away...then a couple of days later it came back...so I changed the fuel filter and ran it with high octane shell gas and I hasn't done it since...
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
might be something just working itself out from the car sitting, maybe just something on a injector like buildup? if it doesnt misfire anymore i wouldnt worry about it
yeah sitting around for a while, and temp changes, sediment settles, condensation in the tank..change fuel filter..and if it sits around, add some fuel stabilizer.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It means you need to drive it more, Chris...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Way out West

yeah, I dusted it off because I have to take a trip and it is more comfortable than my GMC.

I drove it to work today and around town and it seems to be running fine. I am going to wash and wax it tomorrow plus put in some new gas. Hopefully, everything will be cool, since it's about 300 miles round trip.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:52 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sounds like you have an injector going out chris, my old ve done the same crap when my first/second injector went out..it starts out intermittent just like that.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
My car has been sitting in the garage since about October. I had started it a few times since then, maybe every 3-4 weeks or so and let it run for 5-10 minutes. I also kept a trickle charger on the battery.

I actually drove it for about 15 minutes on Thursday and it ran fine (VTCs clacked for a while).

Today, I went to drive it and it seemed like it was only running on 5 cylinders.

I let it sit in the driveway for a few minutes at idle and it was definitely missing. I drove it around the block to see if I was just imagining things and it still did it.

I turned the car off, restarted it maybe 30 seconds later, and it was running just fine. I drove it around town for about 30 minutes, went to the store, everything seemed normal. I started and stopped it 6-7 times and it didn't do it again.

I am guessing maybe an injector or something with the fuel injection/electronic ignition. It just seems really strange to just happen for a little while and not return.
pardon my ignorance but how can you tell that your car is misfiring? When my car is cold to start, I feel somewhat of a studder. It was a lot worse when I used regular fuel, now that I switch to 89 its much better. Wondering if my car is misfiring.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Sounds like you have an injector going out chris, my old ve done the same crap when my first/second injector went out..it starts out intermittent just like that.
+1. I've replaced 5 injectors now and they all acted just like that (replaced one on the back before it was dead just because its a lot of work to get back there)
Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Way out West

I was thinking injector. This is a JDM engine, so I am not sure the mileage on it. That is one of the things I have never replaced, so it must be so.

Hopefully, it will get me to my training and back home this week.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by gladiator
pardon my ignorance but how can you tell that your car is misfiring? When my car is cold to start, I feel somewhat of a studder. It was a lot worse when I used regular fuel, now that I switch to 89 its much better. Wondering if my car is misfiring.
You can definitely tell. It doesn't run smooth at all.

Just for kicks, remove one of your spark plugs and start up your car. You can check the compression while you are at it.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You will be fine driving it on your trip, just watch for it to happen again. Not sure if the location of the injectors on a VE makes them accessible, but you can get to 5 out of 6 of the plugs on a VG. If it does it again and you have time to stop, pull over and try pulling the plugs one by one until you find the one that doesn't make it run any worse when you unplug it. I'm sure you already know this, but I thought I'd say it anyway...

Another method I have used in the past is listening to the injectors with a mechanic's stethoscope.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 AM

i went thru the same thing until i had it replaced now my fuel is just sittin in the cylinder and not burning like its supposed to...waiting for my mechanic to tell me the compression in the cylinder is bad... but praying thats not the issue.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Hopefully/maybe thats it then. I had the same misfire symptoms in mine and chalked it up as an injector. I shut the car off, juiced the starter to turn the motor over with all the plugs out and a gush of gas shot out of cyl #1 - chris maybe you can try this to diagnose it?

I was thinking injector. This is a JDM engine, so I am not sure the mileage on it. That is one of the things I have never replaced, so it must be so.

Hopefully, it will get me to my training and back home this week.
It will get you there and back, may not run at 100% but still Does it sit there and misfire at idle, yet run and pull hard at high rpms? or is the miss all the time
Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Maximan190
Hopefully/maybe thats it then. I had the same misfire symptoms in mine and chalked it up as an injector. I shut the car off, juiced the starter to turn the motor over with all the plugs out and a gush of gas shot out of cyl #1 - chris maybe you can try this to diagnose it?

It will get you there and back, may not run at 100% but still Does it sit there and misfire at idle, yet run and pull hard at high rpms? or is the miss all the time
It was definitely missing a cylinder for several minutes -- all rpm ranges. I shut it off, started it back up and no miss at all.

I have driven it two days since and it seems to be running fine. I am going to wash and wax it here in a bit and drive it around town to run some errands before I leave.

This afternoon, I am leaving, but I will have some internet access at my training facility. (it's really odd -- wireless, but slow as dial up) I will try to update this thread on how it drives on the way down there.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM

I have driven it two days since and it seems to be running fine. I am going to wash and wax it here in a bit and drive it around town to run some errands before I leave.
it feels neglected
id guess injector
pretty easy to check the ohms
as long as you remember to check the back 3 via the harness
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by maximagician
it feels neglected
id guess injector
pretty easy to check the ohms
as long as you remember to check the back 3 via the harness
Well, I am at my training (break right now). I drove it all day yesterday, running errands, bought a new camera and drove to my training. I put on about 200 miles, mostly freeway (65-85 mph), some in town (Portland and Salem, Oregon). Still hasn't happened again.

If it does, I will test them and replace the one that's bad.

In the future expect some better pictures.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Misfiring

Could possibly be your distributor cap. My cap was cracked and misfired as well. Good Luck.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by xXkas0_oXx
Could possibly be your distributor cap. My cap was cracked and misfired as well. Good Luck.

find the cap and win a cookie!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by xXkas0_oXx

n00bs
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 PM

oil cap? i found it!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Way out West

haha

I have been driving my car daily for the last couple of weeks and still hasn't happened again.

I guess it was the distributor cap after all
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Injectors

I am actually having an interesting issue myself, I let it idle for a while and I started driving and then it just shut off on me! Even steering was almost impossible, but yea it sounds like an injector issue because I had a terrible vibrating issue before this a while back while idling and driving, then put that injector cleaner in the tank and it went away, but now after a few months (not using that cleaner which i probably should) there is this clicking noise in the engine, sounds like the injector because that is what caused my car to stall.So for any injector issues try the cleaner because it works wonders.