3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ok updates...gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:51 AM

ok updates...gas leak

so recently ive been going thru a gas leak issue...replaced all spark plug wires, plugs and the what i thought bad injector? nope still leaking now ive gotta go in and test the compression in cylinder 6. what fun!?? im hoping and praying that the compression in my cylinder isnt bad because it couldnt come at a worse time than now. if compression test turns out to be good any other ideas on ways to troubleshoot my issue?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:07 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
so recently ive been going thru a gas leak issue...replaced all spark plug wires, plugs and the what i thought bad injector? nope still leaking now ive gotta go in and test the compression in cylinder 6. what fun!?? im hoping and praying that the compression in my cylinder isnt bad because it couldnt come at a worse time than now. if compression test turns out to be good any other ideas on ways to troubleshoot my issue?
You did and want to do all that for a gas leak?

How do you know you have a gas leak?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
You did and want to do all that for a gas leak?

How do you know you have a gas leak?
easily cause im watching the gas leak out onto my exhaust piping...the leak only does it when cylinder 6's injector is plugged in...after i take it off the leaking stops.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 AM

I don't think the compression test will shed much light on the blinding problem right in front of you. If it only leaks when it is on, then wouldn't the seal be faulty, and I may be missing something here too..... Didn't you tear it down and see if the pressure from the pump caused a leak? I couldn't remember and this thread isn't your old one which you could have added to for clarity in diagnosis.............. Have you checked the seal?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 AM
LvR

easily cause im watching the gas leak out onto my exhaust piping...the leak only does it when cylinder 6's injector is plugged in...after i take it off the leaking stops.
"ONTO"? .......... as in external? - if so you have a fire hazard and I certainly cannot see how an injector can be responsible for that.

"plugged - in" situation only? ................ doesn't make sense at all - the fuel rail and o-rings must therefore be fine because its irrelevant whether or not the injector is energized via the connector - the inner/outer body of the injector is always under pressure that the o-rings must seal off.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
"ONTO"? .......... as in external? - if so you have a fire hazard and I certainly cannot see how an injector can be responsible for that.

"plugged - in" situation only? ................ doesn't make sense at all - the fuel rail and o-rings must therefore be fine because its irrelevant whether or not the injector is energized via the connector - the inner/outer body of the injector is always under pressure that the o-rings must seal off.
I was thinking the same thing, but I dont' know what to make of the situation atleast......
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 AM

i bought a maxima as a parts car and it did the same thing yours is... but i couldnt see a leak any were i could just smell it i wasnt driving it though...
did you check the fuel rail maybe its leakin were the rubber hose hooks up???
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by LvR

Originally Posted by ve30max
I was thinking the same thing, but I dont' know what to make of the situation atleast......
ok im not much of a car expert...all i know is when i get under my car while that #6 injector is plugged up gas starts just drizzling down my exhaust manifold onto my exhaust piping...i do have a broken exhaust manifold stud...and stops as soon as i pull off the injector harness...im thinking something is grounding out that injector? i could be wrong because if that injector was being grounded wouldnt that cause all them to do the same?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 AM
LvR

ok im not much of a car expert...all i know is when i get under my car while that #6 injector is plugged up gas starts just drizzling down my exhaust manifold onto my exhaust piping...i do have a broken exhaust manifold stud...and stops as soon as i pull off the injector harness...im thinking something is grounding out that injector? i could be wrong because if that injector was being grounded wouldnt that cause all them to do the same?
Lets start afresh:

The basic operation of an injector is such that its physically impossible for the injector to make fuel run down the outside of the exhaust pipe - its simply not possible - plugged in or not - AT ALL.

Can you take a picture of the situation both with the injector unplugged as well as plugged-in ................. I don't see any other way of tackling this because your description of the facts of the problem simply doesn't match up with science at all
Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 AM

i agree with lvr theres no way its an injector
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 AM

take lots of pictures that normally helps there should be a rule on here that says you cant start a thread without pictures of whats wrong lol
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ummm.....
it's spraying gas, only when connected (and engine is running I presume). in other words, it works fine, it's just not spraying into the intake, but rather, everywhere else.
when you replaced the injector, you probably installed it wrong.

also, it is rude to have multiple threads on one subject. might consider that when you have ongoing issues.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

thank you ben i might be new here but that makes sense dont make new threads about on going issues its just rude and i think your right he probably installed it wrong cause that same thing happened to me on my truck and i just reinstalled it properly and it worked fine
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by BenStoked
ummm.....
it's spraying gas, only when connected (and engine is running I presume). in other words, it works fine, it's just not spraying into the intake, but rather, everywhere else.
Only way that is possible is if the injector and rail its seated in is not installed on the engine .................
Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by LvR
Only way that is possible is if the injector and rail its seated in is not installed on the engine .................
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
ummm.....

also, it is rude to have multiple threads on one subject. might consider that when you have ongoing issues.
ok only reason i posted another thread is because i wasnt gettin any replies on the old thread i had originally posted on this(went like 4 days with no reply)..ok ill try to take a picture of the issue but its gonna be kinda hard seein as where im watching the leak come from...ive installed injectors before in my car so i know its installed properly...ive already come to the conclusion its not my injector...thats what i thought at first until i actually got in to try and diagnose it...plus i would think that my ECU would throw a code at me which its still sayin normal operation. basically what my mechanic told me today is that the gas is actually leaking through the broken manifold stud that i have otherwise it would be going thru the exhaust itself...im getting my mechanic to work on it cause i really dont have the time to keep troubleshooting it at the moment...sorry if ive confused you guys on what im trying to explain...im just trying to explain it to the best of my abilities which are not that great when it comes to mechanics lol
Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 AM

Got a air compressor? Hook up pressurized air to the inlet of the fuel rail and plug the return hose break out some soapy water and spray your entire fuel rail/injectors/hoses/regulator and look for those bubbles buddy!!!!!! GL
My guess is the regulator oring leaking!!!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM

NO! its not installed wrong! he has compression! Its not the Fuel rail! He is watching it drip from his manifold! the injector # 6 is spraying to much and the other front 2 injectors are spraying to less causing the front 3 cylinders to not fire! im having the same problem! Its not mass air flow, not ANY gasket, not distributer, not camshaft position sensor, not throttle position sensor, not grounds, not plug wires or plugs, not computer, not emission control sensor, NOT ISTALLED WRONG. TEST THE OTHER FRONT INJECTORS. I cant figure out what is wrong? does anybody know? this must be a common problem!!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM

I have a 1989 nissan maxima. It sat for 7 years, since ive had it i put on, new spark plugs, spark plug wires, K&N filter, Camshaft position sensor/Distributer, clutch, water pump, rear main seal, timing belt, tires, interior work, and exhaust. nothing major, just regular fix ups. When i got it after sitting, it appeared only the spark plug wires were chewed on by mice. Im having a very big problem with it tho. It starts fine, and the computer tells me code #55, meaning nothings wrong. When i drove it it missed and spit and had very little power, but sounded nice under 2000RPM. So i looked at it, I found out my injector was spraying in way to much fuel, i could smell it and that cylinder, plus 2 others were not firing. all 3 back cylinders run fine, but none of the front run at all. the far left front cylinder, i think #2, Was spraying way to much fuel, so i replaced the computer, later to find out it dident fix it, and plus my other 2 front cylinders, i think #s 4 and 6, werent getting enough fuel. i tested them, the far left front injector plug read like 13v, the other 2 read around 2.57v. all 3 back ones read between 11 and 12v. but the front 3 stay the same they dont change ever, to open and close. im getting spark, air, and fuel, i checked, throttle position sensor, grounds, emission control sensor, plugs, compression, intake, and they all turned out good. Ive seen on forums people have this same probllem, ive been trying to figure this out for a few months now, could you please help me or just tell me what i could do or need to do to fix this? Thank you very much, Robert Zeromski.