3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fog Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Fog Light Question

Im thinking of picking up a set of fogs from an SE for my GXE so I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it a plug and play installation?
2. What are all the parts needed for a complete install?

Thanks Everyone
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM

i bought aftermarkets for my GXE, i just tapped them into my headlights so i didnt have to use a switch, theyre just small white rectangular ones so theyre not a obstruction to anyone or anything. i would imagine you can do the same thing with SE's

if you have the stock bumper i just drilled a hole into the black plastic part and installed the fogs there
Old 02-08-2010, 09:13 PM

IIRC all maximas should be prewired for foglights. You'll still have to find the connectors in the engine bay though, if the foglights on the SE are stock then it will be plug and play, if they were aftermarket you'll need to strip the wires and connect them, still pretty simple.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by gfnk357
IIRC all maximas should be prewired for foglights
i never knew that. I kinda want to get some larger round JDM yellow fogs now too

but dont SE's have the foglight switch on the left of the wheel with the mirror control etc? because my GXE has a black rectangle where there is no button and IIRC all of the junkyard SE's had a foglight switch there, wouldnt GXE's not be wired for fogs then?

Last edited by chrome91; 02-08-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM

My 92 GXE was prewired for fogs; the wires are tucked/folded behind the bumper where the fogs are supposed to go. You have to get a switch for the dash and a relay.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghostmax
My 92 GXE was prewired for fogs; the wires are tucked/folded behind the bumper where the fogs are supposed to go. You have to get a switch for the dash and a relay.
what the noodles seriously? that would have saved me alot of time and trouble.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 AM

but dont SE's have the foglight switch on the left of the wheel with the mirror control etc? because my GXE has a black rectangle where there is no button and IIRC all of the junkyard SE's had a foglight switch there, wouldnt GXE's not be wired for fogs then?
I had heard several times on the forum that all maximas were prewired for fogs and just assumed all had the switch too since I have a GXE with a switch but no fogs (no evidence that there ever were fogs either), I winder if the switch in the dash of my car was a model year change or something the previous owner did?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:28 AM

In my GXE I have the wires pre-wired for the fogs from the bumper to the dash, I just need to get a SE fog light switch/lights and it's plug and play.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM

I did it last year, just did aftermarket lights and got a switch and relay out of an SE, very simple. The connectors were tied way up behind the headlights and I needed to cut out the bumper down there but its marked where to cut it to make room. Just need a sharp knife to cut it.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 PM

well, yeah all GXE's should be pre-wired. i know my gxe is prewired. installed new fogs, switch and relay and i was good to go. no need to run extra wires and switch and fuses for this. your car should have the wires already there so search behind your front bumper and headlights.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Have A 1990 SE Maxima And I Had Some AFTERMARKET FOGS Installed But They're HID's. I Wanted Some FACTORY FOGS Bc The Ones I Have Are PROJECTION FOGS And Dont Give Me That WIDE RANGE LOOK! I Saw A 3rd Generation Max With Some Fogs That Fit RIGHT INTO THE BUMPER! I NEED Those! Somebody Told Me That The Factory Fogs Cant Take HID Bulbs Bc The Bulb Itself Is TOO LONG. IDK Much About Them But I Would Like More Of An OEM Look For My Fogs! Please Help Me Out!

If You Can Email Me With Some Suggestions, Links, Pics, Anything That Can Help!
Thank You

FRAPPACHICO@YAHOO.COM
Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 AM

Welcome! You might find out that most information on here is already posted, and you just have to find it. Like the fog light questions you have. It seems the HID kits out there won't work too well with the OEM fog lights, for reasons you have stated, but there is a good, recent thread which talks about this, and you may want to sdearch for it b/c it will explain the possibilities with HIDs oin these cars very well. As far as the fog lights appearing to tbe in the bumper, the only considerable way this is possible is with a stillen lip, like the one on this member's Maxima. Though, they do not have OEM lights, you get the idea hopefully....... Enjoy!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM

what color was the Max you saw it on? my gold/light brown 92 GXE has aftermarket fogs tucked in the stock bumper w/ no body kit
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM

You Canadians are so special. I am pretty sure our GXE models came without said fog lights.........

The picutre shown is another member's max, from their signature.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM

ours are only wired for factory fogs like yours though, we only have fogs on SE's as well. i just bought aftermarket fogs that are oval and thin enough to mount inbetween the gaps in the stock GXE's front bumper black part.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM

I just got an aftermarket kit for mine, came with everything and only cost me $35 (CDN)

Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
ours are only wired for factory fogs like yours though, we only have fogs on SE's as well. i just bought aftermarket fogs that are oval and thin enough to mount inbetween the gaps in the stock GXE's front bumper black part.

My bad, I thought we were speaking OEM all the way around..... It is convenient that the wiring is waiting for those GXEs waiting to shine their lovely aftermarket lights.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM

i actually never knew until this thread that GXE's were prewired. would have saved alot of trouble but i love my aftermarket fogs
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 PM

There is another thread recently I encountered that discussed this, a few .orgers knew about it, from experience I think, and it took me by surprise. I will have a GXE in the future and may utilize this info.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
i actually never knew until this thread that GXE's were prewired. would have saved alot of trouble but i love my aftermarket fogs
well, now you know for next time. enjoy.

ve30max: i actually removed those round fogs and just slapped on some oem look-a-likes on there since i got tired of that round fog crap. i went back to the rectangular ones since it fits nicer with the stillen lip kit than other fog lights.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM

Just while everyone's on the topic of fog lights i thought i'd see what everyone thought about these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I know the selection is kinda limited when it comes to fog lights, but what do yall think about these? I kinda like the jdm yellow look... im thinkin about ordering a pair and seeing how they look and fit. The price aint too bad either.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
well, now you know for next time. enjoy.

ve30max: i actually removed those round fogs and just slapped on some oem look-a-likes on there since i got tired of that round fog crap. i went back to the rectangular ones since it fits nicer with the stillen lip kit than other fog lights.
Awesome, I would imagine that would be the best look, and function IMO. I would love to have some stock foggers, but I am apprehensive b/c they are so easy to destroy seeing as they protrude outwards into a "danger zone", if you will, and trees/curbs/the occasional ricer, all have the tendency to break them, for me at least.

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Just while everyone's on the topic of fog lights i thought i'd see what everyone thought about these.

I know the selection is kinda limited when it comes to fog lights, but what do yall think about these? I kinda like the jdm yellow look... im thinkin about ordering a pair and seeing how they look and fit. The price aint too bad either.
I think these look like terrible lights, with all due respect, the transparent lens, and the yellow color would both provide a very uncomfortable sight for oncoming traffic. Stick with OEM, or :matt93se: IMO when it comes to fogs. They may work good for you, but not others around you. I can't say 100% that these allegations are indeed true, but just judging from what I have read from other posts, it seems the design of these lights aren't conducive for a safe driving light.

Last edited by ve30max; 02-18-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM

im gonna have to agree with ve30max on this one. the lights look like crap to me. and its seems that you will still have a gap all the way around with you lip kit. the lens being yellow will not go with the rest of the car. but keep in mind these are just our opinions. this is your car so you can buy and install whatever you like to your taste. but i would suggest to get some fogs similar to the oem ones for our cars and then just change the bulb color if you want the yellow color. this would be something that i would do.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 AM

i would get those personally, i want larger fogs in JDM yellow eventually. check local laws though because some places dont allow yellow foglights
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM

Haha down here in north florida they dont care about any of that stuff lol we got people runnin HID's that are bright as hell and then we got the rednecks that run just headers on their trucks and still dont get pulled over!! haha
Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 PM

I just came from the junk yard and scored a set of oem fogs from an SE along with the switch and relay but my question is where are the wires that come from the dash to the switch ?? are they tucked way back in there ?? Cuz im strugglin to find em lol

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:14 AM

I just came from the junk yard and scored a set of oem fogs from an SE along with the switch and relay but my question is where are the wires that come from the dash to the switch ?? are they tucked way back in there ?? Cuz im strugglin to find em lol

Any help would be much appreciated!
yup they are tucked in there, u have to feel around for them
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coolsun
yup they are tucked in there, u have to feel around for them
tucked in where?
in the front bumper? or like behind the lights? and is it just a harness or is it taped up? what all do u need to install the fogs as if they were OEM?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
tucked in where?
in the front bumper? or like behind the lights? and is it just a harness or is it taped up? what all do u need to install the fogs as if they were OEM?
they should be tucked/taped by the fenders, the plugs have a brown end. you will need the large fog fuse by the battery, a small one under the dash, and a switch. Rarely some GXE models do not have it prewired
Old 03-18-2010, 06:17 PM

they should be tucked/taped by the fenders, the plugs have a brown end. you will need the large fog fuse by the battery, a small one under the dash, and a switch. Rarely some GXE models do not have it prewired
Mine is prewired at both ends. I just didnt use it when I installed my fogs, they come on when i turn my side markers on.

It's taped on either the mirror switch or cruise control switch harness. Don't remember which. That's if you have it prewired there, iirc some have no prewire at all, some only at the bumper, and some at both. I'm lucky I got both.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

suome pics would come in hella handy. lol
Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fog lights

I have a '94 GXE. I install after market foglights in thirty minutes. First find a SE you will need the switch located left of the steering wheel next to cruise control switch. The wires in your GXE are in the same location as the SE. Go to the engine compartment get the relay from fuse box, it is clearly marked. The wires for fog light are taped to your signal lights, for after market lights cut ends and splice wires together.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 012siuol
I have a '94 GXE. I install after market foglights in thirty minutes. First find a SE you will need the switch located left of the steering wheel next to cruise control switch. The wires in your GXE are in the same location as the SE. Go to the engine compartment get the relay from fuse box, it is clearly marked. The wires for fog light are taped to your signal lights, for after market lights cut ends and splice wires together.
thank you sir!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM

i have a 91 maxima 5spd, i think its an SE but it dont have fog lights....all the wiring and stuff is there but no fog!!!...so im wondering if mine is a GXE or SE, got me thinkin cuz you guys said all maximas are prewired for foglights....and im not sure if the previous owner took them off or it never had any...
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM

if its 5spd its a SE, unless its a 5spd swapped GXE. SE had whiteface gauges and a wing as well.

SE came with foglights, GXE rarely came with foglights, most have the wiring tucked in the bumper, a few dont have the wiring at all
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM

These are kinda expensive but very effective and are great if you want to supplement your headlights without blinding everyone......

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...fog-Lights.htm
Old 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by newbi_maxi
i have a 91 maxima 5spd, i think its an SE but it dont have fog lights....all the wiring and stuff is there but no fog!!!...so im wondering if mine is a GXE or SE, got me thinkin cuz you guys said all maximas are prewired for foglights....and im not sure if the previous owner took them off or it never had any...
If you have a 5-speed, it should be an SE. Very few people have done a 5-speed swap.

The fog lights break easy and are easy to remove (a couple of 10mm bolts and a plug) so the previous owner probably just took them out and tucked the wires.

You might want to look around to see if the wires are still there. You can use the switch and wires for aftermarket or you can track down some factory fog lights.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
If you have a 5-speed, it should be an SE. Very few people have done a 5-speed swap.

The fog lights break easy and are easy to remove (a couple of 10mm bolts and a plug) so the previous owner probably just took them out and tucked the wires.

You might want to look around to see if the wires are still there. You can use the switch and wires for aftermarket or you can track down some factory fog lights.
yea i found the fog wires and everything...i just wasnt sure if it was just factory prewired.....soooo mostly all 5spds are SE???
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by newbi_maxi
yea i found the fog wires and everything...i just wasnt sure if it was just factory prewired.....soooo mostly all 5spds are SE???
less than 1 out of 100 5-speeds are GXE's swapped from auto.

white gauges, non-chrome trim around the mirrors (or black paint chipping off, revealing the chrome), black unpainted mirrors, smoked-looking tails... all of these indicate an SE. Manual trans was an option, only for SE models from the factory.

also, I believe fogs were standard on SE models. probably pulled into a parking spot, hit a curb and busted a lens (or road debris, bused lens). they look awful as heck, so the PO pulled them to look less bad.

Last edited by BenStoked; 04-14-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
less than 1 out of 100 5-speeds are GXE's swapped from auto.

white gauges, non-chrome trim around the mirrors (or black paint chipping off, revealing the chrome), black unpainted mirrors, smoked-looking tails... all of these indicate an SE. Manual trans was an option, only for SE models from the factory.

also, I believe fogs were standard on SE models. probably pulled into a parking spot, hit a curb and busted a lens (or road debris, bused lens). they look awful as heck, so the PO pulled them to look less bad.
thanks!...thats helps a lot

Quick Reply: Fog Light Question