3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

gas leak???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM

gas leak???

ok well recently i found out im leaking gas onto my exhaust...i pulled off injector harnesses to see which one caused leak...found the one and replaced injector...now im stuck tryin to figure out why im still leaking gas from that same injector...swapped new o-rings also...could it be from not being seated properly? any ideas what else might be the issue causing the leaking? is it dangerous to drive in that condition?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:07 PM

I would check the rubber fuel hoses but Im not sure that they are near the exaust.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Very possible the o-rings still aren't sealing, but the injectors you have are a bit more forgiving as far as installation error goes. Have someone turn the key to "ON" to pressurize the system while you look for the source of the leak. If it's not clear where it's coming from, then take the plenum off and try again, you'll have a much better view of the fuel lines and inectors with the plenum removed.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Very possible the o-rings still aren't sealing, but the injectors you have are a bit more forgiving as far as installation error goes. Have someone turn the key to "ON" to pressurize the system while you look for the source of the leak. If it's not clear where it's coming from, then take the plenum off and try again, you'll have a much better view of the fuel lines and inectors with the plenum removed.
take the plenum off and have a person cut the car to "On"? would that cause problems??
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 AM

I think Hectic may be referring to what I know as the upper intake and upper plenum chamber, which is a thin wedge in between the upper intake manifold and the lower plenum chamber. It would only cause problems if you re-installed incorrectly which can be easily avoided with some masking tape and a sharpie. To answer your question directly, no problems would arise with the fuel system "on" and no intake manifold present.

In order of removal (don't mind the heads for your situation):

At this last stage you can clearly see all of the fuel rail. You may need to look into some gaskets since they may flake off while removing the upper intake and upper plenum. Hope my vocab is not out of the ordinary, I am sure someone will correct me if so, but you get the idea fro the pics hopefully. Have fun!

Last edited by ve30max; 02-09-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ve30max
I think Hectic may be referring to what I know as the upper intake and upper plenum chamber, which is a thin wedge in between the upper intake manifold and the lower plenum chamber. It would only cause problems if you re-installed incorrectly which can be easily avoided with some masking tape and a sharpie. To answer your question directly, no problems would arise with the fuel system "on" and no intake manifold present.

In order of removal (don't mind the heads for your situation):

At this last stage you can clearly see all of the fuel rail. You may need to look into some gaskets since they may flake off while removing the upper intake and upper plenum. Hope my vocab is not out of the ordinary, I am sure someone will correct me if so, but you get the idea fro the pics hopefully. Have fun!
from what i could tell with everything on the car and it running that it didnt seem to be coming from the fuel rail...i could be wrong in my assumption but now im wondering the fuel rail will pressurize without the intake parts on and the car not running? plus my leak isnt something i would consider slow...well to put it like this...a full tank of gas lasts me at most 6 days with driving to and from work which is a good 5 miles away both ways lol i just thought i needed a tune up until the guy who did my clutch replacement for me saw the leak lol
Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaFan4140
from what i could tell with everything on the car and it running that it didnt seem to be coming from the fuel rail...i could be wrong in my assumption but now im wondering the fuel rail will pressurize without the intake parts on and the car not running? plus my leak isnt something i would consider slow...well to put it like this...a full tank of gas lasts me at most 6 days with driving to and from work which is a good 5 miles away both ways lol i just thought i needed a tune up until the guy who did my clutch replacement for me saw the leak lol
I am pretty sure the rail will pressurize without the intake manifold or upper plenum on the engine. There isn't any device blocking the fuel path from the pump to the rails that would inhibit the pressure from building either. If you are leaking that much, I would just follow your fuel lines until you find the source, it should smell terrible and look soaked.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ve30max
I am pretty sure the rail will pressurize without the intake manifold or upper plenum on the engine. There isn't any device blocking the fuel path from the pump to the rails that would inhibit the pressure from building either. If you are leaking that much, I would just follow your fuel lines until you find the source, it should smell terrible and look soaked.
thats the thing the leak im watchin drip from the motor itself onto my exhaust its just i cant pinpoint exactly where on the motor...plus in order to pressurize the system i have to keep that fuel pump fuse in...i was instructed to remove it before messing with the fuel system...now if i leave it in and find the source of the leak im going to have to reinstall everything just to depressurize the fuel system right?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

if you pull the fuse, and leave the car off overnight (or throw a thick stack of rags over the IM and "start" the car), it should depressurize fine. one way to test if it is pressurized is pull the fuel filter. also another way to guarantee a depressurized system (just not best).
you really aren't "messing with" the fuel system, atm. "messing with" involves removing or changing the system's components (filter, injector, hose, etc.). as long as the loop is closed, you are fine. when you break the loop, you want to depressurize.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:05 AM

take the plenum off and have a person cut the car to "On"? would that cause problems??
I said turn the key to the "on" position (2 clicks), to pressurize the fuel system so you can look for the leak. Don't try to start the car and there will be no problems. If you did try to start the car you would shoot antifreeze out of a couple tubes and suck a mosquito into a cylinder.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 AM

Blow all the fuel out the fuel rail and pressurize with compressed air in the inlet while plugging the hose leaving the fuel rail.....Spray the entire fuel rail with soapy water and you'll find your leak... my guess a hose......nice paint job on the engine by the way...looks nice!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 AM

Thanks, I have to give credit to James Brown, the powder coat extraordinaire, only guy in town who powder coats. If it wasn't for him, I would have bought a cheap powder kit off of ebay, which may have been neat, but I can't say they would look like that.......
Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 PM

well im having that same problem. its not leaking outside of your motor. your injector wire is reading really high, pull it off and test it, i bet it reads about 12v. its dowsing the cylinder and wont fire. your only running on the back 3. your not running on the front 3 cylinders at all. the drip you see is comming from your exhaust manifold. i bet it smokes a lot to right? its the fuel washing out the cylinder. i have this same problem, i cant figure it out either
Old 02-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Open up the wire harness and look for a short to a 12v source or check it at the subharness plug @ the rear of the head if it's the fwd bank ! If it's the rear bank see whet voltage is leaving the ecu for that cylinder...
Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by robsterzallan`
well im having that same problem. its not leaking outside of your motor. your injector wire is reading really high, pull it off and test it, i bet it reads about 12v. its dowsing the cylinder and wont fire. your only running on the back 3. your not running on the front 3 cylinders at all. the drip you see is comming from your exhaust manifold. i bet it smokes a lot to right? its the fuel washing out the cylinder. i have this same problem, i cant figure it out either
Injector drivers inside ECU fried? BTW, if both injector wires are reading 12V then it is OFF. Drivers inside ECU are pulling them to the ground in order to turn ON. If they're fried you'd constantly see ground on one of the injector contacts.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM

ok here is the update that my mechanic told me...he fixed my injector issue...now the fuel being pushed out my injector is actually just staying in the cylinder then shooting out the exhaust...any ideas?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ok here is the update that my mechanic told me...he fixed my injector issue...now the fuel being pushed out my injector is actually just staying in the cylinder then shooting out the exhaust...any ideas?
got spark?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
got spark?

to be honest i dont even know..all i know is that there are brand new spark plugs and wires and rotor cap in the car as we speak...