3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Terrible fuel mileage..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 11:31 PM
Neice Anne

Terrible fuel mileage..

Does anyone know why my car would rather suddenly lose it's good fuel economy? About 2 tanks ago my car got 320 miles on 17 gallons. Since then, it has been getting worse and worse. Right now my tank is at half and I've driven something like 110 miles. The only difference between when I got that good mileage and my current terrible state is that I've added a CAI. I had heard that CAIs actually improved gas mileage, though. Is there anything else that could be causing this sudden loss? I'm thinking I heard if there is an exhaust leak, you will lose major gas mileage.. I'm not sure if my straight pipe has a leak.. my cousin (a mechanic) said the welding job on it is pretty bad.. but is there anything else I can check? This loss of mileage is costing me big time!

Old 12-05-2001, 11:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Terrible fuel mileage..

I have noticed a decrease in gas mileage. But, I think it's due to the colder weather. It's not nearly as drastic as your decrease in mpg. I have gone from 280 miles a tank in the city to about 270 a tank. Maybe your problem is colder weather combined with something else.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:32 AM

I would say colder weather is the factor. I have pretty bad gas mileage too similar to yours. I'm also thinking of getting a new 02 sensor though, since I never did it for my tune-up.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:56 PM

200 miles per tank ...this stinks. i have an aircone...
Yeah, i forgot about the O2 sensor. I hope thats it.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:57 PM

HOWEVER! instant pleasure is...
driving past your favorite gas station and REGULAR is 98 cents.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:11 PM
Neice Anne

Originally posted by roadiusmaximus

HOWEVER! instant pleasure is...
driving past your favorite gas station and REGULAR is 98 cents.

wow 98? it's 109 here, and I gotta put premium in my car, for $1.29 or more.. still not bad compared to like 1.74 it was a few monthsago

Old 12-09-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Neice Anne

wow 98? it's 109 here, and I gotta put premium in my car, for $1.29 or more.. still not bad compared to like 1.74 it was a few monthsago
mine is 1.15. and that just came down from like 1.25. but it was nice when i just filled my tank for $14, when 20 wouldn't even fill half of it a few months back
Old 12-09-2001, 07:04 PM

Oh ya!

89 cents. You heard it. 89 cents!

I guess it's cheaper to put the gas in stations when they don't have far to hall it (I live in south Texas (i.e. oil refineries nearby))
Old 12-09-2001, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you guys are all lucky

I live in a suburb of chicago, and i'm payin $1.31 p/G. I've got about 88,800 on my '90 max. It gets about 250 miles before the fuel gauge hits empty. I have a rough idle too, any ideas what's goin on. What's causin the problem?
Old 12-09-2001, 09:19 PM

In Atlanta, GA I've seen as low as $0.83... although we always have some of the cheapest gas prices :-) (really helps with the RX-7)

Brian Murray
87 RX-7 Turbo II (w/mods)
89 Maxima GXE (daily)
Old 12-09-2001, 11:07 PM

Have you tried using some throttle body cleaner? It's only a few dollars and you can usually expect at least a modest increase in gas mileage. I saw about a 2mpg better after cleaning mine a few months ago.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:41 AM

Re: Oh ya!

Originally posted by Gamezilla
89 cents. You heard it. 89 cents!

I guess it's cheaper to put the gas in stations when they don't have far to hall it (I live in south Texas (i.e. oil refineries nearby))
you live clost to houston? i wanna race another maxima. no one in houston drives modded maximas
Old 06-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Donating member? what the?!

I'm going to get slammed for this question...

Where is the throttle body....

And if you like, go ahead and trash me for such a question, but have pity on me... I'm new to the Maxima life
Old 06-15-2002, 10:55 PM

why is it that some max's on the board claim that they get close to 500 miles on a full tank
i've noticed that my tank is dropping pretty fast
i put super unleaded in my tank the other day got it a lil past the 3/4 point now in a day of driving i'd say about 40-60 miles its down to the halfway point is this normal?
Old 06-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Livin close to refineries doesn't always make a difference!

I have an apartment in San Jose where there is something like three major refineries in the bay area not less then 50 miles from here. (Correct me if I'm wrong). The gas just for regular is around 1.57. There are a lot of places in the bay where gas is pushing 2.00 a gallon. Supply and demand. You guys in Texas where smart enough to shoot all of your environmentalist and drill holes everywhere. Here in California the environmentalist are worshiped and we are rewarded with exspensive energy prices. (Okay so it might not be that simple).

As for pushing 500 miles on a tank which I posted a few days ago, I have owned the car for over 5 years and that was the first time I got that many miles per tank. Usually 430 is about the norm and it seems like a lot of other people get that to. Driving style has a lot to do with it. If you have a lead foot you pay for it at the pumps all though those of you who are getting less then 300 probably have other issues going on. I do have a jacobs ignition system and I think that probably gives me another 30 of 40 miles a tank but I have no documented data.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Livin close to refineries doesn't always make a difference!

Originally posted by adamis
I have an apartment in San Jose where there is something like three major refineries in the bay area not less then 50 miles from here. (Correct me if I'm wrong). The gas just for regular is around 1.57. There are a lot of places in the bay where gas is pushing 2.00 a gallon. Supply and demand. You guys in Texas where smart enough to shoot all of your environmentalist and drill holes everywhere. Here in California the environmentalist are worshiped and we are rewarded with exspensive energy prices. (Okay so it might not be that simple).

As for pushing 500 miles on a tank which I posted a few days ago, I have owned the car for over 5 years and that was the first time I got that many miles per tank. Usually 430 is about the norm and it seems like a lot of other people get that to. Driving style has a lot to do with it. If you have a lead foot you pay for it at the pumps all though those of you who are getting less then 300 probably have other issues going on. I do have a jacobs ignition system and I think that probably gives me another 30 of 40 miles a tank but I have no documented data.
i kinda have a lead foot......
maybe thats why.....well when i get paid (soo poor sigh) i'll fill it up and record the mileage and see what the deal is.
any lil tips to save gas? i took overdrive off to see how that does....man this sux......all i have is about 52 cents in my bank account and no pocket money.....looks like i'm walking to work for a few days ::cackle::
Old 06-16-2002, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Livin close to refineries doesn't always make a difference!

Originally posted by Freaknificent

maybe thats why.....well when i get paid (soo poor sigh) i'll fill it up and record the mileage and see what the deal is.
any lil tips to save gas? i took overdrive off to see how that does....man this sux......all i have is about 52 cents in my bank account and no pocket money.....looks like i'm walking to work for a few days ::cackle::
52 cent in the bank account??
Old 06-17-2002, 06:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Livin close to refineries doesn't always make a difference!

Originally posted by Terry28

52 cent in the bank account??
if i'm lucky it'll hit 53 if i get interest.....
Old 06-17-2002, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Livin close to refineries doesn't always make a difference!

if i'm lucky it'll hit 53 if i get interest.....
Old 06-17-2002, 08:19 AM

i just bought another maxima. it had a bad shock, so i was driving very carefully. i put about 430 miles on a tank that time. i thought to myself, "this thing gets much better gas mileage than my other maxima" as soon as i got my eibachs and tokicos on. everything was back to normal, about 320 miles to a tank. a lot has to do with the way you drive your car.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:54 AM

Re: Re: Livin close to refineries doesn't always make a difference!

Turing the OD off will make it worse. The car wont shift into fourth and the torque convertor will not lock up.

I've done just about everything to my max to tune it up. I think my tires are affecting the odometer reading. The end of last year I got new tires and I stepped up to 215's, but I did not decrease the side wall hight like I was supposed to. So now with fresh treads (taller tire) and a slighly higher side wall (even taller), the over all diameter of the tire is greater and this will affect the odometer reading (it will now read less), So it doesnt mean that I'm getting worse fuel economy (It might actually be better b/c of the final ratio has changed due to the overall tire increase). Its just damn annoying that I cannot get an accurate reading b/c of this. I have noticed that my full tank of gas is lasting longer, so thats a good sign.