3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

91 Maxima's in the shop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM

91 Maxima's in the shop.

I'm getting all of my hoses changed. I don't have the time, garage, a spare car to do it all myself. I'm getting it done at the dealership.

They promised me that they will get it done Tues. But all the parts didn't came in. So they offered to give me a loaner. I accepted. They asked what car I like to drive. I asked for the GTR since they got one in the showroom. They laughed and didn't think I will make it home to the CPT in it. Long story short. I ended up in a 4-cyl Versa. The car is fast, heck I did 90mph by accident. I slowed it down.

Wed: Apparently the car was just about done until they discovered another part dry rotted. So I get to keep the paid rental:

Anyways:
1. have you ever replace all the hoses at once?
2. How long and much did it take to complete it.
3. How much effort?
4. At work my coworkers think there is a belt that keeps the gears spinning in the auto-tranny, I've check the FSM and didn't see such in the VG models. Is there such a thing or what is it called if there isn't one?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 PM

The versa is fast
Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
Anyways:
1. have you ever replace all the hoses at once?
2. How long and much did it take to complete it.
3. How much effort?
4. At work my coworkers think there is a belt that keeps the gears spinning in the auto-tranny, I've check the FSM and didn't see such in the VG models. Is there such a thing or what is it called if there isn't one?
1 - yes
2 - couple hours, @ $100
3 - not that difficult
4 - a belt inside the tranny? your co workers are high
Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Way out West

Are you talking about vacuum hoses or coolant hoses?

You think the Versa is fast? I think you need to test drive a few cars. I mean at least an STi or a Mustang GT. Salesman should at least think you are interested and not treat you like crap. I wanted to test out a used CTS-V (which I can afford) and the salesman was an A-hole.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
The versa is fast

For a 4-cylinder, it is fast. This is my first time driving a 4-cyl car. I admit it has trouble climbing hills, but from the crosswalk, when the light is green, the other cars are in my rear view mirror.

...That and because they have slow reaction time. (I don't peel out and I check the intersection for red light runners before accelerating.)

Last edited by Darkwing48; 06-03-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spell check for infinitiblast :)
Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48

For a 4-cyl. This it my first time driving a 4-cyl car. I admit it has trouble climbing hills, but from the crosswalk, when the light is green, the other cars are in my rear view mirror.

...That and because they have slow reaction time. (I don't peel out and I check the intersection)
Old 06-03-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Are you talking about vacuum hoses or coolant hoses?

You think the Versa is fast? I think you need to test drive a few cars. I mean at least an STi or a Mustang GT. Salesman should at least think you are interested and not treat you like crap. I wanted to test out a used CTS-V (which I can afford) and the salesman was an A-hole.
They are doing Coolant hoses. But I asked them to do "all hoses." My car threw a 45 code and I thought I had an injector leak. They found out that that one of my fuel hoses slipped and gotten shredded. (Probably AAMCO's fault when I rebuilt the tranny.) I tell you which one later. I forgot, its a hose to the fuel ???.

Anyways I needed my radiator hose replaced, so I decided to let them replace "all" hoses. I hopefully will get my baby back, and the docs of the replaced hoses.

I driven a (99-200?) Galant and an last Gen Altima with its CVT tranny. The Versa feels fast because its the lightest car I driven. It top end is a slow though. I going to drive my coworker Tesla Roadster sometime. He offered in exchange for lunch to those coworkers who are interested.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Belt in a transmission????? The CVT transmission has something LIKE a belt. But thats about it.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Carlos@Flawless Wheels
Belt in a transmission????? The CVT transmission has something LIKE a belt. But thats about it.
i've heard of a/t's with belts in them that connects the output to the final drive in fwd cars, or something of that nature. iirc it's not a normal rubber belt tho... like some sort of metal belt or something.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 AM

there is/were belt driven cvt transmissions...hell we have one in our mechanical engineering facility to just show us (students) how the heck thing works (cant handle too much torque).....there r rumors that there r going be strong belt driven CVT transmissions in future.....

i duno why they dont consider PST transmissions instead of CVTs

Last edited by burhan92SE; 06-04-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Maybe talking about the timing belt?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i've heard of a/t's with belts in them that connects the output to the final drive in fwd cars, or something of that nature. iirc it's not a normal rubber belt tho... like some sort of metal belt or something.

Actually, the belt your talking about is actually a chain... and its to hook up the diff to the transaxle. Definately not rubber.

As for the CVT, they are junk! They hold absolutely no power. If they were to find a way to make them stronger, more than likely they would be the dream transmission. Peak power at all times!! I don't think Its going to happen anytime soon though.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos@Flawless Wheels
Actually, the belt your talking about is actually a chain... and its to hook up the diff to the transaxle. Definately not rubber.

As for the CVT, they are junk! They hold absolutely no power. If they were to find a way to make them stronger, more than likely they would be the dream transmission. Peak power at all times!! I don't think Its going to happen anytime soon though.
CVTs r not junk...they r one of the best tranmissions for gas savings and smooth driving...ofcourse, in future, its gonna get better...but they r pretty strong trans.....otherwise nissan wouldnt use it in new MAXIMA for that kind of power....