3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

AE Door Sills in a 3rd Gen & new shift boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 PM

AE Door Sills in a 3rd Gen & new shift boots

Along with my motor swap in progress right now, im doing some upgrades throughout the interior, suspension etc

Dont know if this has been done before, im betting not, ive been roaming the org here since 2000 and havent seen any yet

5th gen Anniversary door sills - bought a used set from a member and started getting busy Excuse any dirtyness, flaws, etc with my interior as im still in the work-in-progress stage

Also got new shift/ebrake boots and new armrest cover, black leather with silver/light gray stiching...

Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM

cont..........

I got new dash panels (gauge/clock surround, need ashtray and cup holder and center radio piece still) since im thinking of going to the original black and ditching the wood for now, but will probably still keep the wood-ed peices

Also swapped all pillars to black plastic and painted the sunroof trim with SEM fabric black paint

Im undecided to paint the entire headliner black or leave the 2-tone thing going on there (may paint the oh-sht handles, dont know yet) Im leaning toward leaving the headliner alone, its more time that i should keep devoted to the motor, plus i think the light gray/black goes with the boot leather/stiching contrast
Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

looks nice. really like the door sills. didn't even think to think they would fit. any modification needed?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Looks sick.
Did you get the armrest cover from RedLineGoods?
I got both of my boots (same colors as yours) from them, but couldnt see any option to get the armrest...I got my stuff maybe .... 2 months ago? Maybe its been added since...

I made a post yesterday and updated it 10 mins ago of my blacked out interior, including the roof, visors, etc.
It looks ok, but should definately paint the handles, clips, interior light brackets, etc a dark grey for a 2 tone effect.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Cool, I've got the same shift **** and boot setup but like said above I never even thought the sills would fit. Watch out on your shift ****, mine is already flaking/peeling/otherwise crapping out after only a year or two. I've also got the AE pedals but my darn brake pedal won't stay on for the life of me
Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 AM

Props on the Stanza peice
Old 05-11-2009, 01:51 AM

also want to know about the sills, any modification? Looks great.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 AM

those door sills look awesome

and where did u get the wood paneling ive been thinking about getting something like that

i wouldn't change the headliner though especially if ur getting rid of the wood and going to black
Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 AM

All leather boots/covers are from Redline, i am the reason the armrest cover is now available I sent in my actual armrest for them to fab up a cover since my stock cover was ripped/worn... still have to send them my pics so they can put it up on their site

James yes my AE **** is peeling too so im looking for a new one, and the pedals i still need... and a new gauge cluster since my car is up on jacks and is somehow doing 165 MPH

The door sills, thanks all for the thumbs up - i took the metal plate off of the 5th gen plastic and put it right on top of mine. You have to make cuts in the 3rd gen sills to affix the metal plate on there and also change the clips that hold the door sills to the car body so they are still removable... i can post pics of how i did this later when im not at work
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
The door sills, thanks all for the thumbs up - i took the metal plate off of the 5th gen plastic and put it right on top of mine. You have to make cuts in the 3rd gen sills to affix the metal plate on there and also change the clips that hold the door sills to the car body so they are still removable... i can post pics of how i did this later when im not at work
We'd all appreciate that instructional info!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 AM

man thats is sick!!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM

very nice
Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Props on the Stanza peice
What Stanza piece are we talking about here
Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Dat issshhhh it HAWTTT
Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
STFU n00b!

Looks good! I might still be driving mine if my interior looked that good!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by All*Pro
What Stanza piece are we talking about here
The orange ignition ring. I'm not 100% sure it's from a Stanza, but that's what I got mine from. Could possibly be aftermarket, but the plastic is actually dyed orange, not painted or anything. Seems OEM quality. They are not easy to find though, and every other Stanza I've checked since finding mine, has had the basic clear one. So they probably are knock offs, just good quality knock offs..

Last edited by Hectic; 05-11-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 PM

You guys know you can just change the bulb if you wanna change the color of the ignition barrell ring, right? I changed mine to blue, its in my photo album. Cost me about $1.50 and 3 minutes of my time
Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Looks good! I might still be driving mine if my interior looked that good!
thanks matt, but wouldnt one with a finely tuned suspension excuse a non-perfect interior?

Originally Posted by Hectic
The orange ignition ring. I'm not 100% sure it's from a Stanza, but that's what I got mine from. Could possibly be aftermarket, but the plastic is actually dyed orange, not painted or anything. Seems OEM quality. His is the only one besides mine that I have ever seen.

LOL no my ring is just faded a little, at night it still lights up a solid green
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

dude it looks awesome, I'm currently on the hunt for an AE **** for my 4th gen since the 3rd is auto...not too bad new from courtesy, I think its like 40 bucks. I've been wanting to do the door sills for a while but never really got a deal on them so meh.

Me likes!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Black Lion

Im trying to find theses AE door sills as well. Anyone know where I can find them?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Black Lion

Never mind.. Courtesy Nissan has them, anyone mod these to fit a 4th Gen?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 PM

looks like youll have to modify them the same way as i did mine as the 3rd gen & 4th gen door sill plates are similar in design - the sill piece hops up and over and touches the carpet inside whereas the 5th gen piece stops at the weatherstripping. Basically, theyre not "plug-and-play", you have to separate the metal plate off the 5th gen piece and affix it to your stock 4th gen (or 3rd gen) piece

ill find my pics of how i did it
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Black Lion

looks like youll have to modify them the same way as i did mine as the 3rd gen & 4th gen door sill plates are similar in design - the sill piece hops up and over and touches the carpet inside whereas the 5th gen piece stops at the weatherstripping. Basically, theyre not "plug-and-play", you have to separate the metal plate off the 5th gen piece and affix it to your stock 4th gen (or 3rd gen) piece

Yeah cool post back once you get some pics. I already ordered the sills so once I get them I'll have a better idea of what I have to do to make them work. I have been looking for some sills for the 4th Gen like crazy with no luck so this was my only option. And besides these sills are the best I have seen for the Max to date IMO.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Ohhhh i love it soooo much:hmmru n:
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Black Lion

Ever come up with those pics. I have my 5th Gen AE door sills and Im ready to mod this thing to fit my 4th gen sills. You said you laid the metal plate on top of your existing sills , Im wondering if I should cut and shave my sills down in the center to get the metal plate flush with the sill.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Alright heres my so-called write up -

Flip over the 5th gen sills, and youll see how the metal "MAXIMA" plate is affixed to the plastic sill itself - pry all those tabs straight up in order to remove the metal plate... small flathead screwdriver will do it, then i took regular pliers and made sure the tabs were perpendicular with the plate

Lay the metal plate on top of the 3rd gen plastic door sill, eyeball it and center it side-to-side. Youll see that theres several blisters on the flat part of 3rd gen piece, so i positioned the metal plate so that the front edge covers those blisters, dont put the metal plate butt up against the back "wall" there (where the plastic humps up and over), but do put it close

Now is where you have to grow ***** aka the point of no return... cutting. I practiced first on a crappy spare 3rd gen door sill i had laying around, but just take your time aligning/marking/cutting... the whole measure twice cut once applies here. Mark where the metal tabs touch the plastic 3rd gen piece, and this is where youll make the cuts to push those metal tabs through, much like how it was in the 5th gen plastic piece. How to cut? i used a dremel with a cut off wheel (in the pic) I dont know any other way you can do this if you dont have one but the dremel seems to do it the best. You can see throughout these pics how long i made the cuts, from 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Lean toward making the cuts inboard of the door sill, you can always go back and widen the cuts out more if the metal tabs dont sit comfortably in there. Basically you dont want to see cut remnants in the finished product, the edge of the metal plate will just about cover the cuts when pressed in good enough

As you cut, you can test fit along the way and push in the metal tabs... cut a pair/test, cut the next pair/test etc
- - -
- - - etc...

Finish all your cuts and push the metal tabs through and see how you like it (dont bend the tabs to affix it yet)... you can go back and lengthen the cuts in case you want to adjust the metal plate side-to-side better

Now, how do you install the door sill back on the car with the screw holes covered by your shiny "MAXIMA" metal plate? Stay tuned for the next post in this exciting series...
Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM

You can do this next step either before or after you cut the slots for the metal plate...

One of the first things i thought of when i started to work on this was how to be able to affix and remove the door sills back on/off the car. After going through a couple bogus ideas, i came to this one: using snap clips from the interior panels. I had spare panels laying around (C pillars, B pillars etc) so i was able to steal the clips from them, you can probably snag them from a junk yard if you dont have these - youll need a total of 12 (4 on each front sill and 2 on each rear)

Here they are, pry/slide them out

And you have to widen them a bit for a nice tight interference fit

Theyll be inserted here, but you have to drill out the holes a little bit to get them to fit... youll see when you play with it. Dont enlarge the holes too much because you want these clips to fit tight in there.

Also, trim down the shoulder of the hole a little bit so the clips will sit lower and poke through the bottom of the door sill further... about this far at least:

To make sure the clips stay in there, i smothered the holes with epoxy then pushed the clips down firm

Let epoxy/glue dry then reinstall the metal MAXIMA plate and push it down tight as you bend the metal tabs underneath to secure it in place (like it was on the 5th gen piece)

They can now be installed on the car, just lay it atop the square holes and push in and they should snap into place. To remove them, just slip a flathead screwdriver underneath and gently pry up (Theyre removed from the 5th gen the same exact way, except they use plastic clips whereas these are nice hefty metal clips borrowed from the luxurious 3rd gen interior

I thought about hogging out the 3rd gen plastic to make the metal plate sit flush with the surface but it would be MAJOR time consuming and wouldnt come out nice using common hand/power tools. Youre not going to get it laser straight and flush like the OEM 5th gen piece unless you go crazy with CNC-ing or some other way. The way i did it here came out pretty good, as long as you push the plate down tight as you bend the tab underneath, they sit nice and clean

Besides, your passengers are going to say "nice door sills, are those stock?" as theyre getting in/out of your car, not as they crouch down with a magnifying glass to look at it
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 PM

more detailed pic of what to do to the clips -

widen and spread out the "ears" on top
Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Black Lion

DAMN thats a good write up and great innovation on your part. I'm gona tackle mine tomorrow. I'll post back with pics.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

You are my hero! I demand an AE shift **** and AE door sills for all three of my maxipads
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Black Lion

[QUOTE=Maximan190;7024255]Along with my motor swap in progress right now, im doing some upgrades throughout the interior, suspension etc

Dont know if this has been done before, im betting not, ive been roaming the org here since 2000 and havent seen any yet

5th gen Anniversary door sills - bought a used set from a member and started getting busy Excuse any dirtyness, flaws, etc with my interior as im still in the work-in-progress stage

So I installed mine today and install on a 4th gen is a breeze. I just installed the MAXIMA plate like you did. And you were right.. they sit nice enough so going thru the hassle of getting them flush is a waste of time.http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1244430034
thats the before heres the after http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1244397328 One problem the rear kick plates the 4th gen measure 13" and the 5th gen AE sill rears are 16" across result http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1244397588 as you can see it is to big so I cant use it. Im going to have to return the rears now.

Maximan what does your rear sills measure? the AE sills you have in the pic look a bit thicker also than the ones I have.

Last edited by maxprivate; 06-07-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Black Lion

5th gen AE sills in a 4th gen

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1244398094

Heres another pic of the front AE sill installed.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM

doh! didnt know the 4th gen sills were that short in the rear... on the 3rd gen the metal AE plate JUST makes it onto the plastic sill at the 2 frontmost corners, i had to take extra care centering the rear plates

You can try cutting a bit off both ends of the rear plates with maybe tin snips or side cutters or a really steady hand with a dremel... Then grab the edge/lip that you just cut with a suitable tool and bend it under to give it a rolled edge like the rest of the metal plate has. Problem is you cant return it if you try it and F it up.. eh
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Black Lion

doh! didnt know the 4th gen sills were that short in the rear... on the 3rd gen the metal AE plate JUST makes it onto the plastic sill at the 2 frontmost corners, i had to take extra care centering the rear plates

You can try cutting a bit off both ends of the rear plates with maybe tin snips or side cutters or a really steady hand with a dremel... Then grab the edge/lip that you just cut with a suitable tool and bend it under to give it a rolled edge like the rest of the metal plate has. Problem is you cant return it if you try it and F it up.. eh
Yeah I was thinking about cutting it but making the ends smooth and rolled would be tuff. I would probably F it up. But I may have to give it a shot since the 4th gen sill are shorter. I guess I have asked the dimensions first before I purchased heh.. oh well im happy with the front ones.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Black Lion

hey bro.. said WTF and took your advise.. I cut the ends with a dremel and rounded the cut ends with a sanding wheel and Im quite happy with the results. I'll post some pics when Im done with both sides. Thanks for your write up it really guided me big time. Install is a lot easier on a 4th gen since no extra mounting hardware is needed. All I did was install the metal plate and snap the sill back in place with existing hardware. Rears need more work of course. But Im happy I got them to work.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Black Lion

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1244602688 Well with some cutting and grinding the results are flawless.. thats for your write up Maximan!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 PM

cool good to see it worked... did you soften up the cut edges (smooth/roll etc)
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Black Lion

cool good to see it worked... did you soften up the cut edges (smooth/roll etc)
I just used the Dremel with a light grit sanding wheel and rounded the ends off. I didn't even attempt to roll under in the corners really not needed since you cant even see it.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Donating i30 Owner

imgs. there all the same these are the two i use most so they woudl have most scuffs... i guess?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Man that looks nice! Great job!!!

Quick Reply: AE Door Sills in a 3rd Gen & new shift boots