3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Keep blowing engine control fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 AM

Keep blowing engine control fuse.

I was just driving down the road when my car died. After looking around and checking things out the engine control fuse in the fuse pannel was blown it had a 20a in it which was suppose to be 10a. I switched it out and the car won't turn over if there is a fuse in there. The fuse that keeps blowing as soon as I put one in is the FL25a I belive what its called under the hood. Now if I leave the engine control fuse out the one in the car. The fuse under hood doesn't blow. I was driving before with this fuse blown so I know I got a nasty short somewhere. Does anyone have a clue how these are tied together. Basically the ecu is not getting power. I hate wiring and stupid people before me putting fuse twice the size it suppose to be.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 AM

You'll have to check the wiring deeper, sounds like someone has installed something else off that power (hence the bigger fuse), and its shorted out/lost ground somewhere, blowing the fuses. I found this in my last car, and I'll admit, Ive used the trick temporarily myself (wired CD player to hazard lights, and replaced hazard lights fuse with 20A). Its a frustrating ******* of a problem to find a fix.

Is it only the ECU not getting power? or other stuff gone with it?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:17 PM

let me rephase that everything works except fuel pump and not getting spark. Im just going to have to go to town on the wiring in the whole car.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
mod or sell?

grab a wiring diagram and look at what is on the circuit that that fuse is on. unplug the items one at a time until the fuse doesn't blow again. or unplug everything and plug them back in one at a time until the fuse blows
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Before you start digging into your wiring - do you have an aftermarket y-pipe? I had an early model WSP pipe several years back that had the 02 sensor positioned poorly and due to engine vibrations, etc. it caused the 02 sensor wires to chafe, and eventually touch and short.

My car kept blowing the ENG CONT fuse in the dash, and the car wouldn't start until I put a new fuse in it. It got so bad that I had to carry a box of fuses around with me so I wouldn't get stranded. This plagued me for MONTHS then I finally noticed the 02 sensor wires were frayed. I had complained to WSP and they made me a new y-pipe and replaced the 02 sensor and all has been well ever since.

Anyway, even if you don't have an aftermarket y-pipe, check your 02 sensor wires. If they fray and touch it causes your symptoms.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I agree with James....he's on the right track. You should also check a couple of other areas too. First, O2 (this harness shorting has affected me at least once as well). Also, Check your MAF, as a short there will definately blow your under hood fuse. I would also check the rear engine harness, several of those wires run around sources of heat, especially on the driver's side. I cannot recall right off hand if the injectors run through the engine cont fuse or not.

I guess for me, the O2 makes the most sense given you could have easily snagged it on something underneath the car or it become frayed and shorted. I also wonder if you've done any recent work to the car and if something got damaged, wire smashed, or dropped near a source of heat, etc.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you get it fixed?

I've been having similar problems with my eng cont fuse blowing from inside the car, under dash. It usually blows when I'm driving and I have to replace the fuse the next time I go to start it. Trying to track down the problem. Just wondering if you had any luck with yours
thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

any update on this, experiencing the same problem.. everytime i start the car it will start and drive fine. then whenever i see the security light flash on my dash i know i blew the 15 amp ECM 1 fuse. i ahve to replace it before the car will start again. any help?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by pauliemax
any update on this, experiencing the same problem.. everytime i start the car it will start and drive fine. then whenever i see the security light flash on my dash i know i blew the 15 amp ECM 1 fuse. i ahve to replace it before the car will start again. any help?
You should start in the same places suggested by other people and go from there.