3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bose Amp By-Pass

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Bose Amp By-Pass

Well my Bose HU took a crap on me (no surprise there) So i jumped on the trust maxima.org to see what i could find and i seen someone said that if you put in a aftermarket HU you need to also change out the speaker because of the amp's. Well i dindnt take this verry lightly and decided to go about this myself like usual. A speaker is a speaker is a speaker no matter what you do to it so i just wired my HU rite to the speakers and they work wounderfull. So here is my low budget Bose fix.

----FRONT-----
First remove the speaker assembly from the car.
Now remove the 12 bolts honding the encloseure together.(shown in green)

Remove the cotton and the 4 bolts holding the amp on.

Cut all the wires as close as you can to the connector.Then remove all the wires except the green,red,yellow,and purple

Remove the amp and flip the enclosure over and remove the 3 bolts that hold the speaker and turn the speaker so the red and green wires are closer to the yellow and purple then re-install the 3 bolts.
Attach the red to yellow and the purple to green.

Reinstall the cotton and put it all back together.
Info-Both front speakers have the y,g,r,p color wires so left and right is exactly the same.

----Rear----
Hop in the trunk
Cut the 4 wires going into the amp
Cut the wires from the amp to the speaker as close to the amp as possible
Attach the wires from the speaker to the two smaller wires that went into the amp.
Disregard the two bigger ones.
I dont remember the colors of the rears but i will get them asap

---Final Step---
Enjoy music again

Here is the Proof (sorry for the music)
Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by AdamKashner
I seen someone said that if you put in a aftermarket HU you need to also change out the speaker because of the amp's. Well i dindnt take this verry lightly and decided to go about this myself like usual. A speaker is a speaker is a speaker no matter what you do to it so i just wired my HU rite to the speakers and they work wounderfull. So here is my low budget Bose fix.
It's the impedance you have to worry about. You have 1 ohm loads connected to a 4 ohm source. Damage can occur to the head unit now, enjoy.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Hectic
It's the impedance you have to worry about. You have 1 ohm loads connected to a 4 ohm source. Damage can occur to the head unit now, enjoy.
I've used pioneer head units on bose speakers with no issues for many years.. but i never bypassed the amps..(the key maybe?)
Old 01-24-2009, 06:13 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Greeny
I've used pioneer head units on bose speakers with no issues for many years.. but i never bypassed the amps..(the key maybe?)
the amps themselves are designed to run on what is essentially a line level input IIRC.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:20 PM

If anything it will blow the speakers not the HU. 4ohm is running through it not 1. The speakers are ment to run 1ohm connected to the amp with no amp it doesn't matter. Amplified 1ohm is not much different then non amplified 4ohm.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:20 PM

do you know for a fact or is this just your theory...
Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I haven't seen anybody here (not since i have been here, anyway) do this mod, but it is standing electronics knowledge that running a speaker with the wrong impedance can destroy an amp. I have done it with a home audio stereo, and about two or three speakers (I can't remember, it was a few years ago) ran in parallel (dropping resistance to about 1 or so). fawking stereo started smoking, and blew some fuses. tried replacing the fuses, but it took a couple of other pieces out with them. it also fried the speakers.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

If anything it will blow the speakers not the HU. 4ohm is running through it not 1. The speakers are ment to run 1ohm connected to the amp with no amp it doesn't matter. Amplified 1ohm is not much different then non amplified 4ohm.
okay, I dont mean to flame, but nearly every head unit in the past, oh, i don't know, 100 years, or so? has had an amplifier in it. so the speakers are hooked to an amplifier, just not an external one.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
okay, I dont mean to flame, but nearly every head unit in the past, oh, i don't know, 100 years, or so? has had an amplifier in it. so the speakers are hooked to an amplifier, just not an external one.
Well I will let you know. This is just a temporary fix until i get my tax money to buy a whole system.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:19 PM

If a 1 ohm speaker is hooked up to a 4 ohm amp, the speaker is operating a lot less efficiently and putting stress on the amp and can cause premature damage to the amplifier. Either way it will technically work (at least for the short term), but what you want to do is match impedance whenever possible. You'll get much more accurate and efficient performance out of your equipment. Replace those Bose speakers, they are designed specifically for those independent amps when connected to the non-amplified stock HU.

A little bit of both
Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 AM

If a 1 ohm speaker is hooked up to a 4 ohm amp, the speaker is operating a lot less efficiently and putting stress on the amp and can cause premature damage to the amplifier. Either way it will technically work (at least for the short term), but what you want to do is match impedance whenever possible. You'll get much more accurate and efficient performance out of your equipment. Replace those Bose speakers, they are designed specifically for those independent amps when connected to the non-amplified stock HU.

A little bit of both
ok thank you
Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Upgraded / replaced HU's

Yea my stock radio went and i ended up bringing it to the now Closing Circuit city for them to put in the Sony X-Plod unit. Works fine just sucks i can only put it on volume 3 before my ears bleed, Even with the pre-amp and equalizer turned all the way down.

But yeah i've had it for 2 years now and no problems, except i think my passenger rear speakers is getting weak
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 AM

----Rear----
Hop in the trunk
Cut the 4 wires going into the amp
Cut the wires from the amp to the speaker as close to the amp as possible
Attach the wires from the speaker to the two smaller wires that went into the amp.
Disregard the two bigger ones.
I dont remember the colors of the rears but i will get them asap

---Final Step---
Enjoy music again

Here is the Proof (sorry for the music)[/quote]

any pictures of the rear?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM

i did almost the same thing but i was 2 scare 2 cut anything so i just ran new wire directly 2 the speakers but someone stole my hu the next day. The factory hu didn't work when i got the car so i never got a chance to hear what it sounds like, so did yours sound any different after the swap??
Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 AM

just did my front speakers today but still no sound...
Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 AM

nevermind i found out the reason which could be the reason of most of them, why the speakers wont play u do have to bypass the amp but ill post a pic of it later...
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM

It does work...but I think that if you turn it all the way up and give it too much power the speaker will blow. Good luck.