3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

AC tensioner pulley help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM

AC tensioner pulley help

My AC tensioner idler pulley self-destructed last week. I picked up a replacement from Autozone and I have a problem.

In this pic you can see the inner part of the bearing from the old pulley is stuck on the shaft so I can't put the new one on.

These are the old and new pulleys:

So is this going to work or am I going to have to order the whole OEM assembly? Also I don't understand how to move the tensioner. I turned the long screw but it only moves itself up and down. Sorry for being such a noob, I'm just trying to save some $.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by nismax1994
My AC tensioner idler pulley self-destructed last week. I picked up a replacement from Autozone and I have a problem.

In this pic you can see the inner part of the bearing from the old pulley is stuck on the shaft so I can't put the new one on.

These are the old and new pulleys:

So is this going to work or am I going to have to order the whole OEM assembly? Also I don't understand how to move the tensioner. I turned the long screw but it only moves itself up and down. Sorry for being such a noob, I'm just trying to save some $.
all it's supposed to do is move up and down. that's what raises or lowers the tension on the belt (up = tighter, down = looser). Or do you mean the screw itself moves up and down but the tensioner is stuck?

Anyhow, you can try and remove the tensioner assembly and pull the sleeve of the bearing off with vicegrips or something. Having it off the car should make it alot easier to get more leverage than trying to mess with it in a cramped area. If not, I have a pulley assembly with a noisy bearing on it that i can try and pull off, and if that works, you can buy that and put your new pulley on it. Luckily for you it's almost winter, so you can leave the a/c belt off until you get this taken care of. I'll try and take mine apart today and see if it comes off ok.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ummm...if i remember it correctly there's a bolt/nut you have to unbolt on the face of the pulley and then you can turn the adjusting bolt.

i'm pretty sure it's a nut and it's a bolt/stud that holds the pulley on. So you basically need that piece. the long bolt behind it is screwed into this stud. so yeah from the looks of it that piece broke off.

if caped doesn't have one i might.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I guess the sliding tightener bolt is structurally like in a 2k2 alt tensioner, see below (just replaced the bearing, 10$):

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/23
Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Wiking
Correct me if I am wrong but I guess the sliding tightener bolt is structurally like in a 2k2 alt tensioner, see below (just replaced the bearing, 10$):

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/23
he can't just replace the bearing...
look at your pic...there's a nut that in the center of the bearing that holds the pulley tight in the adjusted spot...well that's broke. in your 2nd pic the back side where it shows what it looks like a square bolt...he basically needs THAT piece.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:45 PM

DanNy, I have the bolt that goes into the face of the pulley (the bolt that goes into the bolt) off. But alas, the old pulley piece remains attached.

Caped: the adjuster bolt moves freely, but the tensioner assembly stays put.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

DanNy, I have the bolt that goes into the face of the pulley (the bolt that goes into the bolt) off. But alas, the old pulley piece remains attached.

have you tried violence/BFH on it yet?

either way you wana just get the one i have and put your new pulley on it?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

got access to a press or even a small gear puller?
i know they rent gear pullers at pep girls.

BUT if it's really siezed on there it might be too messed up to put the new pulley on....just becareful with it.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM

Got it! The bearing piece has one thread on the back going onto the other piece. The tensioner started moving while I was cranking on the thing. So its all good, thanks!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

woohoo! nice job
Old 12-04-2008, 12:41 PM

While i may be hijacking, i'm in the same area.

wish i woulda gotten to you sooner. as I was dremeling the original bearring off (was the only way) I stuck a screwdriver in it and pulled and the whole thing came off. good news is i didn't have to finish dremelling, bad news is I have to get the thing back in there with 1 hand pretty much.

Did you take off the wheel or slip it on through the bottom? problem with me is the frame pretty much covers where it goes on but taking off the wheel WOULD give me 2 hands to work with.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mysticcal
While i may be hijacking, i'm in the same area.

wish i woulda gotten to you sooner. as I was dremeling the original bearring off (was the only way) I stuck a screwdriver in it and pulled and the whole thing came off. good news is i didn't have to finish dremelling, bad news is I have to get the thing back in there with 1 hand pretty much.

Did you take off the wheel or slip it on through the bottom? problem with me is the frame pretty much covers where it goes on but taking off the wheel WOULD give me 2 hands to work with.
I worked from above and put my right hand behind the bracket to keep from shoving the bolt through while I slid the pulley on with my left hand.