3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Where to buy the fidanza flywheel for the low

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 AM
1993 SE

Where to buy the fidanza flywheel for the low

I need to find the lowest price I can on this as Im buying it for my car for early Christmas.! Who knows where to go to buy cheap?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by swowlinc
I need to find the lowest price I can on this as Im buying it for my car for early Christmas.! Who knows where to go to buy cheap?
Purchased mine sometime ago from Ultrarev.com. Some prices are competitive and the Maxima Exedy keyvalue clutch kit is the cheapest I've seen
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
Purchased mine sometime ago from Ultrarev.com. Some prices are competitive and the Maxima Exedy keyvalue clutch kit is the cheapest I've seen
cool thx I guess $359 aint bad
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sure wish I still sold these.

BTW. Don't buy anythng named key value kit for the clutch parts. It's key value is that it's crap
Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Sure wish I still sold these.

BTW. Don't buy anythng named key value kit for the clutch parts. It's key value is that it's crap
You sold fidanza flywheels?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yup for a time I did. See how that reply is clear, concise and to the point? It's a dying skill.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yup for a time I did. See how that reply is clear, concise and to the point? It's a dying skill.
lol, yeah i see that.

I just never knew you sold flywheels, i thought you only sold bbk parts.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by Greeny
I just never knew you sold flywheels, i thought you only sold bbk parts.
Yeah true story, I remember when he used to sell the light weight flywheels.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
1993 SE

maybe i need to wait till my clutch goes before i buy one, hopefully by then I will find a good combo deal. this is my favorite mod for a 5 speed so im kinda rushing it!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Yeah, it makes more sense to put the clutch and flywheel in at the same time.

I am probably in the minority, but I preferred the stock flywheel over the Fidanza. I still have the Fidanza in, but when I do my next clutch replacement I'm considering going back to the stock flywheel. Why? Most of it is driver feel. In particular I preferred how the car launched with the stock flywheel. I miss the torque. Shifting seems smoother overall with the lightened flywheel, but given the choice I still prefer stock. If I could do it again, I'd skip the flywheel and use my funds on a BBK or some KONI's.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by hadman

I am probably in the minority, but I preferred the stock flywheel over the Fidanza. I still have the Fidanza in, but when I do my next clutch replacement I'm considering going back to the stock flywheel. Why? Most of it is driver feel. In particular I preferred how the car launched with the stock flywheel. I miss the torque. Shifting seems smoother overall with the lightened flywheel, but given the choice I still prefer stock. If I could do it again, I'd skip the flywheel and use my funds on a BBK or some KONI's.
Yep +1 daily driver+fidanza= no fun for the driver
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by hadman

Could you elaborate on what it feels like vs. stock? I have a fidanza in my room ready to go in but you're making me think twice. I've read up and heard nothing but good things for the most part, what is your experience with it? If this is the case, maybe I would be able to "source" a fidanza for the op on the low.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Could you elaborate on what it feels like vs. stock? I have a fidanza in my room ready to go in but you're making me think twice. I've read up and heard nothing but good things for the most part, what is your experience with it? If this is the case, maybe I would be able to "source" a fidanza for the op on the low.
hadman doesnt post often, so here it goes...

the stock flywheel is heavy as hell, so when you "gas up" to slip the clutch for take off, a stock flywheel will store up the engines energy in the weight of the flywheel in a sense, making the take off smooth, where a lighter flywheel cannot do this as much(duh! it's lighter!) so the take off will be much more jerky/less controlled.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
I can has?

the stock flywheel is heavy as hell, so when you "gas up" to slip the clutch for take off, a stock flywheel will store up the engines energy in the weight of the flywheel in a sense, making the take off smooth, where a lighter flywheel cannot do this as much(duh! it's lighter!) so the take off will be much more jerky/less controlled.
Oh ok, yeah I've heard that before. I remember harassing this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunxL-mHI_A in a thread a while back because of the rough 1-2 shift before I knew he had a fidanza. Guess it wouldn't bother me much, I imagine it would be worth it at higher rpm's/mid-band acceleration, make the car kind of feel "lighter on it's feet"? Wish I could test these things on another car before I put them in, guess I could always swap back to the OE flywheel.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM
No turbo, no care!

In addition, the stock flywheel will take a lot more abuse simply due to a larger thermal mass. If you have an aggressive clutch, a lot more power than stock, and like to dump the clutch at 6k (like me) the aluminum flywheel may warp.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Oh ok, yeah I've heard that before. I remember harassing this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunxL-mHI_A in a thread a while back because of the rough 1-2 shift before I knew he had a fidanza. Guess it wouldn't bother me much, I imagine it would be worth it at higher rpm's/mid-band acceleration, make the car kind of feel "lighter on it's feet"? Wish I could test these things on another car before I put them in, guess I could always swap back to the OE flywheel.

lol, some of you guys are soo lazy slap that biatch in there mang It's just a simple tranny drop-n-swap in the end.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Well like I said, it's mostly driver preference, but you actually do lose some real world torque when the numbers are crunched. My butt dyno feels the difference.
Basically with the lightened flywheel it has less energy transfer to the crank.
A flywheel with more weight behind it gives it more torque and power transfer from the initial launch.
That said, once in motion, a lightened flywheel transfers energy quicker, which translates to faster transfer of your upshifts (why am I now thinking of being 'upshifts creek without a paddle?). Never mind. Where was I?...
Right, once in motion that faster transfer of energy is one of the pros of going with the lightened flywheel. For me, I prefer gaining back the improved power transfer at initial launch.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM
I can has?

lol, some of you guys are soo lazy slap that biatch in there mang It's just a simple tranny drop-n-swap in the end.
Yeah, I'm pretty lazy as it is. Just hard to do with time constraints, needing the car, and lack of funds, still need two motor mounts. I'm not worried about the swap itself, was very straight forward, and my dad has all the tools for the firewall holes, just getting around to doing it and finding time, and most likely doing without a helper and hoist (Even though with the floor jack it was pretty easy) I really can't wait to get it in there, if I could have before now I definitely would have. Unfortunately the Max has had to take a back seat here recently, just been keeping up with maintenance and keeping her squeaky clean. You know how it is.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yeah, I'm pretty lazy as it is. Just hard to do with time constraints, needing the car, and lack of funds, still need two motor mounts. I'm not worried about the swap itself, was very straight forward, and my dad has all the tools for the firewall holes, just getting around to doing it and finding time, and most likely doing without a helper and hoist (Even though with the floor jack it was pretty easy) I really can't wait to get it in there, if I could have before now I definitely would have. Unfortunately the Max has had to take a back seat here recently, just been keeping up with maintenance and keeping her squeaky clean. You know how it is.
yeah, i know all about the maintenance thing (ve with 340k on it ) but if i had a fidanza on hand, i wouldn't hesitate throwing that biatch in there.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Took about 5 min to get used to it. I guess a noobie might have problems
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Took about 5 min to get used to it. I guess a noobie might have problems
Ban!

go play with yur paddle shifters.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I can has?

yeah, i know all about the maintenance thing (ve with 340k on it ) but if i had a fidanza on hand, i wouldn't hesitate throwing that biatch in there.
Oh, neither would I. I still have yet to do the 5-spd swap.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 PM

Oh, neither would I. I still have yet to do the 5-spd swap.
on the same boat...duno wen its gonna come to edge lol
Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

pearl -

my car is a VG5 with a fidanza, and matt's is a VG5 with a stock flywheel. both from my driving experience both cars, and his (he still drives mine sometimes... he's jealous of my mods), the general consensus is that it's quicker and easier to upshift, takes less blip of the throttle to revmatch a downshift (tho you can't linger... gotta get off the clutch quick before the RPM falls again), and is twice as touchy to launch as the stock flywheel. I actually startled myself last night when i was repositioning his car after putting his axle back in (see n00b thread) and my foot slipped and the car smoothly engaged and backed up, UPHILL, without me touching the gas. Try that in my car and you'll be on the brakes and hitting the starter again. The RPM it takes to launch the car without jerking also increased alot with the fidanza. Tho sometimes i will pull off a smooth 900rpm launch, i usually have to launch between 1500 and 1800 nowadays. With the stock flywheel i was almost always below 1200rpm when launching. If I get SurraTT's z31 then i'll put the fidanza on it, and put the stock back on my Max, since the z will be a track ***** of a car, rather than a DD (interior already gutted)

and since i ain't got a job right now... $100 plus gas to/from and i'll come down and help you with that 5spd swap.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Ban!

go play with yur paddle shifters.

I gotta admit. I've never had that jerky feeling. Not with the flywheel anyway. However, I do that jerky feeling when I get cut off by another driver for no good reason.
But seriously... the only time I've noticed a jerky feeling with the lightened flywheel is when I'm in stop and go traffic. When I am crawling slowly in traffic and the car is saying either give me gas, or put me in neutral, 'clutch chatter' seems to rear its head quicker with the lighter flywheel.