3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power Antenna Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 11:07 AM

Power Antenna Problem

Hi there, I just got a used 1994 Nissan Maxima GXE from a reputable car dealer and it's in very good shape. It has about 120,000 miles on it so far. So far, I have noticed a problem with the power antenna. It does not move up nor down whenever the stereo is turned on. The stereo is not stock, it has be replaced with a Pioneer with CD player and detachable faceplate. From what I can gather from the paperwork left in the glove compartment, the stereo was installed by Sears. My guess is, there is a remote possibility that a bad installation could have caused this. So, I've heard there are fuses that might control this. I noticed near the dash of driver side, there is one missing fuse for "Bose Audio". I don't think the car comes with Bose Audio system, but could that be a cause? I did check the fuse for the "Audio" and it was good. I also noticed a colored wiring running into the fuse of the "AUDIO". I'm not sure why that is there either. Anyways, what are my options to see if there is something simple/cheap to fix this? If all else fails and the cause is the motor, could I manually raise the antenna halfway up and leave it stationary? Thanks. Would really appreciate all help I can get.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Power Antenna Problem

Originally posted by stinga
Hi there, I just got a used 1994 Nissan Maxima GXE from a reputable car dealer and it's in very good shape. It has about 120,000 miles on it so far. So far, I have noticed a problem with the power antenna. It does not move up nor down whenever the stereo is turned on. The stereo is not stock, it has be replaced with a Pioneer with CD player and detachable faceplate. From what I can gather from the paperwork left in the glove compartment, the stereo was installed by Sears. My guess is, there is a remote possibility that a bad installation could have caused this. So, I've heard there are fuses that might control this. I noticed near the dash of driver side, there is one missing fuse for "Bose Audio". I don't think the car comes with Bose Audio system, but could that be a cause? I did check the fuse for the "Audio" and it was good. I also noticed a colored wiring running into the fuse of the "AUDIO". I'm not sure why that is there either. Anyways, what are my options to see if there is something simple/cheap to fix this? If all else fails and the cause is the motor, could I manually raise the antenna halfway up and leave it stationary? Thanks. Would really appreciate all help I can get.
The power antennas are a problem for a lot of 3rd gens. Yours may have just died like mine and other did. The actual cause is the "teeth", that are on the plasitc rod inside the actual mast, break and the mast can no longer be moved with the motor.
I don't think you're supposed to have a fuse in "BOSE AUDIO" if you dont have BOSE so dont worry about that.
You could take out your headunit (easy, about 20 minutues, instructions with pics on my page - link in my sig) and check to make sure the blue wire on the Nissan harness (car side of the harness) is connected properly. If you give this wire power, it should raise the antenna. You should be able to hear the motor working in the passengers side of your trunk next to the jack and tire iron.
I bet your antenna mast just needs to be replaced. Try www.courtesyparts.com for good prices on Nissan parts.
Also, when you remove your antenna, you will probaly have to take apart the motor becaues the broken part usually gets stuck inside the motor and wont let you put a new one completely in until this is out.
Here are some really good instructions courtesy of Matt92se (Matt York): http://www.gen3.4mg.com/cgi-bin/fram...r_antenna.html

good luck and welcome to the board
Old 11-12-2001, 05:01 PM

hi there, thanks for your very informative reply and timely one. I really appreciate the help and links you provided. I really believe that it is broken as well and since I don't feel like spending the money on replacing it, I will just raise it manually and leave it as is for the time being. I do have some other questions for you. Since this car has 120,000miles, I was wondering if there are tips to lower the amount of stress on the engine/tranny. Should I leave "overdrive" always on? I heard it could be harsh on tranny in some instances. What about the "power", "auto", and "comfortable" modes? what effect does these have on engine/tranny? I do not mind burning a few more drops of gasoline however, as long as I get great performance and least stress on car. Hope you or others can provide me with answers. Again, Thanks and you all have a great website. By the way, how many miles are on your 93maxima and how many miles should I expect out of my 94 maxima gxe automatic 120,000 with proper maintenance? Thanks..bye for now

stinga
Old 11-12-2001, 05:42 PM

Hey stinga, welcome to the board. Here's some info:

1) Our GXE's have timing belts that need to be replaced every 60K miles. Do you know if your has been changed? If not, you should do it or have it done (cost around $300-600 depending on shops).

2) Our transmissions are weak and prone to failure. You should check the tranny fluid's condition. Also, it is recommended that you add a transmission cooler which will extend the life of your tranny. I got a Hayden 403 from Autozone (about $40). Check the sticky at the top of the page for details, etc.
Power mode --> tranny shifts at higher rpm
Auto ---> tranny shifts based on how much you push it
You will get the best mpg if you drive conservatively in
this mode.
Comfort --> shifts at low rpm now matter how hard you push it
I drive with overdrive on all the time. If you want a little more kick, then turn it off.

3) The VG engines, on GXE's, are very good engines and will last you a long time. Some people's have lasted over 240K miles. Just take care of the tranny and you should be good for a long time.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:50 PM

Your antenna and everybody elses. Seriously, never seen a 3rd gen with a working antenna (including my Mom's new!!! broke after about 50k). I tried buying new plastic, followed directions I found on the internet, gave up after two days...it's manual now! Kind of like my temp gauge that has a mind of it's own, my stereo that likes making very strange noises, the paint peeling off my front bumper, well enough ranting...
Old 11-12-2001, 08:56 PM

hey, thanks for being so informative once again...those were very helpful comments. I do have some more questions if you don't mind.
1) How can I tell if the timing belts have been replaced? And what would be initial signs that the timing belts are failing? Since car is at 117,000 miles, I would assume it's a 50/50 whether or not the previous owner had them replaced. They were very careful with the car from what I can gather so far.

2) What are some ways to check for condition of the tranny fluid?

thanks.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by stinga
hey, thanks for being so informative once again...those were very helpful comments. I do have some more questions if you don't mind.
1) How can I tell if the timing belts have been replaced? And what would be initial signs that the timing belts are failing? Since car is at 117,000 miles, I would assume it's a 50/50 whether or not the previous owner had them replaced. They were very careful with the car from what I can gather so far.

2) What are some ways to check for condition of the tranny fluid?
1)I don't think there's a way you can know. Ask the dealer for records of that car. Or try to find out where the car has been serviced before you bought it. How long has the dealer had it? Is it a Nissan dealer? If so, then they might be able to look up the VIN and get service records. If you can't find out if the belt was replaced, then perhaps you'd be better off getting it changed. It really is a small price to pay compared to the amount if it does break.

2)From the Hayne's repair manual:
The fluid should only be checked when the engine is at normal operating temp. Caution: if the vehicle has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic, wait for 30 minutes before checking it.
Park on level ground, apply the parking brake and start the engine. While the engine is idling, depress the brake pedal and move the selector lever through all the gears, beginning and ending in Park.
With the engine still idling, remove the dipstick.
Wipe the fluid off the stick and reinsert fully.
Pull out the stick again and read the level (should be in HOT range). If the level is low, add a little bit of fluid at a time with an appopriate funnel into the dipstick tube.
Keep checking the level to be sure.
If the fluid at the end of the dipstick is black or a dark reddish brown color, or if it smells burned, the fluid should be changed. If you're in doubt about the condition of the fluid, buy some new fluid and compare the color and odor.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:30 AM

stinga: it is possible that sears did not hook up the power antenna lead, when I had my other decks in, I opted not to hook it up b/c I barely ever used the radio, and did not want to strainthe anteanna.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:39 PM

Re: Re: Power Antenna Problem

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

The power antennas are a problem for a lot of 3rd gens. Yours may have just died like mine and other did. The actual cause is the "teeth", that are on the plasitc rod inside the actual mast, break and the mast can no longer be moved with the motor.
I don't think you're supposed to have a fuse in "BOSE AUDIO" if you dont have BOSE so dont worry about that.
You could take out your headunit (easy, about 20 minutues, instructions with pics on my page - link in my sig) and check to make sure the blue wire on the Nissan harness (car side of the harness) is connected properly. If you give this wire power, it should raise the antenna. You should be able to hear the motor working in the passengers side of your trunk next to the jack and tire iron.
I bet your antenna mast just needs to be replaced. Try www.courtesyparts.com for good prices on Nissan parts.
Also, when you remove your antenna, you will probaly have to take apart the motor becaues the broken part usually gets stuck inside the motor and wont let you put a new one completely in until this is out.
Here are some really good instructions courtesy of Matt92se (Matt York): http://www.gen3.4mg.com/cgi-bin/fram...r_antenna.html

good luck and welcome to the board
I also have atenna problems and visited your site.It is great,I'll use it if and when I decide to tackle this problem.I have another question.My drivers side front and rear power windows have the same problem.The motor is running but the window want work.If you raise it by hand it falls back down.I opened the rear panel and it appears that the cable may be hung up,tangled up or something.I couldn't find a way to reach everything.I didn't look at the front one.Due to the cramped quarters I don't think I should attempt this repair on my own unless you can tell me an easy fix.If I have them fixed what can I expect to pay for a repair. Like I said I think the motors are working, thanks
Old 11-18-2001, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Power Antenna Problem

Originally posted by onegoode
I also have atenna problems and visited your site.It is great,I'll use it if and when I decide to tackle this problem.I have another question.My drivers side front and rear power windows have the same problem.The motor is running but the window want work.If you raise it by hand it falls back down.I opened the rear panel and it appears that the cable may be hung up,tangled up or something.I couldn't find a way to reach everything.I didn't look at the front one.Due to the cramped quarters I don't think I should attempt this repair on my own unless you can tell me an easy fix.If I have them fixed what can I expect to pay for a repair. Like I said I think the motors are working, thanks
check out my webpage - http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html
in the how-to section under window regulators

I'm 99% sure that's your problem (it's very common with 3rd gen and symptoms are like you described)
Old 09-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Power Antenna doesn't retract/ rod broke

Originally Posted by Tall
Your antenna and everybody elses. Seriously, never seen a 3rd gen with a working antenna (including my Mom's new!!! broke after about 50k). I tried buying new plastic, followed directions I found on the internet, gave up after two days...it's manual now! Kind of like my temp gauge that has a mind of it's own, my stereo that likes making very strange noises, the paint peeling off my front bumper, well enough ranting...
I have 1992 Nissan Maxima SE and my antenna has not been working for more than 5 years that I have owned it. It is all the way up but it does not come down - I hear the motor when I turn on the radio/stereo or turn it off but the antenna always stayed in the maximum raised position.
I took the car to the car wash and forgot to lower the antenna - result that it broke from the very base. What do I do now - I have 2 questions - where do I get the metal rod and if I get that how do I replace that and fix the original problem with the antenna not retracting or going up. Please help - BTW I have used your instructions and found it extremely useful to replace my rear window regulator - it saved me a lot of money - wish there is something for the antenna - what are the things that i would need - is it the mast and the new metal rod etc etc
Old 09-22-2003, 01:04 PM

Overdrive should always be on for normal driving. Says it right in the manual.

I believe all it does it add the 4th gear which kicks in while you're driving to keep your RPMs low.

Saves gas, less engine wear, less stress, etc... Just use it.

On a side note, How much is it to have Jiffy Lube flush the tranny? Do you provide the fluid?
Old 09-22-2003, 02:03 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

mine works but wont go all the way down it gets stuck.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Getting back to his roots

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/exterio..._antenna.shtml
Old 09-22-2003, 03:17 PM
94c Big Max

interesting, well you could easily find parts to replace it...I have seen parts sold on partsamerica.com for pretty cheap price, the whole gig of replacement shouldn't cost you no more than $30 total. Or you could try the junkyard or any local store and replace the antenna. I am not sure where I have seen some writeup on how to replace them, you might wanna check out Griag's website, 4sdc.com, etc.. It doesn't looks that complicated at all.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:18 AM

Yeah - leave car in overdrive unless you're either: going up or down long hill; passing someone or using 3rd for braking effect. The torque converter locks up in both 3rd & 4th over 50mph , when warm.
Replace whole aerial - don't bother messing around with motors etc. You can get second hand from junkyard at good price. Same aerial used in Nissan Stanza of that era - although you will have to swap bottom bracket and aerial mast mount. Easy to do - 30min job.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:59 PM

Alright... about this antenna problem... My antenna doesn't work and I found this wire that looks like one that attaches to the antenna in the picture... But when I felt around on my antenna, I couldn't find where it would connect too. Um... I would try to post a picture on this, but I dont know how to. Its about 1/4" thick, with a silver screw end on it. It looks as if it were to come out of the roof of my car, and looks like the other end of it connects to the back window warmer... I don't know where it goes... Can someone help me?

=->Evil Twin<-=