3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sway bar dimensions and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Sway bar dimensions and recommendations

Ok, those of you who know what a nutjob I am would know that I'm an idiot for not doing my sway bars already. Anyway, now that my Koni specials/reds are worn and I'm looking at replacing them with custom made Koni Sports/yellows because I hate taking out the reds just to adjust them, I figured I'd do everything.

That is to say, all nolethane bushes, steering rack mounts, boots and sway bars, since pretty much everything has to come out - do it all in one hit. Matt, I've still got your heim joints for the rear bar which will definitely be put to good use!

Now one mob who have done some R&D seem to be of the belief that a 30mm front and 18mm rear is the balanced combination for this vehicle. Quite frankly, I think 18mm is probably a bit too thin for the rear given the one in there now looks like it's about 14mm. Someone correct me on this if my estimate is wrong.

Anyway, given how I like to take 50mph rated bends at 100mph, I'm thinking the 18mm should be more like 20mm to give me a little oversteer. Anyone have any thoughts on this? What sizes are you guys using?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:30 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by The Max
Now one mob who have done some R&D seem to be of the belief that a 30mm front and 18mm rear is the balanced combination for this vehicle. Quite frankly, I think 18mm is probably a bit too thin for the rear given the one in there now looks like it's about 14mm. Someone correct me on this if my estimate is wrong.

Anyway, given how I like to take 50mph rated bends at 100mph, I'm thinking the 18mm should be more like 20mm to give me a little oversteer. Anyone have any thoughts on this? What sizes are you guys using?

The stock VG30E RSB's are 13.8 mm. so yeah you are right on the money with the 14mm estimate. The VE30DE stock RSB's are 15mm.

The Addco rsb is 22mm, the Suspension Techniques rsb is also right at 22mm, these are the only 3rd gen aftermarket rsb's that i am aware of.

I use a slightly modified stock rsb..

Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 AM

A 3rd brace point. Nice alternative dude. It's respectable!

Anyway, thanks for the info. I thought 18mm was just too friggin' small. Any ideas what they're using for the front? I think 30mm is the maximum diameter these locals make but I don't think that would be such a big deal for a front wheel drive car, compared to the rear bar.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by The Max
A 3rd brace point. Nice alternative dude. It's respectable!

Anyway, thanks for the info. I thought 18mm was just too friggin' small. Any ideas what they're using for the front? I think 30mm is the maximum diameter these locals make but I don't think that would be such a big deal for a front wheel drive car, compared to the rear bar.
From I read about this before, I think most of the improvement in the front is the result of using a solid bar instead of the stock hollow bar, so just looking at thickness doesnt tell the whole story.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
From I read about this before, I think most of the improvement in the front is the result of using a solid bar instead of the stock hollow bar, so just looking at thickness doesnt tell the whole story.
I think it is the same for the back, not only is the diameter bigger, but the internal diameter is smaller.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Sorry, I was working under the assumption that both the front and rear swaybars in the better-known aftermarket kits are solid. Are you suggesting the Addco 22mm RSB is a hollow bar?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 AM

both aftermarket sway bars (front and rear, Addco and Suspension Techniques) are solid. The stock RSB is solid and about 14mm, the stock FSB is hollow and 37mm. For the stiffness of the solid bars you also have to consider the metal used. Obviously the strength of the metal used will have an effect on how easily it twists. I believe Matt (Blehm) covered this all before. Try a search. I use the Addco rear (thicker than the ST by 3mm) and the ST front (Addco does not make FSB). Matt talked about a company named Whiteline(?) I believe that he says makes better sway bars for our cars (again search)
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Must be thinking of something else (I think a blehmco product) - sorry guys
Old 11-11-2008, 02:12 PM
STFU n00b!

What Jon said.
I have a Whiteline front and Addco rear, I think.
At first I had the ST set and then took them off when I did my suspension mods since I figured the stiff springs would negate the need for stiff bars. later I learned that you need an even stiffer bar to compliment the stiffer springs.

I wound up picking up the Whiteline/addco set used from someone on here a year or so ago. I'm exremely happy with the balance they provide.

On the rear, you can do a race style bar fairly easily- just have to make sure your exhaust routing takes the bar into account. otherwise you can buy an Addco bar for the rear and $$$pay shipping$$$ to Oz. It will be cheaper to use a regular race bar with endlinks out of a catalogue than to pay for the bar and shipping from the states.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
What Jon said.

I wound up picking up the Whiteline/addco set used from someone on here a year or so ago. I'm exremely happy with the balance they provide.

On the rear, you can do a race style bar fairly easily- just have to make sure your exhaust routing takes the bar into account. otherwise you can buy an Addco bar for the rear and $$$pay shipping$$$ to Oz. It will be cheaper to use a regular race bar with endlinks out of a catalogue than to pay for the bar and shipping from the states.
Ah well there's no problem, sort of. Whiteline are actually based in Sydney BUT they've discontinued the Maxima products in their lineup. However, Selby's (also Sydney based) were the guys who made the bars for them and they still manufacture the Maxima bars to order. Their specs, however, are 30mm front and 18mm rear which are the same specs as what Whiteline once carried.

So, armed with the information you guys have just given me, it's clear that I need to go along with the 30mm solid front and 22mm solid rear for the best balance. That and I need to make a point of the installers welding up your heavy duty heim joints. 3#-)
Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
What Jon said.
At first I had the ST set and then took them off when I did my suspension mods since I figured the stiff springs would negate the need for stiff bars. later I learned that you need an even stiffer bar to compliment the stiffer springs.

for those of us in the US tho, we can just order the normal Addco bar and not pay $$$hipping, rather just $hipping, right? And TheMax said that the Whiteline maxima bar was discontinued? That just in Aus, or everywhere?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 PM
STFU n00b!

Whiteline is the manufacturer (well, distributor based on Tony's comments).. If they don't sell any more in Aus, then there's surely not going to be any more in the US either. You might get lucky and find one in stock somewhere, but they're not going to make more for here if they're not making them for their homeland.