3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can i have Digital Speedo meter swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:43 PM

Can i have Digital Speedo meter swap?

i went to the junk yard today and pulled out the digital speedo meter along all the wiring...and plus cup holders....i didnt know that 92 maxima gxe had stock cup holders...but wow i have them now in my VE...easy to install, already installed....ok come to the point....is there any write up for digital speedo meter swap? i just want things to go easy and smooth while swaping....Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Its around. Have Fun, lol
Old 08-16-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ProphetVG30E
Its around. Have Fun, lol
Old 08-16-2008, 10:18 PM

http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/

this should help ya out
Old 08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Hectic posted a thread a while ago...try seatching for threads posted by that user and you should find some sort of help there.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/

this should help ya out
No, it won't.

But this will: http://pearlmax.freehyperspace.com/dd/digidash.htm

I haven't finished the page yet, but it will get you started if you're serious about the conversion.

Speaking of Craig's page, someone who talks to him on a regular basis might want to let him know that his wiring info for the mode door motor in the ACC writeup is inaccurate. I noticed that a year ago while doing the conversion and double checking his info with the FSM wiring diagrams, but I couldn't ever find his screen name to get in contact with him. It's been a looong time since he's posted round here.

Last edited by Hectic; 08-17-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
No, it won't.

But this will: http://pearlmax.freehyperspace.com/dd/digidash.htm

I haven't finished the page yet, but it will get you started if you're serious about the conversion.

Speaking of Craig's page, someone who talks to him on a regular basis might want to let him know that his wiring info for the mode door motor in the ACC writeup is inaccurate. I noticed that a year ago while doing the conversion and double checking his info with the FSM wiring diagrams, but I couldn't ever find his screen name to get in contact with him. It's been a looong time since he's posted round here.
You know... everytime I watch that video it makes me wanna convert to digital dash especially now that my third gen in down for some strut tower replacement/welding

digital dash + in-dash gps should look nice IMO
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
You know... everytime I watch that video it makes me wanna convert to digital dash especially now that my third gen in down for some strut tower replacement/welding

digital dash + in-dash gps should look nice IMO
in dash gps now dats a mod i would seriously consider has anyone evr done it on a 3rd gen
Old 08-17-2008, 05:16 AM

Search for posts by the guy above. He Has...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
in dash gps now dats a mod i would seriously consider has anyone evr done it on a 3rd gen
Doubt anyone has done it to my knowledge but this is as close as I've gotten , going back to this thread REALLY makes we want my 3rd gen up and running... I mean it is but I dont want the strut to go through the tower

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...lock-went.html
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Doubt anyone has done it to my knowledge but this is as close as I've gotten , going back to this thread REALLY makes we want my 3rd gen up and running... I mean it is but I dont want the strut tower to go through the hood
free fix

but yea his GPS is pretty phat. sadly you didn't ever find a texture stamp to texture your fiberglass with to match the dash tho. But i'm sure you've got plenty of spares at work to keep practicing on
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Its just a world of difference in comfort.. and handling
Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Its just a world of difference in comfort.. and handling
so instead of fixing it, you went and bought a vq. traitor.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

I miss my digidash w/ headup display... forgot who I sold those to. Anyone got them?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:43 PM

i m staring the swap and as soon as i get hands on a good camera like 10mp....i will start doing it and will take pics...i have to go bak to junkyard and take out that fuel sensor which turns on the fuel warning light on dash cuz analog cluster have less resistant than digital so i have to take out from the same car i took out the digi speedo meter.....
Old 08-17-2008, 04:46 PM

I wouldn't mind going digital myself, but I have never seen a Maxima with the digital readouts in any junkyards. I wonder if you can buy the supplies from another source? Complete with all the necessary wiring.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

most of the digi-dashes I have seen seem to come from up north. dunno why, but not too many people had them. I think it was a bourgham(sp?) thing, from kanadu.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
most of the digi-dashes I have seen seem to come from up north. dunno why, but not too many people had them. I think it was a bourgham(sp?) thing, from kanadu.
ya u r right....many people who owns brougham edition 3rd gen maxima in canada have everything digital like sonar suspension auto climate and digi speedo meter.....i got a question....wat those bulbs names behind the analog speedo? there are 4 big ones....2 for rpm 1 for speed meter and 1 for tempt and fuel guage......and there are 15 smalls ones for warning,seat belt,fuel etc etc......wats thier names? if u wanna get them in different colors?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by bLiNg_ThEoRy
I wouldn't mind going digital myself, but I have never seen a Maxima with the digital readouts in any junkyards. I wonder if you can buy the supplies from another source? Complete with all the necessary wiring.
there is another maxima here that got digi everything...if u want i wouldnt mind taking that out for ya....i paid $120 for mine with all necessary wiring and with complete harness.....

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

194 bulbs. c'mon, bro! ya coulda used the search!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:55 PM

194 bulbs. c'mon, bro! ya coulda used the search!
lol...i m bad at remembering bulb names....i only remember 1157 and 1156 lol....those small ones are 194 too?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by burhangondal
lol...i m bad at remembering bulb names....i only remember 1157 and 1156 lol....those small ones are 194 too?
no, but you could take one out, and compare it to the ones at the store. the big one's are what you'd use to change the gauge colors.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:17 PM

no, but you could take one out, and compare it to the ones at the store. the big one's are what you'd use to change the gauge colors.
thankss....
Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 PM

i m staring the swap and as soon as i get hands on a good camera like 10mp....i will start doing it and will take pics...i have to go bak to junkyard and take out that fuel sensor which turns on the fuel warning light on dash cuz analog cluster have less resistant than digital so i have to take out from the same car i took out the digi speedo meter.....

If you're not rewiring, I don't see any point in taking pictures of anything besides your dash cutting job for the HUD, everything else is a direct swap. Is it really that important to take 10MP pictures of your dash and back seat after you remove them? Because that's about as interesting as the pictures are going to get if you aren't building a custom harness

The reason you need the fuel sending unit is so the actual fuel gauge work (accurately), not so the idiot light will work.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:41 PM

If you're not rewiring, I don't see any point in taking pictures of anything besides your dash cutting job for the HUD, everything else is a direct swap. Is it really that important to take 10MP pictures of your dash and back seat after you remove them? Because that's about as interesting as the pictures are going to get if you aren't building a custom harness

The reason you need the fuel sending unit is so the actual fuel gauge work (accurately), not so the idiot light will work.
hmm is it a direct swap? i think i will still have to find wires and connect each of 'em.... if u have something tell me....i jus wanna make it as easy as it could be....
Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 AM

hmm is it a direct swap? i think i will still have to find wires and connect each of 'em.... if u have something tell me....i jus wanna make it as easy as it could be....
Didn't you read the page I linked to? If you have all the parts that I listed there, it is a direct swap. You said you have the complete dash harness from the digital parts car, so if that's the case, you don't have to do any wiring at all, just plug the connectors in. I didn't have access to a parts car when I did my conversion, I bought the cluster and hud from another member on the forums with "pigtails" only, which is why I had to do all that wiring shown in the video.

Bonus tip: Saying "please" and "thank you" goes a long way

Last edited by Hectic; 08-19-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM

Bonus tip: Saying "please" and "thank you" goes a long way
OMG that is SOOOO TRUE... I apply this to all my customers at work and make decisions on whether they get small insignifican parts free or not.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 PM

this is the harness i got and i cut these wires (as shown in pics) from the car cuz there were bunch of wires....sorry have i done something wrong?
tell me if it is wrong and i have to go bak and get any other harness PLEASE

in ur pic of harness have 9 harness and i have 8?

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-19-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM

pic from the pearlmax page....i dont have that big harness on the top right....

Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 PM

there is another maxima here that got digi everything...if u want i wouldnt mind taking that out for ya....i paid $120 for mine with all necessary wiring and with complete harness.....
Hit me up with a PM
Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

pic from the pearlmax page....i dont have that big harness on the top right....

yes you do. it's the SMJ connector, behind the fusebox.

all you were supposed to do was to unbolt the entire harness, as in Pearlmax's picture, from the SMJ and pull it all out together. no cutting whatsoever... if there's another digi harness out there at your JY, then go back and just take it from the SMJ-to-the-end this time.

smj.. there's 2 connectors side by side, you need the smaller one iirc.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...p/IMG_1314.jpg

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-20-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
yes you do. it's the SMJ connector, behind the fusebox.

all you were supposed to do was to unbolt the entire harness, as in Pearlmax's picture, from the SMJ and pull it all out together. no cutting whatsoever... if there's another digi harness out there at your JY, then go back and just take it from the SMJ-to-the-end this time.

smj.. there's 2 connectors side by side, you need the smaller one iirc.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...p/IMG_1314.jpg
shoooot.....i donoo wat i was thinking wen i was having fun cutting those bundle of wires.............i m gonna go bak and take that harness out and put that with my wires again...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:27 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

shoooot.....i donoo wat i was thinking wen i was having fun cutting those bundle of wires.............i m gonna go bak and take that harness out and put that with my wires again...
wow. you're gonna re-splice every single wire?! holy crap.... get LOTS of rest the night before you try that and take plenty of breaks b/c that's gonna get sooo tedious and frustrating. and have the FSM and multimeter handy to make sure it's all right in the end.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Dont mean to high jack but is it possible to put leds where the analog needles are like the 4th gens where the need lights up in a different or brighter color?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by coolsun
Dont mean to high jack but is it possible to put leds where the analog needles are like the 4th gens where the need lights up in a different or brighter color?
on SE gauges where the needles are clear, run white backlighting and then just take a sharpie to 'tint' the needle whatever color you wish.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM

on SE gauges where the needles are clear, run white backlighting and then just take a sharpie to 'tint' the needle whatever color you wish.
isnt backlighting a bit pricy and im wondering if there enough room for a led, i dont really want to open my gauges since some of our orgers did and saw the inside, thanks
Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

isnt backlighting a bit pricy and im wondering if there enough room for a led, i dont really want to open my gauges since some of our orgers did and saw the inside, thanks
by 'backlighting' i just meant the standard little 194 bulbs that light up the cluster. SE uses a pale blue filter to correct the orangey nature of incandescent lights to return it to white... tho white LEDs would work well too if you know how to put LEDs in place of 194 bulbs, which I do not. Tho perhaps the auto parts stores sell 194-style LED things... perhaps that will work. opening the gauges is nothing to be afraid of. I had to swap out the drive motor for my odometer one time... a few screws and it was back together.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 PM

by 'backlighting' i just meant the standard little 194 bulbs that light up the cluster. SE uses a pale blue filter to correct the orangey nature of incandescent lights to return it to white... tho white LEDs would work well too if you know how to put LEDs in place of 194 bulbs, which I do not. Tho perhaps the auto parts stores sell 194-style LED things... perhaps that will work. opening the gauges is nothing to be afraid of. I had to swap out the drive motor for my odometer one time... a few screws and it was back together.

i tried leds in the gauges but they are too dark then i got these xenon bulbs
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...Picture001.jpg
i just want the need to light up like red
Old 08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i tried leds in the gauges but they are too dark then i got these xenon bulbs
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...Picture001.jpg
i just want the need to light up like red
get a red sharpie, pull the cluster, take the clear cover off, mark red over the top of the needle where it show through white. put it back together. enjoy.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 PM

get a red sharpie, pull the cluster, take the clear cover off, mark red over the top of the needle where it show through white. put it back together. enjoy.
thats it? cool i will try but did u do this also?

Quick Reply: Can i have Digital Speedo meter swap?