3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ahhh yes, coolant bleeding revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 PM

Ahhh yes, coolant bleeding revisited

Did a coolant flush/fill on the wife's 89 Max. Struggled with air pockets,even after following all the instructions under the "coolant bleeding" post found right here on the org. My temp needle was all over the place...up, down, teeter totter, unresponsive at times, and like an oversensitive geiger meter at others. At my wits end...well, not quite yet, but on my way -- I opened the rad cap again with engine running to see what was going on in there. Gurgle gurgle bubble bubble and then all was still. I then poured some Bar's Stop Leak in there perchance there was a small opening somewhere in the system letting air in. Closed her up and drove away...one eye on the road...the other on the temp needle. The 10 mile ride home did not move the needle even the slightest from it's stable trusty just under halfway position. I was all smiles. Now she has not been on the freeway yet, so that still remains to be seen, but so far so good.

These engines are tricky at times I think and some bubbles just get really trapped in there and are very stubborn to get out, even following the guidlines here: Frontend up, waayyyy up, rad cap off, let engine run 30 mins, heat selector on hottest setting, etc.

Entirely possible that there was a compromise somewhere in the system and the Bar's product took care of business. I can't say enough positive things about that stuff -- I put it in my Saab 900 Turbo (94) because it would vomit coolant sporadically and without warning from a slight compromise in a brand new water pump that the dealer had just put in and replaced again for the same reason. One bottle of Bar's later...no leaks to seen or heard of ever again. I was blown away. And then came to learn several auto makers precondition their vehicles in the factory with that very product; Jaguar, Hummer, to name a few.

Anyhow, enough ranting on about Bar's or people will start to think I am a rep or affiliated someway.

So...I hope all the work tonight will hold and no more dancing temp needle. Will get back on here on Monday next week and give a report.

The tips on here for this particular procedure were very helpful. One question I do have for you all; how often do you change your Tstats? I changed this one out about 2.5 years ago if my memory serves me correct.

Last edited by soundquest; 07-17-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:39 AM

The temp gauge on my car used to go nuts sometimes, but that's just because the temp sender connector was coming apart. Replaced the sender and it works fine.