3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

why 17 year olds are immature and cant appreciate a 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by AM_BlackMax
it's always sad to see a 3rd gen messed up..wrecked or destroyed or not taken care of..I'm 17 now, i got my max when i was 16, i've done my part in keeping her up. Sure i haven't always been the safest driver but i didn't do anything i knew she couldn't handle. I hope she stays with me as i go up to college. My mom is talking about getting rid of it and i'm like no, i love this car! i want to build this car to be as lively and strong as it can be! i've put 18K miles on her since last march(now she's at 242K+ miles) and they've been great!
in departure from the typical "if it rolls, then it's good enough for me" and/or "drive it till it dies" as most of us Org members scoff at other people for saying...

how many "subtle but deadly" problems have you had to fix so far? My car has so many that I'm not yet able to fully enjoy driving it.. but it's stuff that the average car owner would never notice..

bold items mean i've fixed them
GXE suspension, crappy-*** brakes, mutilated LCA, endlink, and rear link bushings, monroe (UGH) struts, screwed-up motor mounts, toasted tierods, yet-undiagnosed (prolly injector) misfire, cracked charcoal canister (vac leak?), 2 broken front studs, rotted steering rack bushings, broken gnd wire in 02 sensor harness, dead washer pump, split overflow hose on filler neck area, leaking oilpan, shorted brake bulb blowing my brake fuse instantly, (when a/t) shiftlock control box

just to name a few...
Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maus
2.5k rpms?

hell i keep my max from going above 2k rpms if at all possible!

Much to the dismay and annoyance of everyone else on the road... who have the potentially brain splattering habit of going at least 15 miles above the limit at all times, passing me up at 20 mph faster then I'm going to zoom to a red light not more then 600 feet away, and honking habitually at my slow acceleration while they floor it and flip me the bird.

Lol, people are smart.
uhh, the car doesnt get fun untill you get the revs over 4k
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by gdmaxse
uhh, the car doesnt get fun untill you get the revs over 4k
the car gets more fun, but the MPG doesn't.... We need the dollar to start rising again so foreign commodities will be cheaper... that and china needs to stop using so much gas.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
the car gets more fun, but the MPG doesn't.... We need the dollar to start rising again so foreign commodities will be cheaper... that and china needs to stop using so much gas.
Who does China think they are? Don't they know it's our gas!?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM

such a heart breaker
Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Who does China think they are? Don't they know it's our gas!?
Yeah well... most people in the US don't even know what's going on. TV = mind control.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 PM

ill try to post pics up sometime soon....haven't taken any yet cause I havent had time
Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
play with your average RPM and you may be surprised by what you see.
my old STS did better on gas if I kept the motor in midrange rather than low on the RPM
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
play with your average RPM and you may be surprised by what you see.
my old STS did better on gas if I kept the motor in midrange rather than low on the RPM
well of course my average RPM on the highway is between 2500 and 3000 which where best mileage comes from... I don't know what the efficiency is like at any given RPM though (in terms of fuel consumed to make a certain amount of power....

but the real reason i use such low RPMs is because the tranny doesn't shift as smooth as i'd like at higher RPM, and my motor mounts are crapppp and the on/off throttle throws me around too much when in a lower gear. but in terms of acceleration i could step it out a little bit, it's just uncomfortable doing so around corners and at lower speeds and stuff.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
i was young and stupid and when i first got my 3rd gen i took care of her but swore that i can keep up with anything that came my way. boy what the hell was i thinking? anyways i learned my lesson real good and at a young age and am now concerned on my safety and those with me and around me. here are some pics from when i first got my 3rd gen and then the after:

Dec. 25, 1999:

June 6, 2001:

and sometime after in 2002:

and now the present time:
Looks pretty nice for 15 years old. I've had 3 cars since I was 17. I took the best care of all of them. I still had my mishaps though like I spun out and hit a guard rail on my 99' 4runner. And then someone hit that car when I was in the store and walked out to watch them drive off because I had hit the remote start walking out. Even now at 24, I accidently curb rashed the wheels on my 07' TSX, but so far nothing has happened to my Max... I actually only have 2 cars though...both share the daily driving duties.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'm so glad my old car went to an enthusiast. It's working better than when I had it.
yea he's real cool also. when i talked to him on the phone to talk about the motor sale. cool guy. and he knows his stuff. at least you know its in good hands. mine got raped somewhere.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM

looks like they jacked the back part of the backseat too
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yea but to be honest the PO of my car would scream if they saw it. But that's because I want it to be perfect, even if it means it has to look like total crap in the process.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:14 PM

I wish I had the money, time, and the resources to make my max look as good as most of your all's. Im 17, and cant find a job that pays enough to really do any of that though. But, I really think I would be fighting for a lost cause. Whom ever has had this car has treated it like complete and total S**t. And it's got rust all over it. (Mostly on the backend and undercarriage)
There are scratches galore on it, somone has wrecked it, (Front and Back) and bottomed it out.

What the F*** is wrong with people?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 94se5spd
I wish I had the money, time, and the resources to make my max look as good as most of your all's. Im 17, and cant find a job that pays enough to really do any of that though. But, I really think I would be fighting for a lost cause. Whom ever has had this car has treated it like complete and total S**t. And it's got rust all over it. (Mostly on the backend and undercarriage)
There are scratches galore on it, somone has wrecked it, (Front and Back) and bottomed it out.

What the F*** is wrong with people?
something about the gene pool, "diversity", "self esteem"/plastic fuzzies (as opposed to warm fuzzies), and all that crap ended up making it easier for retards to feel like they were special in a good way.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM

In my area there are so many 18 y/o kids into third gens I almost hate to got to sleep at night.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:50 AM

i remember those old crash pics..GRNMAX. it was sad... but now its even better...

I had my 3rd gen when I was 17... and I definately appreciated the hell out of it more than alot of other people(17 yr olds) did with thier cars at the time . I think alot of it depends on the person.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
i remember those old crash pics..GRNMAX. it was sad... but now its even better...

I had my 3rd gen when I was 17... and I definately appreciated the hell out of it more than alot of other people(17 yr olds) did with thier cars at the time . I think alot of it depends on the person.
thanks prophecy, i try to keep it in one piece but its kinda hard to now that i have a new car along with payments but thats just how life is. time to take on responsibilities plus i wanted a new car too. people tell me to get rid of my 3rd gen but i say no cuz its been good to me, i don't owe any money on it plus i can do whatever the hell i want with it compared to my new car where i can't do much but pay for it and put gas and go. and i don't want to sell it cuz i won't get what i want for it plus i don't know how the other person might take care of it and am afraid to see it at a junkyard or in a wreck. therefore i rather keep it and keep modifying it.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 AM

I was in the same boat.. and still wish I could have kept her such as you have but couldnt keep the extra car in the driveway. I ended up finding a fellow maxima enthusiast that would take good care and was eventually able to part with it.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 AM

i hate it wen people dont take care of 3rd gens.....and treat it like some old corrolla.....
Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Well since we're all reminiscing about our third gens and how much we take care of them, I'll share my story.

I'm my Maxima's third owner. My uncle was the second owner, and his close friend was the original owner. The guy loved his cars, and loved to take care of them (too bad he didn't love the speed, otherwise I might be in a VG 5-spd right now ). My uncle bought the car for my aunt, and she took care of the car. Since my dad has been a mechanic since he was 17, he would always look out for every car in the family to make sure things are alright. When I was about 9, my uncle needed to sell the car. So my dad got it for my mom, since at the time she had an old Renault (I HATED THAT FREAKING CAR). The max has been with us ever since. I would always clean it, wash it, try to take care of it because I thought it was a cool car. When I was 15, the car had already had a cheap transmission rebuild, and a decent paint job. Then my mom got into an accident and I was in dismay, I couldn't believe she crashed "my" car. Post accident and repair, we never drove it because the transmission was so bad we deemed it unsafe for normal traffic use. It slept in the garage until I was 17. By that time, the exhaust studs were broken, the transmission was still a wreck and the car could have definitely used a tune-up. Thats when me and my dad got down to work. Engine was rebuilt (originally we were going to replace the studs, but decided for a minor overhaul: heads were worked on, injectors cleaned and tested, new piston rings, new gaskets and seals, the works.) I managed to get a job at 18, and saved my pennies for a transmission rebuild. Originally I opted for a Level 10 transmission rebuild so the damn thing would stop breaking on me, but my dad assured me the shop we took it too was recommended by some good friends of his. Transmission was rebuilt and the car ran like a champ once again. And it shifted HARD, and still does. It's rough but I was assured it would not break; I could have bought a life-time warranty from the guy, thats how sure he was. Almost two years later and I couldn't be happier with my ride. She got a rear disc conversion, good brakes, and a new set of shoes. The next project on my laundry list is to redo the ENTIRE suspension (including a drop).

TripleG, your max was an inspiration. I saw your sig when I was still confused about issues on my max, and thought "Damn, they CAN look good, can they?" I'm sorry to see what happened to your max, and it makes me wish I could rescue it, and restore it to it's original glory.