3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Hose Questions: Radiator & PCV

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

Hose Questions: Radiator & PCV

a) Can these hoses be replaced with generic that I can bend myself? I notice they look almost custom made, unless those bends and elbows just form over time.

b) Is it safe to use generic Vacuum hose for the PCV hoses? The existing PCV hoses feel extremely hard - almost plastic like PVC material, with custom elbows in it.

c) Inside the front PCV hose, there is a strange brush type thing stuck in there. Wire with the bristles around it. Did a mechanic leave that (hose cleaner?) in there by accident, or is this designed to block stuff - therefore transfer it to the new hose?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:43 PM
mod or sell?

a. sure you could, but why? preformed hoses are cheap and alot easier to install.
b. yes
c. no clue
Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
a) Can these hoses be replaced with generic that I can bend myself? I notice they look almost custom made, unless those bends and elbows just form over time.

b) Is it safe to use generic Vacuum hose for the PCV hoses? The existing PCV hoses feel extremely hard - almost plastic like PVC material, with custom elbows in it.

c) Inside the front PCV hose, there is a strange brush type thing stuck in there. Wire with the bristles around it. Did a mechanic leave that (hose cleaner?) in there by accident, or is this designed to block stuff - therefore transfer it to the new hose?
c) shouldn't be there
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

Should I put a little petroleum jelly on all the fittings before putting the hoses on...or is this actually bad for the rubber--and could cause it to bulge over time.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Should I put a little petroleum jelly on all the fittings before putting the hoses on...or is this actually bad for the rubber--and could cause it to bulge over time.
c.) I guess I've seen such on some other vehicle... maybe stops sludge entering the PCV. This is a problem in some engines (peugeot 1.9D) which may throw all 4L engine oil out during 200mile trip, winter conditions = Well oiled trunk hatch

Leave it or take it out, dunno.

All rubber under hood must stand oil, but why?. (Brk fluid is another matter)
Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
White_Shadow

Originally Posted by internetautomar
a. sure you could, but why? preformed hoses are cheap and alot easier to install.
I had this hose broken because it was so hard (aged dried out I think) and when I replaced PCV valve I broke that hose and all the local autoparts said that was a dealer item, so I guess he has the same problem trying to make a hose fit in there, however I went to Junkyard and bought this hose because I wasn't sure about generic hoses.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 AM

i have this brush on my VE...but its not in the PCV hose, its in the hose that comes from the top of both valve covers and goes to intake before throttle body.

keeps oil soot from shooting into the air stream. or so i was told
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
i have this brush on my VE...but its not in the PCV hose, its in the hose that comes from the top of both valve covers and goes to intake before throttle body.

keeps oil soot from shooting into the air stream. or so i was told
YES, that's the one - I mislabelled then.

The brush was in the hose from that front red rocker cover...I think called the LH Rocker Cover...is that the place for yours? But I don't know what you mean by 'both valve covers'....I only found 1.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmdl51
I had this hose broken because it was so hard (aged dried out I think) and when I replaced PCV valve I broke that hose and all the local autoparts said that was a dealer item, so I guess he has the same problem trying to make a hose fit in there, however I went to Junkyard and bought this hose because I wasn't sure about generic hoses.
I'm wondering if the generic hose will bend like that. I don't want to waste money if I can turn it. Did you find that it could bend. Also, the IACV-AAC hose bends alot, and that I need to replace too.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 AM
White_Shadow

I don't know! sorry I can't be more helpful, like I said I was at AutoZone and ask for the replacement of this hose and they show me a similar one just longer and they told me to cut it and bent it, but I was trying at the store to bend it like the original and I was having a hard time to make it reach the same position as the original, so I decide not to buy it, however maybe a straight hose could be easier. I'm also gonna need an IACV hose, mine is cracked but again that will be hard to find.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmdl51
I don't know! sorry I can't be more helpful, like I said I was at AutoZone and ask for the replacement of this hose and they show me a similar one just longer and they told me to cut it and bent it, but I was trying at the store to bend it like the original and I was having a hard time to make it reach the same position as the original, so I decide not to buy it, however maybe a straight hose could be easier. I'm also gonna need an IACV hose, mine is cracked but again that will be hard to find.
I just want to avoid buying from Nissan. They quoted me $4.00 PER upper plenum hex bolts...screw that. We need like 18. BUT the ones from the lower manifold were well oiled and in mint condition after 16 years...but the uppers are horrible.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Donating member? what the?!

YES, that's the one - I mislabelled then.

The brush was in the hose from that front red rocker cover...I think called the LH Rocker Cover...is that the place for yours? But I don't know what you mean by 'both valve covers'....I only found 1.
When I changed my vacuum hose (front valve cover to throttle body), I also found a wire-brush in there. Like you, I mistook it for "left over parts" and threw it out, to later find that it was called a Flame Arrester for VG. However, I haven't replaced it for almost 1/2 year, and i haven't seen any drastic issues.

I'm wondering if the generic hose will bend like that. I don't want to waste money if I can turn it. Did you find that it could bend. Also, the IACV-AAC hose bends alot, and that I need to replace too.
When I replaced my vacuum hoses (crankcase ventilation hoses) I used heater hose that was found from a local hardware store (like Ace Hardware or something). IIRC, I used 5/16" inner diameter... but take a spare PCV (if you're changing it) or your old hose and compare for correct size. The only hose I couldn't change was the hose running from the rear valve cover to the PCV. That one, you might need direct from the Dealer.

BTW, just to save yourself the trouble, don't try to substitue brake booster hose with heater hose (like how I tried). It comes to be that the booster hose is purposely stiffened to avoid collapsing of the hose-walls. good thing I didn't install.

Last edited by super32; 05-20-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by super32
The only hose I couldn't change was the hose running from the rear valve cover to the PCV. That one, you might need direct from the Dealer.

BTW, just to save yourself the trouble, don't try to substitue brake booster hose with heater hose (like how I tried). It comes to be that the booster hose is purposely stiffened to avoid collapsing of the hose-walls. good thing I didn't install.
Yes, you are talking about the BLOW BY TUBE--->RH ROCKER COVER. I only see 1 x 90 degree bend in it, but the existing hose is stiff as hell - i don't know if it's age though. Also, what if I just make the hose longer and do a gradual bend sticking out and not use the plastic hose clamps that hold them in place?

Did you replace the heater hoses on the firewall? Also, the PCV hoses, did you use standard WINDSHIELD WASHER/VACUUM hose?

When I replace my rad, I want to replace the old A/T Oil Cooler Hoses (2). Is tranny oil going to leak out...hence I better have some handy to compensate. Also, is ALL of it going to leak out?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Yes, you are talking about the BLOW BY TUBE--->RH ROCKER COVER. I only see 1 x 90 degree bend in it, but the existing hose is stiff as hell - i don't know if it's age though. Also, what if I just make the hose longer and do a gradual bend sticking out and not use the plastic hose clamps that hold them in place?
Well, it's not so much the 90deg bend. It was the fact that I couldn't find hose with large enough diameter to fit onto the rear rocker cover hose-lip (for lack of better terminology). The hose-lip on the rear rocker cover is larger diameter than that of the front rocker cover.

Did you replace the heater hoses on the firewall? Also, the PCV hoses, did you use standard WINDSHIELD WASHER/VACUUM hose?
yup, i went to any Kragen/Shucks/Checker or any autostore and asked for small vacuum hose. i brought in the old vacuum hose to show them what I was looking for. You should be able to find it from Hardware stores too. Quick answer is, as long as it fits and won't kink (if it must bend) then it's fine.

When I replace my rad, I want to replace the old A/T Oil Cooler Hoses (2). Is tranny oil going to leak out...hence I better have some handy to compensate. Also, is ALL of it going to leak out?
sorry, this is on my To-Do list just like you. I'd assume some AT fluid will come out. How much? I'm not sure, but I guess have some sort of rubber stopper or something to plug it up if it does? I wouldn't think too much would leak out... but always be prepared is what I say.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by super32
Well, it's not so much the 90deg bend. It was the fact that I couldn't find hose with large enough diameter to fit onto the rear rocker cover hose-lip (for lack of better terminology). The hose-lip on the rear rocker cover is larger diameter than that of the front rocker cover.

yup, i went to any Kragen/Shucks/Checker or any autostore and asked for small vacuum hose. i brought in the old vacuum hose to show them what I was looking for. You should be able to find it from Hardware stores too. Quick answer is, as long as it fits and won't kink (if it must bend) then it's fine.

sorry, this is on my To-Do list just like you. I'd assume some AT fluid will come out. How much? I'm not sure, but I guess have some sort of rubber stopper or something to plug it up if it does? I wouldn't think too much would leak out... but always be prepared is what I say.
if you don't top it off it will keep pouring until you do. you can lose up to a quart.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
if you don't top it off it will keep pouring until you do. you can lose up to a quart.
where will the source of the stream be? from the connection of HOSE-RAD

OR

HOSE-TRANNY

I guess I could remove it then quickly plug the tranny side?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

where will the source of the stream be? from the connection of HOSE-RAD

OR

HOSE-TRANNY

I guess I could remove it then quickly plug the tranny side?
quickly plugging either end will be a good solution to the leak problem. doesn't matter which side. the source will be from both of the hoses iirc. i did this a year ago for my aftermarket trans cooler, and when i removed my a/t for good, i didn't pay attention
Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
quickly plugging either end will be a good solution to the leak problem. doesn't matter which side. the source will be from both of the hoses iirc. i did this a year ago for my aftermarket trans cooler, and when i removed my a/t for good, i didn't pay attention
The tranny oil dipstick tube has a small hose coming off it - is this vacuum or some air purge tube? Also, on top of the tranny (looking from above towards the Purge Tank with Air Flow assembly removed) there is this over flow looking hose shaped as a J at the end of it. Do you know what that is? Regular Vacuum hose is OK for that too?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 AM

Miss sing PCV thread?

Maybe I cant, but then I cant find - pls help me again - where is this thread , 19 May?

Hose Questions: Radiator & PCV 1993-VG30E-GXE
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=pcv

FYI: Here is related pic from oil fume breather hose. When replacing, dont forget.