3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Injector Cross reference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 AM

Fuel Injector Cross reference?

I may have access to a 97 Max that was recently totaled. Looking through some parts listings I see that the Gen4 uses the same fuel injectors as the VE (Bosch 62027). I thought I knew that all the Gen4s used the same engine. But at one autoparts site I saw a listing for a VQ30DE and a seperate listing for a VQ30DE 24 valve. Somebody please tell me these are really the same engine so I can grab the fuel injectors from this wreck!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yes, vq/ve injectors are the same part.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by shoult
I may have access to a 97 Max that was recently totaled. Looking through some parts listings I see that the Gen4 uses the same fuel injectors as the VE (Bosch 62027). I thought I knew that all the Gen4s used the same engine. But at one autoparts site I saw a listing for a VQ30DE and a seperate listing for a VQ30DE 24 valve. Somebody please tell me these are really the same engine so I can grab the fuel injectors from this wreck!
So I spent Saturday at the local Pull-A-Part stocking up. I was excited because they had a 97 in the yard I hadn't seen and Bosche says the fuel injectors are the same between the 3rd and 4th gens. I thought I'd get a set of '97 injectors. No such luck. The 97 was a burn victim from a battery exploding (my guess). So the engine was toast.

But I found a 93 SE that had been dropped in THAT DAY. I think I as the first to start scavenging from it. So of course I pulled 4 of the injectors (the other two were bad or I would have taken them too), got the lock timer box, the ignitor, and the coolant temp sensor along with some other parts for my other cars for just over $40 OTD.

So Bosche lists the same part number for VQ and VE engines but here's what I found...

(VE on left, VQ on right) Notice the different tips? Might not be to significant, although I would think it would make it difficult for a place like RC Engineering to balance them.

Notice the different profiles? The 97 (top) actually has what looks like a screen in the lower mid section. Notice the 93 (bottom) has the screen much higher up the injector. I"m thinking that makes these two different beasts all together.

All of the injectors ohmed out at 11 ohms on the 1x scale on my trusty old analog VOM.

Last edited by shoult; 04-08-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All the new pintle caps are in that 4-claw style, not sure what to tell you about the screens though, but as long as fuel flows to the screen it probably wont matter because there is plenty of pressure.

Shoult, please resize your images to something smaller.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

for the screens have you tried high-pressure air? like the little tip that goes on a compressor hose and has a trigger on it? that should blow that crap out. tho it could push it farther in... which would suck. tough call.

also, how much is an injector-balance job?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
All the new pintle caps are in that 4-claw style, not sure what to tell you about the screens though, but as long as fuel flows to the screen it probably wont matter because there is plenty of pressure.

Shoult, please resize your images to something smaller.
My new camera makes WAY big pictures (nearly 4Mb in jpg format!). I'll try to remember to resize/compress before I post any more.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
mod or sell?

RESIZE those pics!!!
and what you are seeing is old style vs new style injectors.
and if you get them cleaned, I hope you'll enjoy doing the injectors again
Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
also, how much is an injector-balance job?
Depends on where you send them. I've seen places advertise as low as $5-6/injector. I've used RC Engineering for the last 10 years. They cost more ($25/per) but they come back not just cleaned, but balanced for flow and pattern. I can post a scan of the results of a set I had done a few years ago once I get home.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
RESIZE those pics!!!
and what you are seeing is old style vs new style injectors.
Thanks for the info.

if you get them cleaned, I hope you'll enjoy doing the injectors again
I probably won't enjoy it. I'm going to try it though. I can always put the original set back in if the cleaned/balanced units fail.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 AM
LvR

Perhaps I am being stupid as usual, but IMO those are 2 completely different injectors and not interchangeable.

If you don't have the rails to go with them, they will surely not be interchangeable? - those screens actually serves as "filters" for the "inlets" of these side fed injectors - if those inlets/screens are not located at the same hight/distance from the red plastic, top locating shoulder, then surely you cannot even fit them in the same rail and expect them to work - no?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
Perhaps I am being stupid as usual, but IMO those are 2 completely different injectors and not interchangeable.

If you don't have the rails to go with them, they will surely not be interchangeable? - those screens actually serves as "filters" for the "inlets" of these side fed injectors - if those inlets/screens are not located at the same hight/distance from the red plastic, top locating shoulder, then surely you cannot even fit them in the same rail and expect them to work - no?
I'm not expecting to mix both styles at all. I posted the pictures for reference. I have four good VE style at this point. So I'll either try to get at least 2 more of the VE style or 5+ more of the VQ style. In either case I'm going to use a complete set of one or the other. No mixing.

I was able to physically put a VQ style into a VE fuel rail and a VE style into a VQ rail. Both VE and VQ up to 1999 are listed as the same part number (Bosch 62027) so I feel confident that using the newer style in my VE rail should work.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 AM
LvR

I was able to physically put a VQ style into a VE fuel rail and a VE style into a VQ rail.
Guess I was being stupid then as I suspected.

I was more thinking of the depth/diameter of the pocket the injector gets put into - my concern being that even though they may physically be able to be swapped over, functionally the dimensions of the "pocket" on the rail and the exact location of the fuel "tube" connected to the "pocket" may be such that it prevents/restricts fuel reaching the side inlets of the injector - guess you will get to say I am wrong when you fire it up and the motor is as smooth as silk eh?

As for "mixing" different models .................. well - is that not the purpose of the "same specs" - ie - the same electrical and flow characteristics?. While I am with you to rather have 6 identical injectors on the motor, if the specs are the same, I would certainly be willing to mix them if you only need to replace single easily reachable injector
Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
Guess I was being stupid then as I suspected.

I was more thinking of the depth/diameter of the pocket the injector gets put into - my concern being that even though they may physically be able to be swapped over, functionally the dimensions of the "pocket" on the rail and the exact location of the fuel "tube" connected to the "pocket" may be such that it prevents/restricts fuel reaching the side inlets of the injector - guess you will get to say I am wrong when you fire it up and the motor is as smooth as silk eh?

As for "mixing" different models .................. well - is that not the purpose of the "same specs" - ie - the same electrical and flow characteristics?. While I am with you to rather have 6 identical injectors on the motor, if the specs are the same, I would certainly be willing to mix them if you only need to replace single easily reachable injector
Since I am planning to send the injectors to RC Engineering to get them balanced for flow AND pattern I think I would be better off to have 6 of the same, whether new or old.

If this was a customer car that I was trying to fix and they only wanted to pay for one injector I'd have to buy one of the new style and replace only the one that was bad.

In my case, I've actually sent brand new sets of injectors to RC Engineering and the flow sheet they sent back show marked improvements in both matched flow and pattern. I'm not trying to fix a faulty injector. I'm looking for better overall injector performance through balancing.

And while I respect internetautomar's opinion on rebuilt Nissan injectors, I've got to try it and hope he's wrong in at least this case. It's done wonders for all the other vehicles I've tried it on. Maybe it has to do with WHOSE doing the rebuild/cleaning/balancing as much as it does who does the engine rebuild.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM

I've been talking about getting a set of injectors clean and balanced. I'm posting a scan of a set I set to RC Engineering. The injectors were purchased new from Toyota and shipped to RC Engineering. They put them in their flow bench and after 24 hours sent them back with thios print out.

As you can see, these brand new injectors were within maybe 2.5% of each other. When RC was done with them they were within 0.1%, had about 3% better flow rate and their patterns were more evenly matched.

It made a difference in that engines running both at idle (much smoother) and WOT. Check them out at http://www.rceng.com/

Last edited by shoult; 04-09-2008 at 05:01 PM.