3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

In Dash GPS where clock went

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
I'm not sure I get what you're saying, would you mind rephrasing? If you're just asking if center vent left is same to center vent right, then yes they're the same except for the mounting.
looking at your pictures, you no longer have the ability to fully open or close your vents. if you swapped the center left vent with the center right vent, the controls would be on the opposite sides and no longer blocked by your navi screen. i don't remember if there's enough room, but if there is, you'd just have to cut new holes for the controls.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by maximal
looking at your pictures, you no longer have the ability to fully open or close your vents. if you swapped the center left vent with the center right vent, the controls would be on the opposite sides and no longer blocked by your navi screen. i don't remember if there's enough room, but if there is, you'd just have to cut new holes for the controls.
Oooooh ok, I see whatchu mean and its a good idea. I'm gonna check my spare bezel. Although I will say; I have never used those things so I could care less whether I have em or not but hey, keeping full functionality and stock looks is the goal. Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 04:18 PM

How are you going to be able to turn the GPS on ?

Isn't the on switch behind the bezel?

Looks real sharp Blootoof!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

if its like the 200, it turns on/off with the power(like from the cigarette lighter).
I can leave mine plugged in, and it will turn on with the ignition in acc./on. turn to off, the unit asks if i want to power off, leave on, or do nothing and auto turn off in 30 seconds.

john, when you finally have a chance to finish that thing, make sure you let us know.
im contemplating doing something like that, but i may use the vent itself, and keep the clock. but it may end up like all my thoughts do, [sigh] just that, no action...[/sigh] LOL!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 PM

The Nuvi 350 has the power botton on top. What I did for this was take the little stick/lever that was on the vent OPEN/CLOSE and added a screw at the end of it, I made a tiny groove on the bezel in between the dash and the bezel so the lever could be there and when pressure is applied upwards, the screw presses down on the button causing it to turn. Of course the GPS is advanced enough to turn on and off with the power source so it looks cool how it says "TURNING OFF IN 25 Seconds" when power is shut off.

BTW, so I shouldn't have to cut the cigarette power cord the GPS came with, I bought an adapted where its the female cig and those clamps for red and black. I'm gonna remove the clamps and just hardwire that adaptor to the clocks power harness so my cigarette lighter is always free

I should've have finished this weeks ago but the hospital visit really knocked me off schedule. Cant wait to have a clean finished product.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:25 PM

Thats why I said how are you going to turn it on because I know the GPS will power down without power. I have a nuvi as well.

Sounds like you came up with so good inginuity for the on switch !

Looks awesome man
Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Tha dash, that is one sick mod there John! I don't know that I would do it to my dash, but it is cool indeed!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 PM

I love it!!! I've had it in there permanently since Dec 24th and I find myself driving next to bimmers, acuras, and other luxury vehicles with gps option but dont have the factory GPS and have caught some of the drivers looking at mine like "wow he's got GPS" lol or they might also be saying "what a wannabe" but who knows
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 AM

Hey guys thanks for those incredibly kind words. Today when the gfs dad saw it, he liked it and offered to help me perfect it. I took his offer and will be going over sometime this week. He suggested the same Alex said about texture paint to get some texture on there. #1 goal here is stock looking and so far its coming out alright. Here's a quick video my gf shot on the way back from a christmas family gather. Vid was taken with our new Sony digital cam that has a 1080p sticker on it, wonder if its video or picture quality...

Looks sensational. One question, would you be so kind as to tell me what the name of that track is which is playing in the video?

Cheers man.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 AM

NICE
Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by CBRKelly
Looks sensational. One question, would you be so kind as to tell me what the name of that track is which is playing in the video?

Cheers man.
Originally Posted by Mr.Davon24
NICE
Track is Darude - Touch Me Feel Me

And thanks guys my friend with a 6th gen thinks its stupid and ugly... and a waste cuz its an old car
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

eff his egotistical butt(LOL)
just because he can afford a brand new car doesent mean his is better!
the third gens still look best, even tho the newer ones have more powerful engines...:/
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM

loooks pretty good clean up those edges and it will look mint
Old 01-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I miss my VE

And thanks guys my friend with a 6th gen thinks its stupid and ugly... and a waste cuz its an old car
If he thinks its stupid and ugly he should take a look at his ride as a whole. Oh, and tell him at least your car was made when Nissan still had money of it's own.

Nice work btw
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM

Bluetoof did you ever fix the uneven part closer to the speedo?????
Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM

No an yes...fron the last pic/video i posted....i sanded some more off with a dremel and when i was gonna fix it some more a couple days later i got sick so i didnt.

Luckily due to my 2 week sickness and 5 of those days in the hospital and then 7 days more due to the medications so total of 3 weeks, I got fired today for missing work. So 7 months of working there, never missing a single day, going the extra mile doing things that werent even in my job duties and cuz I got sick they fired me...they will definately be hearing from the unemployment office soon. So as I was saying, luckily I got fired and now have time to finish the project

I should have a case considering I got proof from the hospital. It shows my bill costing me $12,377 and the days I was there.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also we were gonna cut the GPS car charger and take power from clock harness since its RIGHT there but decided not to since it might be expensive. For now its routed through the back and plugged in cig lighter.
You can buy a female socket to plug the adapter into (from radioshack or online or somewhere) then wire that to the car.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
You can buy a female socket to plug the adapter into (from radioshack or online or somewhere) then wire that to the car.
Yea thats what I ended up doing but due to my recent illness its been sitting in the trunk..thought I mentioned that here but it could've just been thinking about it but never mentioned, that happens a lot
Old 01-24-2008, 05:27 AM

No an yes...fron the last pic/video i posted....i sanded some more off with a dremel and when i was gonna fix it some more a couple days later i got sick so i didnt.

Luckily due to my 2 week sickness and 5 of those days in the hospital and then 7 days more due to the medications so total of 3 weeks, I got fired today for missing work. So 7 months of working there, never missing a single day, going the extra mile doing things that werent even in my job duties and cuz I got sick they fired me...they will definately be hearing from the unemployment office soon. So as I was saying, luckily I got fired and now have time to finish the project

I should have a case considering I got proof from the hospital. It shows my bill costing me $12,377 and the days I was there.

Did the Dr.'s there tell you about fmla papers? It basically protects your job whenever you or a family member ( you take care of ) are ill. You can be off for a few weeks with out being fired. My medical kicking in lol. Anyway the plastic that you filled the whole in with what was that product called?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 AM

talk about devotion. Great job. Thats got to be a first.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 AM
mod or sell?

Did the Dr.'s there tell you about fmla papers? It basically protects your job whenever you or a family member ( you take care of ) are ill. You can be off for a few weeks with out being fired. My medical kicking in lol. Anyway the plastic that you filled the whole in with what was that product called?
fiberglass...
Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Would be lost w/out the org

to other people considering this mod: Me and John were talking about the possiblility of cutting a hole in the top of the dash, then fixing the part you cut out to the back of the navi and making a flip up design. There's plenty of space under there for it to work. So it would sit on the top of your dash, instead of cutting out the bezel.

ORRRrrrr....you could make a pop-up design, which would also be very cool. Harder to do, but very cool.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
fiberglass...

I've figured that but, I thought he used some type plastic filler also.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 PM

I've figured that but, I thought he used some type plastic filler also.
Bondo branded Long strand Fiberglass to make shape and form...one its sanded down real nice I'll apply Bondo filler to perfect the shape overall and then I'm gonna paint it with texture paint to match the rest of the bezel.

As traxtar mentioned, I thought of cutting the dash and having a cover type thing like the 2002-2006 altima and the 99-2006 sentra, just lift and have GPS fold out. Fold in for nice hiding place

Also thanks for that medical tip, either way I wouldn't wanna go back there since that new owner is a ****. I'm just gonna go for unemployment
Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 AM
mod or sell?

Bondo branded Long strand Fiberglass to make shape and form...one its sanded down real nice I'll apply Bondo filler to perfect the shape overall and then I'm gonna paint it with texture paint to match the rest of the bezel.

As traxtar mentioned, I thought of cutting the dash and having a cover type thing like the 2002-2006 altima and the 99-2006 sentra, just lift and have GPS fold out. Fold in for nice hiding place

Also thanks for that medical tip, either way I wouldn't wanna go back there since that new owner is a ****. I'm just gonna go for unemployment
you want a food delivery job?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you want a food delivery job?
Yes and No, Last time you helped me get a job I made you look bad ...and yes I didnt like doing that.

Tell me more about this food job
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
mod or sell?

it's working for my cousin and her husband. they do food delivery for restaurants in the area (skokie, evanston, lincolnwood) beyond that I don't know much.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Are those indiglo gauges or blue leds replacing the gauge lights? Looks nice. Nice engineering skills.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by max95q
Are those indiglo gauges or blue leds replacing the gauge lights? Looks nice. Nice engineering skills.
They're just LEDs under stock 92-94 SE gauge cluster. As for the intrument panel buttons, those had blue LEDS with soldered restistors in em. Climate control LED install is awaiting for nice weather and days off as I'm not the one doing them.

Thank you, but I have no engineering skills its all trial and error
Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 PM

I just bought a streetpilot i5 and will be attempting something similar. The i5 screen is prettymuch the same size as the clock so I wont have to do as much modding to install it. I know its small, but my last attempt at cutting the dash went pretty bad, and I want to do as little cutting as possible.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 AM

wow, very cool mod.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 PM

So, have you had any time to finalize this mod? It is really cool and if I took my car on trips that I didn't make on a daily basis, I would be into something like this.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 PM

I have not...been busy gettin unemployment paperwork done and hospital paperwork done. dying to finish it though
Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Nice work - and I have the same HU as you. Def keep us posted with update pics.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Track is Darude - Touch Me Feel Me

Tell him his non fully loaded 6th gen blows oil or tell him to go suck on an HID bulb lmao

~Alex

Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Tell him his non fully loaded 6th gen blows oil or tell him to go suck on an HID bulb lmao

~Alex
Yea his car is nice but!! no HID, no power folding side mirrors, no heated steering wheel, no navi, no spoiler, no ipod option for available for his at all. the only luxuries he's got over me : dealer installed remote start, dual climate, OBII , speed controlled wipers...I dont even think he's got heated mirrors like I got

Anyway, got some serious inner-outer tierod separation going on right now so after that has been taken care of I will pick up on the GPS project

Hey hadman, do you have the Pioneer model or the Premier model? I believe there are some differences in audio options between the two

Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 AM
I miss my VE

Do you have a clear daytime shot of the finished product in the dash after you smoothed out the edges? Very cool changing out all the lights to blue and getting rid of that hideous clock lol..
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Do you have a clear daytime shot of the finished product in the dash after you smoothed out the edges? Very cool changing out all the lights to blue and getting rid of that hideous clock lol..
unfortunately the product is not done yet but yes the gps doesnt dim like the clock did

As for changing all the lights to blue, not all are done yet, I'm still waiting on 92gxeCG2 to put blue LEDs in my climate control...pff he's been distant, lazy a*hole
Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
unfortunately the product is not done yet but yes the gps doesnt dim like the clock did

As for changing all the lights to blue, not all are done yet, I'm still waiting on 92gxeCG2 to put blue LEDs in my climate control...pff he's been distant, lazy a*hole
Oh, something need to be soldered there? Im goin hot pink on mines

Last edited by VEvolution; 01-31-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM

heresmymind did his keypads pink a long time ago, you should really go for it, chicks dig it! :

Quick Reply: In Dash GPS where clock went