3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Testing Injector resistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Testing Injector resistance

I need to test the resistance on my injectors. However the connectors wont come off without pulling the plenum (which I would rather not do right now). I believe there is a junction somewhere where the wires come out to, and the resistance can be tested at the junction quite easily. Anyone know about this and does anyone have any pic's or diagrams of the details.

I have a 93 GXE SOHC.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You do not have to remove the plenum, simply use a mechanic's pick and pull the metal clips on the side of the connectors off, then you can carefully wiggle the connector loose.

Forgot to add that for the injector near the distributor, simply mark the distributor bolt, then pull the whole assembly out, leaving you enough room to work. When you're done, just line the distributor up back to where it was and retighten.

Last edited by disgruntled; 12-16-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
You do not have to remove the plenum, simply use a mechanic's pick and pull the metal clips on the side of the connectors off, then you can carefully wiggle the connector loose.

I have a '93 GXE. No metal clips on the injector harness. Also, I am sure I have to take the plenum off. Anyone know of the other junction, that I have asked about?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by disgruntled

Forgot to add that for the injector near the distributor, simply mark the distributor bolt, then pull the whole assembly out, leaving you enough room to work. When you're done, just line the distributor up back to where it was and retighten.
Most of the connectors are impossible to get at with the plenum installed.

Jimbo: Here you go, pull the bit ECU connector, stick one probe in the corresponding pin of the one marked in YELLOW on the OPPOSITE end of the connector (i chopped the picture prior to figuring out its location). Again, the 3rd one on the opposite end, but same side as the spot filled in yellow. Then touch the color coded pins with the other probe depending on which injector you need to test.

There's no guarentee you are going to get an accurate reading this way though. You need to take into consideration corrosion of the injector terminals and the fact that the constant wire routes into several other components, might throw it off.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 PM

You can access all but one of the injector connectors without removing anything, but there should be a small metal retainer clip around the connector that you will need to remove before you can pull the connector. As 'disgruntled' mentioned, the one closest to the distributor is mostly covered by the plenum, I haven't tried accessing it by removing the distributor, but it sounds plausible.

If you are finding it too difficult, then probe the ECU connector like hectic shows. From his drawing it appears that only 3 of the injectors have an intermediate connector, the other 3 are cabled directly back to the ECU connector. I don't know where the intermediate connector is though.

Last edited by sonicii; 12-21-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks sonicii for validating me, I was going to go take a pictures to show, but eh...
Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Alex_V

theres a connector for the front three injectors under the IACV.

Trace the IACV wires, and the other 6 pin connector next to it is for the injectors, You can measure it off that.

~Alex

Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
theres a connector for the front three injectors under the IACV.

Trace the IACV wires, and the other 6 pin connector next to it is for the injectors, You can measure it off that.

~Alex
Do you have a photo and do you know which terminals I have to probe to get a correct reading?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Alex_V

no but they are really easy to find, take off your intake piping (maf connector, piping coupler and the filter housing clips) and its the left connector on the side of the engine. There will be a big connector on the left, a med sized on in the middle and some emission valves green and brown in color. The injector one is the far left one (standing from the D-side fender). I can't remember how to test it, gotta look it up on the FSM.

~Alex