3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clean your Throttle body!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Clean your Throttle body!

carbon buildup:

IACV ports before:

IACV ports after:

Butterfly before:

Butterfly aftter:
Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 PM

outside:

I don't have pictures of the outside of the TB before...but when you look at the pic of it installed, you can see how bad the intake manifold looks, and know that the TB was twice as bad.

I also removed the Cruise control 'lever' but left the spacer on there.

There was also a FEW small places on the exterior that i couldn't get too% polished due to being located in inaccessible nooks and crannies, but they're minimal, so i'm not worried about them.

I haven't tested performance after the reinstall yet, because i still have to adjust my TPS properly before i drive, but i'm assuming it will run MUCH better, because the throttle plate (butterfly) was actually sticking when i tried to open it.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I did this when I changed my valve cover gaskets, not to the IACV but the Throttle body itself.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
I did this when I changed my valve cover gaskets, not to the IACV but the Throttle body itself.

VeeGee, eff tee ell.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 PM

You're such a post *****
Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Alex_V

....you still need to pressure wash the entire bay.

But good work so far.

Oh and I doubt those are IACV ports, they are too small. Probably vacumme reference ports for something. The big 1/2in diameter hoses are IACV related.

~Alex

Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 PM
I can has?

I can't believe you let the throttle body get that bad!

Good to see you're showing that engine some love finally
Old 12-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
....you still need to pressure wash the entire bay.

But good work so far.

Oh and I doubt those are IACV ports, they are too small. Probably vacumme reference ports for something. The big 1/2in diameter hoses are IACV related.

~Alex
I cannot remember now what exactly they were...but one of them does have something to do with the IACV, and as for the other, i cannot remember....

and the pressure washing, i have done, but most of these components are pressure washer friendly, and will hand clean as i remove/clean components in the future.

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
I can't believe you let the throttle body get that bad!

Good to see you're showing that engine some love finally
well in the not so distant past, i didnt really consider the fact that the inside might be so dirty! i figured....air blows by it at high velicoty, it should be somewhat clean still.

yeah, the engine's finally getting the love it needs...i was too broke to even consider something like this about 6 months ago...now that my wife is in iraq, we have two incomes AND i am able to get out of the house to work on it from time to time
Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
kthxbye2u

dude I was stupid and cleaned my upper intake mani and TB with purple power... and now its corroding!!!!! what can I use to stop the corrosion and get it back!

im not getting new ones.. (I have spare ones) these are ported and polished and I dont want to pay more money to get it re-done
Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 PM

aluminum polish (such as eagle-one nanopolish) works great, as it both polishes and coats teh parts for long term protection.

one thing to keep in mind....corrosion is caused by oxidization. Steel's oxidization is sped up through contact with water (causing iron oxide, a.k.a. rust). aluminum works basically the same way, so if you stop oxidation, you stop corrosion. the only TRUE way to stop corrosion is to paint the surfaces....but aside from painting, the only way to prevent it is to polish it every so often. amirite? or amirite?

any cleaning products are gonna leave the parts COMPLETELY bare of any protective coatings/measures, so you need to condition it after cleaning to protect the surfaces from oxidization.

Last edited by ustfdes; 12-16-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
dude I was stupid and cleaned my upper intake mani and TB with purple power... and now its corroding!!!!! what can I use to stop the corrosion and get it back!

im not getting new ones.. (I have spare ones) these are ported and polished and I dont want to pay more money to get it re-done
clearcoat
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by ustfdes
well in the not so distant past, i didnt really consider the fact that the inside might be so dirty! i figured....air blows by it at high velicoty, it should be somewhat clean still.
I find, (Now that you have it clean) If you spray Throttle Body/ Air Intake Cleaner in there once a month; spraying it out until you only see clear fluid come back out. It stays that way. I can stick my fingers in past the butterfly plates and feel around the T/B and back of plates and my fingers always come out clean.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

well, you have to remember, i haven't owned the car since new....so the buildup from previous 'sissy' drivers was all that was there, i'm sure....i keep enough air flowing, that there shouldn't be any build up ;x
Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I can has?

well, you have to remember, i haven't owned the car since new....so the buildup from previous 'sissy' drivers was all that was there, i'm sure....i keep enough air flowing, that there shouldn't be any build up ;x
+1 FTMFW
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 PM

1+ Sissies FTMFL
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
1+ Sissies FTMFL
sissy post whoooors.

anyways, to report a bit about the cleaned TB.....i can tell that i get much quicker throttle response, along with a much smoother idle/revving. BUT i can't FULLY report on the improvement throughout the powerband until i replace my clutch. (i just recently started slipping....apparently adding power to an already failing clutch will definately push it closer to failure.)

(clutch is in the mail, and some dealer parts are on order, FTW.)
Old 12-18-2007, 03:31 PM

i cleaned my TB and IACV when i installed my intake spacers from Aaron.