3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5-Speed Swap Here I come

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I can has?

5-Speed Swap Here I come

Well, I'm finally able to have enough time, patience and money to start my VLSD-5 Swap/ ACT Clutch/ Pacesetter sts. Looks like it's going to be a fun job to say at the least, but my dad has air tools galore and a lot of how-to knowledge. I hope it works out. If anyone has any hints, methods, anything to make the job easier PLEASE share. I have about 8 or so stickies pertaining to the 3rd gen 5-speed swap, and Matt Fugina (previous owner, and 5-speed swapper) offered to come and help if I really get myself in a bind.

Here is where the car is at now!

Anyone wanna come get the engine out of my way? Lets say $100!

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 12-11-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Good luck dude.. let us know if you need any help..
Old 12-11-2007, 03:43 PM

I'll pull that motor, if you put gas on top of the 100.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by goon9
I'll pull that motor, if you put gas on top of the 100.
gas and also at least one night room & board? LOL
Old 12-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Damn, what'd you do to your car? Oh, and could you make a couple of pics of the progress? I'm seriously considering to do that too sometime in the future.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
STFU n00b!

for how jacked that engine bay looks, I'd be wary of using the tranny. check all mounts and make sure the axles didn't beat up the differential. I'd also be wary of the knuckles and axles if you're planning on using them.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
for how jacked that engine bay looks, I'd be wary of using the tranny. check all mounts and make sure the axles didn't beat up the differential. I'd also be wary of the knuckles and axles if you're planning on using them.
Well, we cut away the front radiator support/ took out the radiators. We checked the engine pretty good and it didn't take any structural damage, the only thing that happened was the exhaust manifold had two tiny little dents in it from the radiators getting pushed back. From the underneath, the transmission/ axles were untouched, and it still rolls perfect. I'm hoping it works out!

Also, I'll be sure to take pics... and if I do it right *crosses fingers* try to make a little write-up.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Is this swap for the VE? For some reason i'm thinking you have a couple maximas aside from this sad hunk of junk pictured.. If it is for the VE, you're going to need that plenum, and you're probably going to want to get some new axles
Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Hectic
Is this swap for the VE? For some reason i'm thinking you have a couple maximas aside from this sad hunk of junk pictured.. If it is for the VE, you're going to need that plenum, and you're probably going to want to get some new axles
Yep. It is for the VE auto. I had a VG, but I sold it to my cousin so it's still around nearly every day. What plenum will I be needing? And yes, we're probably going to order some new one's from Brian if all else fails.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Alex_V

the VE autos had a regular manifold, single plane, and the VE-5's had a varible intake that switches runners at a certain RPM giving you more TQ and HP.

enjoy the 5 speed swap man, and get a TQ wrench!

~Alex

Old 12-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Important little piece of info I learned the other day: The passenger-side CV axle support bracket is a different part number between M/T and autos. They have slightly different offsets from each other, which is why my passenger-side axle seal has always leaked despite replacing the seal several times...Make sure you swap that bracket over, as well...3 bolts hold it to the block.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Alex_V
the VE autos had a regular manifold, single plane, and the VE-5's had a varible intake that switches runners at a certain RPM giving you more TQ and HP.

enjoy the 5 speed swap man, and get a TQ wrench!

~Alex
Gots the torque wrench and FSM! Also, I knew the VE-5's had a variable intake manfold, and I had planned on getting one soon. But is it a necessity that it be done with the swap? Also, is there any visible difference from the outside?

Originally Posted by maxitech
Important little piece of info I learned the other day: The passenger-side CV axle support bracket is a different part number between M/T and autos. They have slightly different offsets from each other, which is why my passenger-side axle seal has always leaked despite replacing the seal several times...Make sure you swap that bracket over, as well...3 bolts hold it to the block.
Thanks for the info on that, I'll be sure to make note of it.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
I knew the VE-5's had a variable intake manfold, and I had planned on getting one soon. But is it a necessity that it be done with the swap? Also, is there any visible difference from the outside?

Everything you need is on the parts car. The plenum is what you're referring to as the manifold, it's got the power valve bolted to the left hand side, the auto doesn't. Both VG and VE have a power valve. Might want to throw some new injectors in the rear rail if you don't plan on pulling the plenum later. Maybe the knock sensor as well.. Course that'll run you another day or so and about $450 extra..
Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Hectic
Everything you need is on the parts car. The plenum is what you're referring to as the manifold, it's got the power valve bolted to the left hand side, the auto doesn't. Both VG and VE have a power valve. Might want to throw some new injectors in the rear rail if you don't plan on pulling the plenum later. Maybe the knock sensor as well.. Course that'll run you another day or so and about $450 extra..
I'm not sure you realize that this car was also an auto to 5-spd swap car previously. So I don't know if he ever replaced the manifold. Either way, that will come later. Here's the progress today:

Pic of the car with both axles out:

Yay, no more axles:

One of the control arm bolts I stripped to hell... (still on the car, but we worked around)

The axles look and feel surprisingly good...none of the boots have any cracks:
Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I can has?

Getting ready:
Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=94maxshima;6133174]Gots the torque wrench and FSM! Also, I knew the VE-5's had a variable intake manfold, and I had planned on getting one soon. But is it a necessity that it be done with the swap? Also, is there any visible difference from the outside?

The donor car doesnt have the power valve (evidenced from pic#3 above).Even if you installed the Variable Intake Manifold your current harness doesnt have the connector for the variable intake (located around the EGR area).

You would need to replace the harness or install a switching mechanism to do it manually. (I think Aaron92SE has it on his car)

Try to replace BOTH axle seals on the tranny since it's more difficult with the tranny installed.

If I recall correctly, I bel. the driver side axle is supposed to have a small cap/cover on the end that goes into the tranny. It doesnt seem to be visible in the pictures.

Double check the tranny bolts carefully as it's easy to mixx it all up.

Dont forget the holes UNDER the insulation by the brake pedal.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
The donor car doesnt have the power valve (evidenced from pic#3 above).Even if you installed the Variable Intake Manifold your current harness doesnt have the connector for the variable intake (located around the EGR area).

You would need to replace the harness or install a switching mechanism to do it manually. (I think Aaron92SE has it on his car)

Try to replace BOTH axle seals on the tranny since it's more difficult with the tranny installed.

If I recall correctly, I bel. the driver side axle is supposed to have a small cap/cover on the end that goes into the tranny. It doesnt seem to be visible in the pictures.

Double check the tranny bolts carefully as it's easy to mixx it all up.

Dont forget the holes UNDER the insulation by the brake pedal.

Good luck
Yeah, the power valve, harness, VIM, knock sensor, and phenoilic intake spacers are another project in itself. Hmm... I haven't seen anything, and nothing came off of the end of the drivers side axle... there is a circlip that is on the end... but that is all.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I can has?

Hey. I was just reading up (It was for a 4th gen though) And realized that I have non-ABS axles, but my car is ABS. I presume I will be needing to buy ABS 5-speed axles in the future?...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Hey. I was just reading up (It was for a 4th gen though) And realized that I have non-ABS axles, but my car is ABS. I presume I will be needing to buy ABS 5-speed axles in the future?...
If you want your abs to work,yes you need abs axles,or you might be able to tap the abs rings on your current axles onto your non-abs axles..
Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
If you want your abs to work,yes you need abs axles,or you might be able to tap the abs rings on your current axles onto your non-abs axles..
Yeah. I may look into that once I get them out, if not I guess I'll just have to run with no ABS for a little while until ABS axles get here. (Since she is my daily driver)

Today went pretty good, I have the starter, shifter, shifter brackets, support rod, control rod, and all clutch lines/ slave cylinder lines off. I was reading earlier and I believe someone mentioned that I should ditch all of the stock clutch lines and just run a stainless steel one. Is there any benefit to that? Why does the stock setup have all of those twisties and turnies?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
STFU n00b!

Hey.. if those control arms are straight, mind sending me one of them and maybe the dead ball joint? I have a trick up my sleeve and need a control arm to play with.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Hey.. if those control arms are straight, mind sending me one of them and maybe the dead ball joint? I have a trick up my sleeve and need a control arm to play with.

Hmmmmm, details????
Old 01-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I can has?

Sure... pretty sure they were both unaffected... these maximas can take a hit I swear... I'll send you the drivers side stuff. Just pay for shipping, I won't be needing it.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 AM

Do tell...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i wanna do this to my car..just gottafind the new tranny and wat nots..
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by maximaboy88
i wanna do this to my car..just gottafind the new tranny and wat nots..

Who cares?

Enough with the useless post whoring.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Yeah, the power valve, harness, VIM, knock sensor, and phenoilic intake spacers are another project in itself. Hmm... I haven't seen anything, and nothing came off of the end of the drivers side axle... there is a circlip that is on the end... but that is all.

If you inspect the pass. side axle that goes into the tranny, you will notice it has a little cover, kinda like a dust cover or something. I THINK that the driver's side (part that goes into the tranny) has a similiar cover which doesnt seem to be on the axle in the picture.