3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Best Super White Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 12:41 AM

I've seen some cars around with some pretty nice looking Super White Bulbs in them...Not the bad *** HIDs, but just some pretty decent aftermarket bulbs that have been put in. I wanted to know if anyone had their $.02 on what the best looking 9004 bulb is for the Maxima. I've seen a few ads for 9004 bulbs claiming 80/100 watts instead of the stock 45/65. (With the recommendation for a headlight harness of course) But I just want to know what the brightest bulbs I can get with out having to add another lead to my battery(amps putting enough stress on it as it is). Will I see any noticable difference if I go with something like PIAAs instead of a generic brand? Or am I just paying for the name? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:58 AM

bulbs

hmm.. i really never had experience with a lot of different brands, but what i have is APC Plasma whites, tho they are not street legal i still have them on my car, like around where i live, the police dont seem to car, as long as i keep my corner lights origher or white, not blue, or anything ricey like that, um.. you can pretty much buy any hyper white bulbs for about 40 bucks or less, 40 is what i would pay for them, i either recommend, APC, or something else that is around 80/100 watts, because they are really bright, Piaa, is just a waste of money, and when u do get bulbs are thare higher watt, just go to any local auto parts store, and buy two new 9004 wire harness's so the harneess's will not melt on u, the stock ones will.

remember when its time to get ur car state inspected replace the bulbs with the stock ones you had before, because the APC bulbs will not pass Test, because they are not DOT approved
Old 07-29-2001, 08:14 PM

don't buy piaa bulbs, they are a waste of money!!!

i have some nokya arctic whites that i bought at a local import shop here in town for like 40 bucks and they look sweet!!! i have had them for about 5 months w/out a new harness. i do plan on getting an APC harness soon though before my stock ones melt.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:26 PM

Re: bulbs

Originally posted by mykizism
hmm.. i really never had experience with a lot of different brands, but what i have is APC Plasma whites, tho they are not street legal i still have them on my car, like around where i live, the police dont seem to car, as long as i keep my corner lights origher or white, not blue, or anything ricey like that, um.. you can pretty much buy any hyper white bulbs for about 40 bucks or less, 40 is what i would pay for them, i either recommend, APC, or something else that is around 80/100 watts, because they are really bright, Piaa, is just a waste of money, and when u do get bulbs are thare higher watt, just go to any local auto parts store, and buy two new 9004 wire harness's so the harneess's will not melt on u, the stock ones will.

remember when its time to get ur car state inspected replace the bulbs with the stock ones you had before, because the APC bulbs will not pass Test, because they are not DOT approved
Where can I get the APC Plasma whites? Can I order them online? Or do auto shops cary them? As far as buying two new wire harness's...How much would that run me, and how hard are they to install. I'm a newbie here and don't have much experience putting things like that together. Would I have to run anohter lead to my battery? Anyone out there with a website? I'm in the dark. (Hopefully some new bulbs will help) :P
Old 07-29-2001, 10:41 PM

i used to have piaa super whites, and yes they are pricey. they are worth it in quality though. i changed to xenon gas filled bulbs about 3 months ago. the only reason why i changed was to have more of a bluish light instead of white. i had the piaa's for about 2 years and the xenon for 3 months and i've never had any melting at the wiring harness. i don't think they're necessary.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Bucktown
i used to have piaa super whites, and yes they are pricey. they are worth it in quality though. i changed to xenon gas filled bulbs about 3 months ago. the only reason why i changed was to have more of a bluish light instead of white. i had the piaa's for about 2 years and the xenon for 3 months and i've never had any melting at the wiring harness. i don't think they're necessary.
What wattage were your PIAA super whites? Were they rated over the stock and you still didn't have any melting at your wiring harness? I'm starting to question the whole thing about buying a wire harness...It seems that no one uses them, and everything still works fine. I've heard a little about Xenon filled bulbs too. How much more did you pay for your Xenon filled bulbs?
Old 07-29-2001, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by D & S

What wattage were your PIAA super whites? Were they rated over the stock and you still didn't have any melting at your wiring harness? I'm starting to question the whole thing about buying a wire harness...It seems that no one uses them, and everything still works fine. I've heard a little about Xenon filled bulbs too. How much more did you pay for your Xenon filled bulbs?
i had piaa platnium series super whites. the wattage was 65/45 but the box says they "perform like 110/85". i payed about $30 for the xenon filled bulbs.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:07 AM

well its like this

ok, its like this APC bulbs can be bought from Nopi.com
they are decent price and they are bright, i forgot the watts on them but they are not legal.

Aftermarket harness wires are cheap, any local auto parts store will have them, like Auto zone or so, they are about 3.99 each, you do not have to replace them right away, but in time the APC bulbs will melt the stock plastic wire harness.

It is very easy to replace the harness all you do is cut, the stock one off, then there are 3 wires on the harness, just match them up to the new one u bought, remember to buy a wire crimps or something of that matter to connect the new wire, to the stock wire, crimp them or use some other thing that will keep them attached.

other than that Piaa offer bulbs that cost a lot and do about the same thing as the APC, um there are many other brands like naxos and others that may to be as good as APC or something, but my friends have Naxos, Hyper industries, and something else, and none of their cars are as bright as mine. And they are about the same price as mine. so i think APC is good enough
Old 07-30-2001, 12:11 AM

oh yeah i forgot

i forgot to tell you wire harness's arent really anything just the stock ones are made of cheap plastic the after market ones from auto zone or where ever dont melt as easy.

and as for melting.. you really DONT need them unless you do a lot of night driving like i do, i usually drive for about 2 hours straight at night, so that could heat the bulbs enought to melt the stock harness, after i replaced mine they are fine..

but harness's are nothing anyways just 3 bucks, 3 wires to re crimp, thats about it.. nothing much to it, APC does offer their own harness wires for a cost that isnt really feasible
Old 07-30-2001, 12:17 AM

Re: well its like this

Originally posted by mykizism
ok, its like this APC bulbs can be bought from Nopi.com
they are decent price and they are bright, i forgot the watts on them but they are not legal.

Aftermarket harness wires are cheap, any local auto parts store will have them, like Auto zone or so, they are about 3.99 each, you do not have to replace them right away, but in time the APC bulbs will melt the stock plastic wire harness.

It is very easy to replace the harness all you do is cut, the stock one off, then there are 3 wires on the harness, just match them up to the new one u bought, remember to buy a wire crimps or something of that matter to connect the new wire, to the stock wire, crimp them or use some other thing that will keep them attached.

other than that Piaa offer bulbs that cost a lot and do about the same thing as the APC, um there are many other brands like naxos and others that may to be as good as APC or something, but my friends have Naxos, Hyper industries, and something else, and none of their cars are as bright as mine. And they are about the same price as mine. so i think APC is good enough
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help. Going to try and upgrade my bulbs ASAP now.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:05 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

For a 1 minute total time to replace, Phillips Blue Vision headlights are the best. They put out identical light to regular PIAA 9004 superwhite bulbs (which are 45/65W, the same as stock), and only cost about $20 for the pair at KMart.

If you go upgraded harnessess, the choices become much broader but much ricier. If you want nice white light, ante up $20 and get the Blue Visions.......
Old 07-30-2001, 07:34 AM

phillips blue visions

the philips blue visions are much better than the stock bulbs, and i would tell anyone that is getting piaa bulbs to get the phillips instead. but, they don't have that blueish tint that everyone is looking for. i replaced mine for the nokya bulbs b/c i wanted more of an "HID" look.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:09 PM

I know

The ones I sell...
look at my other post.

ALL Bulbs
Old 08-01-2001, 12:34 AM

Re: phillips blue visions

Originally posted by matt92gxe
the philips blue visions are much better than the stock bulbs, and i would tell anyone that is getting piaa bulbs to get the phillips instead. but, they don't have that blueish tint that everyone is looking for. i replaced mine for the nokya bulbs b/c i wanted more of an "HID" look.
I went ahead and bought the Phillips Blue Visions today at a Kmart near me and put them in. They do look nice, especialy for only $20. They are just a temporary solution until I find the right "not quite street legal" bulbs for me. I definitly want something that is going to put out much more than stock wattage. I think Matt may have sold me on the APCs. But I'm still looking around. Thanx.