3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I hate Pot-holes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 AM

I hate Pot-holes!

So the car has been slightly leaning for awhile now which I just thought was due to the strut being blown out after I hit a stupid local pot hole in the road. I was under the car the other day putting in the alternator and noticed that the spring was broken in half as well! This must have happened recently because I'm sure I would have seen that before. Does anybody know if you can hold the city liable for this kind of thing? This is going to cost me alot of money now to get a new set of struts and springs, I think they should have to pay for it when someone's car gets damaged due to the roads being f'ed up. Also could it just be leaning because of the spring and there's nothing wrong with the strut? it has about an inch or two of movement (slop) in it before it stops. I'm guessing I'll need to replace them both?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I can't believe it took you this long to actually look under the car.

What kind of springs do you have?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

sounds like the strut may need to be replaced as well...

how long ago did the pot hole incident happen? usually town/county/state will pay for repairs provided there was a report filed to document the incident. i had this happen on my old celica... blown tire, rim damage etc. took lots of pics of said hole and the damage. filed a report with the township. i then paid for the repairs out of pocket and submitted receipts for reimbursement.

sounds to me like you've waited and probably have no recourse...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I can't believe it took you this long to actually look under the car.

What kind of springs do you have?
Well I'm not positive it wasn't like that before but I've been in there a few times since and never noticed the spring was toast. It probably broke because the strut wasn't helping support the weight. They're Sprint's 2 inch lowering.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
98 SE

I think you need to hold Sprint liable. Ask for replacement springs...don't mention the pothole incident although manufacturers should make products that can withstand normal use. I'd assume potholes in Tacoma might be normal due to all of the rain, freezing and thawing you see.

Trying to get a local government to pay for your broken, aftermarket, high performance add-on parts seems like a dream.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Jon94SE
Well I'm not positive it wasn't like that before but I've been in there a few times since and never noticed the spring was toast. It probably broke because the strut wasn't helping support the weight. They're Sprint's 2 inch lowering.

IIRC Sprint springs have a limited lifetime warranty,you may want to email the company about this issue..
Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 AM

what color are your sprints ?
mine are blue and like 5 years old
i have also seen red ones and i dont think any have emblems?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM

They are blue
Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

dude your using sprint springs around here in washington lolz hows the ride? I have eibachs and i think that is low enough for maxima around these parts. especailly going over the giant speed bumps we have here.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 AM

well i know over here due to ice storm some years back they actually made it so that the city was no longer liable for stuff since the roads were SO messed due to that, so u might want to look into it i assume it could vary from city to city. plus keep in mind u would probably spend more on a layer than the actual repair. besides that's what insurance is for. if u have any mechanically incline u can do the job yourself it's not hard just time consuming and that would save you a lot of $$$
also...
i have eibach springs and my car sittin LOW my cross member is only like about 4" off the ground and my point being is that when i got my max i had new struts put on and within maybe 6 months the were going out and thats with avoiding pot holes and stuff. so keep in mind if u do change them upgrade OEM struts were not meant to sit LOW
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 PM

Yeah my car is dropped 2" which isn't that bad for regular driving around here, but when this car hits pot holes or whatever it hits HARD... When I'm driving other cars around here I can hit the same spot in the road and barely feel it. Nowadays I actually have all the spots that I need to avoid memorized.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:12 AM

I would call sprint, if the spring broke and your wheel survived, the spring is a POS! Defects happen you know.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
dude your using sprint springs around here in washington lolz hows the ride? I have eibachs and i think that is low enough for maxima around these parts. especailly going over the giant speed bumps we have here.
It is pretty rough. I'm thinking about buying a set of Intrax off somebody here. I wouldn't mind lifting the car up just a little bit anyway. And yeah TWIN I suppose I could try and get a set of springs out of Sprint but I seriously doubt they'd even hook it up. I'd probably have to go through a bunch of S*** and arguing, not really worth it to me. At this point I might as well switch to the Intrax
Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chris91SE
............i then paid for the repairs out of pocket and submitted receipts for reimbursement. ...
and did you ever get reimbursed?