3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

retrofitting E60 projectors into E36 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
damn you!!! didn't take you long for you to get ahead of me on the projector retrofit huh? what projectors are you using? also do you have pics of the back side of those projectors already installed in the housing's, curious to see how that turned out. as for me, i finally got the drivers side E60 headlight that i was missing for my retrofit. when i do have time i will continue with the process but right now i can't since im going to school and work and now i have to go to Atlanta, GA for training for BMW.
A you inspired me to do so! But What I think Michael Had the same Idea before, when he had his last maxima. I know a few week back i was indenial with the e36 swap but after owning my first set of projector i'll man up and say there great. I mean the lighting output is on both sides of the road and ahead of me and the best part is i am not blinding nor glaring other drivers. Ive been doing alot of research on this for a minute and veiwed most of the cars that came oem with projectors and has full capability of hi/lo beams without altering the housing too much. So them it became easy it was a toss up between lexus es300 or infiniti j30 dual projector headlights both suitable for being retrofitted into the stock housing with minor alteration. Even with the maxs oem headlight glass in the picture the cut off line is still visiable but isn't as intense as if a euro glass would improve 60% of the lighting output. I got tired of waiting for fab work for my car and wife complaining about space in the garage i put back my vg30 and starting driving it. 8months of not driving my maxima is too long to wait. i'm gonna get myself a welder and practice doing it myself i could eliminate alot of stuff in the long run like money and other stuff that comes along the way. But thats for another thread. So after all was said was done i ran into another problem my projectors were haolgen projectors not xenon problem! Because my d2s bulbs did not fit into the projector itself. So them i remembered a few years back i purchased a dremmel that elimated alot of questions. I had took measurments of the height and width of the bulb and including the d2s bulb holder and figure i need to cut into the bowl approximately 1/2" to get the right geometry of the output of were the light is going to be aimed. on the road. but in the end as you can see i acheived that.

ill Get some pic once im done with them i still have to use some fiber glass on the backside of the housing to keep water and debri out. I will be using fiberglass to close up any holes.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
heresmymind

just buy some cheap d2s projectors. e55s (bixenon) are 95. even valeo h7/d2s are like 60$. they wont be right putting the hid in the halogen.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:55 AM

i already have the d2s mated into the projectors already and the lighting output is great all i need is to get ahold of a pair of euro clear glass.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I retrofitted an E60 into my garage the other day lol. And your lights look good by the way, its nice to see people who are still into doing custom stuff around here, besides the usual guys.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
read before you quote on somethin' "i said i need some clear euro headlight covers to finish up" And no it's not bad at all i still get the cutoff line just not as razor sharp as a it could be if it was mated to the euro covers. Simply saying

i read that part i. was just saying that because i thought that you wanted the sharp cutoff, and that you couldnt' acheive that by just changing the covers alone(to help the cut off and lights to look good as well)
Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 AM

got ya i guess communication era somewhere
Old 05-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
A you inspired me to do so! But What I think Michael Had the same Idea before, when he had his last maxima. I know a few week back i was indenial with the e36 swap but after owning my first set of projector i'll man up and say there great. I mean the lighting output is on both sides of the road and ahead of me and the best part is i am not blinding nor glaring other drivers. Ive been doing alot of research on this for a minute and veiwed most of the cars that came oem with projectors and has full capability of hi/lo beams without altering the housing too much. So them it became easy it was a toss up between lexus es300 or infiniti j30 dual projector headlights both suitable for being retrofitted into the stock housing with minor alteration. Even with the maxs oem headlight glass in the picture the cut off line is still visiable but isn't as intense as if a euro glass would improve 60% of the lighting output. I got tired of waiting for fab work for my car and wife complaining about space in the garage i put back my vg30 and starting driving it. 8months of not driving my maxima is too long to wait. i'm gonna get myself a welder and practice doing it myself i could eliminate alot of stuff in the long run like money and other stuff that comes along the way. But thats for another thread. So after all was said was done i ran into another problem my projectors were haolgen projectors not xenon problem! Because my d2s bulbs did not fit into the projector itself. So them i remembered a few years back i purchased a dremmel that elimated alot of questions. I had took measurments of the height and width of the bulb and including the d2s bulb holder and figure i need to cut into the bowl approximately 1/2" to get the right geometry of the output of were the light is going to be aimed. on the road. but in the end as you can see i acheived that.

ill Get some pic once im done with them i still have to use some fiber glass on the backside of the housing to keep water and debri out. I will be using fiberglass to close up any holes.
thanks but someone else did it way before me and i think Michael wasn't the only one. and im pretty sure Michael knows who i am talking about.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
I retrofitted an E60 into my garage the other day lol. And your lights look good by the way, its nice to see people who are still into doing custom stuff around here, besides the usual guys.
let me know when you start having problems with the E60 cuz i program those cars all day long. also what color is the screen for your Radio, Climate Controls, etc.? if it has the black background then you need to get the car updated with version 25.01 at the BMW dealer.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
heresmymind

take some pics of the output. what bulbs/ballast are you using? Ill take a picture of my e55's with 3000k phillips bulbs, and 3rd gen hella ballast.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

let me know when you start having problems with the E60 cuz i program those cars all day long. also what color is the screen for your Radio, Climate Controls, etc.? if it has the black background then you need to get the car updated with version 25.01 at the BMW dealer.
not sure Ill take a look at it, are software updates covered under warrenty?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
not sure Ill take a look at it, are software updates covered under warrenty?
whenever you service your car and for some reason a check engine light, srs light, your radio may stop working or anything thats electronics, they will automatically cover it if its under warranty and then they have to program the whole car cuz all the modules in the car use fiber optics and so you have to get it updated when ever they have to change a module in your car. let me know if i have confused you.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Alex_V

Maxima's do not have fiber optics. Their electronics are picky though.

~Alex

Old 05-03-2007, 06:03 PM

1. are you going to kill me and then chop me up and feed me to animals?
2. i only have a pair for me and its kinda hard to get another set from the warranty dept. that they don't have to return to BMW of North America.

I only cut up cars.... Not humans.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 AM
sta

I know this may seem off topic, but where can you get those euro headlights like everyone on here has. I think they look alot better than the stock ones and I want to put some on, but I have no idea what they are called or anything. I'm guessing E36's? Also is there any custom mod work you have to do to get them to fit?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by sta
I know this may seem off topic, ..............?

...u must be more specific main......Technically the lights i have are called euro headlights?
and i doubt ur talkin about them....and yes....the e36s require custom work to retro fit them...mine are just bolt ons...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
sta

sorry about that, i meant the e36's i guess. those are the older BMW lights right? Yours are pretty clean though, where'd you get those and how much were they? Also to the guy who is working on his lights, they look really good so far, hopefully one day I can customize some lights like that for my max. I'm ready to see some finished pictures
Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
heresmymind

93-98 bmw 325 series headlights e36's. cheapest are stock about 50$ shipped. then zkw+depo+hella are the next ones u want. none of that ebay ****

Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by goon9
I only cut up cars.... Not humans.
awesome, then how far are you from Atlanta?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Maxima's do not have fiber optics. Their electronics are picky though.

~Alex
i hope you read my last few posts about fiber optics Alex? obviously 3rd gens don't have fiber optics, i was referring that to N34JZ about his new BMW 525i (E60).
Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 PM

awesome, then how far are you from Atlanta?
45 minutes NE.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:29 PM

45 minutes NE.
damn i have to drive about 45min. south of the airport to get the BMW training school.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:19 PM

wow, it has been awhile since i last updated this thread about my retrofit. well, this past saturday and sunday i managed to put all the components together and it came out better than i have expected. all i have left to do is just make a shroud to cover the projector and i will be almost done with the retrofit. then i will install the CCFL angel eyes and try to install the euro spec maxima lens onto the E36 housing so that it can be a flush install. i will posting the pics pretty soon.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 PM

ok, here are the pics:

Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 PM

nice, can't wait to see it.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Max In Process

for a price would you do this for someone
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by tigga_tha_don
for a price would you do this for someone
if the price sounds good then yes i would.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 PM

How are you going to seal it from dust, water, etc?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well.. do they make clear RTV? OE are sealed with some sort of putty or silicone.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
well.. do they make clear RTV? OE are sealed with some sort of putty or silicone.
I meant the gap between the two housings.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 PM
heresmymind

All of that should be sealed and covored up all the way back to the ingniter attached to the bulb. the best way to do that is to use PVC piping and using a rubber boot at the end. otherwards your headlights WILL fog.

-B

those are e55 projectors and half of the plastic you have on those is not necc. those are only used with the leveling motors and turning motors which you wont use. to save space i reccomend (spelling) using JUST the projector itself. it will save space and make it easier to mount/seal.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by heresmymind
All of that should be sealed and covored up all the way back to the ingniter attached to the bulb. the best way to do that is to use PVC piping and using a rubber boot at the end. otherwards your headlights WILL fog.

-B

those are e55 projectors and half of the plastic you have on those is not necc. those are only used with the leveling motors and turning motors which you wont use. to save space i reccomend (spelling) using JUST the projector itself. it will save space and make it easier to mount/seal.
of course i will seal them. and those are E60 BMW projectors not E55. and yes i know i will not use the rest of the crap thats on it since my car does not all of the necessary sensors and modules under the car and in the cabin that adjusts the xenons like the E60's. the only thing i will use is the connector for the bi-xenon. im trying to leave the ignitor inside since it will be attached to the back side of the projector and have the ballast attached right behind it since it will seal the whole thing right up. i don't know if i will end up using the PVC piping and a boot since the ballast that i am using has a big a$$ o-ring to seal the rest of the headlight. im currently using factory Nissan Murano's ballast and ignitors with 12000k bulbs. i will end up using the regular BMW xenon bulbs and the 12000k bulbs.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM

when i figure it out, i will let you know and you will see pics of it as well. i really can't say what exactly im gonna use to cover it up cuz im not dumb enough to just install them like that on my car and expect that dirt and water won't get in there cuz then i just did all that work for nothing.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
heresmymind

thank god for not going with the 12000k. i parked next to a acura TL which actually has the nicest bixenon projectors out there at the moment and he put in 10000k because he said his stock ones weren't blue enough ><. and the E60 projectors are the same as the e55s minus the bulb holder and the lens holder. the bowls are identical. i used to have them in my e36s but i wanted wider for a low beam and ended up with a TSX, i highly recommend buying a clear lens to make for a sharper cleaner cut off. clear lenses are known to make the bmw e55 e46 e39 and e60 projectors have wider output with more of an even spread. unfort hella projectors have a slight hot spot in the center. if you have any questions about wire harnesses for the high beams and stuff like that or any other hid question feel free to pm or AIM me.

-B

Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM

thank god for not going with the 12000k. i parked next to a acura TL which actually has the nicest bixenon projectors out there at the moment and he put in 10000k because he said his stock ones weren't blue enough ><. and the E60 projectors are the same as the e55s minus the bulb holder and the lens holder. the bowls are identical. i used to have them in my e36s but i wanted wider for a low beam and ended up with a TSX, i highly recommend buying a clear lens to make for a sharper cleaner cut off. clear lenses are known to make the bmw e55 e46 e39 and e60 projectors have wider output with more of an even spread. unfort hella projectors have a slight hot spot in the center. if you have any questions about wire harnesses for the high beams and stuff like that or any other hid question feel free to pm or AIM me.

-B
clear lens is already on there but its the plastic one and im gonna change that anyway. im getting the wiring diagrams on these projectors from my job but i'll keep in mind of asking you. also, where in the world are getting E55 from? i checked my BMW training books and i don't see an E55 chassis in there. are you sure its not Mercedes Benz that you are confusing it with? the reasing i am currently using the 12000k bulbs right now is to have the color effect as if i had projectors but from far away though. i will not use them since the projector will give me that color effect with the regular BMW xenon bulbs.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
heresmymind

(hella) E55 projectors are the bixenon projectors used in Mercedes bmw x5s and a few other cars. search them on ebay. And i am refering to clear lenses on the projectors them selves NOT the headlight. you have freshnal lenses on them stock. here are 2 comparison pics:

that is your stock output with a fresnal lens

this is a clear lens swap

both are color modded

-B

Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 PM

(hella) E55 projectors are the bixenon projectors used in Mercedes bmw x5s and a few other cars. search them on ebay. And i am refering to clear lenses on the projectors them selves NOT the headlight. you have freshnal lenses on them stock. here are 2 comparison pics:

that is your stock output with a fresnal lens

this is a clear lens swap

both are color modded

-B
well, E55 doesn't exist for BMW. about the lens, im not gonna touch that. i'll leave that as is. if i wanted to mod the lens then i would've gone with the way you modded yours. but instead i got the complete E60 headlights almost for free at BMW since i work there.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM

nice!!!!!! what you have in there?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by pest2001
damn you Will!!! lol. nice job on the retrofit. its going to be a year and i haven't finished this damn thing. are those the TSX projectors? however i just retrofitted FX35 18x8 rims on my car.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 AM

good work

Quick Reply: retrofitting E60 projectors into E36 headlights