3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Strange hesitation problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:22 PM

Strange hesitation problem.

When in any gear if I stomp on it at 2000-2900rpms it hesitates sometimes shudders bad. ???? Would an injector do that? No vacum leaks...
Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Replace the taillights...
Old 02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
94c Big Max

ECU j/k j.k

yup definitely something related to air/vacuum.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 PM
94c Big Max

btw, you changed your steering rack. How did you bleed your PS fluid? You release the high pressure hoses at the bottom, catch all the fluid, hook back the hoses, refill, turn on ignition, crack the ps reservoir cap open and turn the steering wheel left and right? I know this sound kinda weird but are there any bleeder valve on the pump?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 PM

sounds like bad spark plug wires, look under the hood at night. and check for sparks. vaccum leak would probably make it fall on its face. could be an injector, but you would notice the stumble even when revving while idling.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

might be a leaky O-ring on an injector. I had a similiar problem only it was more consistent and it was a O-ring that was torn up and causing it to flood that cylinder. But I would say it sounds injector related somehow.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 AM

only does it on a load. Never on slow acceleration. Never did change the wires, I'll have to check.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Similar hesitation problem

Hello!
I am having serious issues with my Maxima.
1989 Maxima V6 3.0L engine.

The car hesitates sometimes in low rpm. It also hesitated at 50 mph getting on the autoroute. The car also drops to 500 rpm and idle isn't stable like going from 500 to 1000 back to 500 rpms at a red light.

If I shift the car in park or neutral, I can floor the car with no problems. If I put the car in neutral or park at a red light when the problem is happening the car suddenly idles fine and normally. The problem is intermittent and happens whether it is hot or cold outside or if the car is hot or cold.

The car will run fine sometimes for many hours and suddenly it will start hesitating the next day. It usually happens at low rpms and speeds but as I mentioned it did happen during accelaration at 50 mph.

Here is what was changed:
Spark Plug Cables
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Added injector cleaner in fuel.

bad gas (tried different gas tations)

Problem still happens randomly.

Here is what I found could be the problem by surfing on forums.
coolant temperature sensor
Mass airflow sensor
O2 sensor
knock sensor
transmission control module
clean pcv valve
IAC Valve clean
fuel pump
wire connections
valves or vacuums
worn rings in engine
faulty injector(s)
transmission

I don't want to keep spending money for nothing. Anyone have an idea what is causing this to happen intermittently? I did not try cleaning anything yet.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

check the coolant temp sensor. It could be bad, or its connector. replace both its not that expensive.

~ALEX
Old 02-09-2007, 04:13 AM
mod or sell?

sounds to me like injectors. check the resistance on each one and see if any are out of spec
Old 02-09-2007, 09:01 AM

I had a somewhat similar problem and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump relay. It tested O.K., but seemed to lose contact at random times. Find another relay in the car of the same color and switch them and see if the problem changes. You may also have two relays, a fuel pump and a fuel cutoff, don't know. Try both, one at a time.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm having the exact same problem out of my 90 maxima. I've replaced the plugs, wires, checked fuel pressure @ idle and underload when the spuddering occurs but the fuel pressure is still steady. No issues there. I checked the TPS and noticed one thing. When the TPS is at .82 Volts or higher I hear a buzzing noise. Haven't located where its coming from yet but I hear it or if I disconnect both connectors to the TPS I will hear the same buzzing sound as well. I'm concerned if this may be a problem. I'm gonna keep trying to find that noise. Any input from anybody???
Old 02-10-2007, 11:02 PM

I had a similar problem when I first got my Maxima - hesitating under load, esp going up a steep-ish hill and changing from 3rd to 2nd.

In the end, it was the O2 sensor. You can test that by unplugging it (via plug in engine compartment between firewall and tranny), and driving it to see if you still have the same problem.

m
Old 02-11-2007, 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=tecom]Hello!
issues 1989 Maxima V6 3.0L engine.
The car also drops to 500 rpm at a red light.endqoute

dont automatics usaully drop rpms to like 5-600rpm when stopped in drive after a few seconds?i think its for fuel economy
Old 02-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can someone help?

Sorry for jacking the thread!

I am having serious issues with my Maxima.
1989 Maxima V6 3.0L engine Automatic with retrofitted A/C.

The car hesitates sometimes in low rpm. It also hesitated at 50 mph getting on the autoroute. The car also drops to 500 rpm and idle isn't stable like going from 500 to 1000 back to 500 rpms at a red light.

If I shift the car in park or neutral, I can floor the car with no problems. If I put the car in neutral or park at a red light when the problem is happening the car suddenly idles fine and normally. The problem is intermittent and happens whether it is hot or cold outside or if the car is hot or cold.

The car will run fine sometimes for many hours and suddenly it will start hesitating the next day. It usually happens at low rpms and speeds but as I mentioned it did happen during accelaration at 50 mph.

Update!!!!!!
Hesitation has started happening in Neutral also. The hesitation occured on the autoroute at 90 mph!!
The problem is getting worse and worse but the car does NOT stall.
Could it simply be the fuel pump now??

Here is what was changed:
Spark Plug Cables
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Added injector cleaner in fuel.

bad gas (tried different gas tations)

Problem still happens randomly.

Here is what I found could be the problem by surfing on forums.
coolant temperature sensor
Mass airflow sensor
O2 sensor
knock sensor
transmission control module
clean pcv valve
IAC Valve clean
fuel pump
wire connections
valves or vacuums
worn rings in engine
faulty injector(s)
transmission

I don't want to keep spending money for nothing. Anyone have an idea what is causing this to happen intermittently? I did not try cleaning anything yet.

Quote me if you are answering my problem! Thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:44 PM
kthxbye2u

i had this happen a coupla months ago... and it happened tonight

STORY:

stop sign... started slow, shifted into 2nd, stepped on it a little more and it BUCKED, pushed in the clutch... was bouncing around about 500 to 700 rpm,

put it back into 2nd little rough...

depressed the clutch again

back to bouncing from 500 to 700 rpm, also.... VTC's are clacking away...

i also have a hesitation problem under a load.... it did it tonight also... stepped on it in 2nd, it just feels like it wanted to go. and it kinda spudders and THEN goes

just when i thought everything was going well

my symptoms are similar to GOON's sooo i added and maybe we'll all get one big answer!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Response

Here is the response I got from another forum after I posted the same message:

"I had a similar problem with my maxima ... the engine would idle oddly. The rpm's were all over the place. It also had the issues accelerating that you talked about. Then one day during a normal drive home the engine's rpm's shot up and the car stopped moving. Apparently the torque converter shattered into hundreds of pieces. The mechanic said it was amazing it had lasted that long. A rebuilt transmission did the trick and it runs like a dream now. best of luck"

Read torque converter info here:
http://www.forparts.com/ICtransmissi...ostics1.01.htm
Old 02-11-2007, 08:56 PM
kthxbye2u

thats doesnt help my problem lol... only you AUTO dudes.... i have a dang VE5

but i aint complaining
"heeey"
(just saw "Norbit" movie)
Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Alex_V

Like I said before its probably the CTS if its not down on much power and hunts for idle. My CTS was good but the connector was corroded up so it acted like it was bad. I'm going to replace the connector with one I clipped off a jy max and I'll be all set.

Its also worth it to put some connector grease on it to keep it from happening.

~Alex

Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 AM

i got a stupid question, whats a CTS?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by simmo
i got a stupid question, whats a CTS?
Coolant Temperature Sensor
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Since I have not posted 15 replys yet, I was wondering If anyone has heard of my problem? My 91 stalls while idleling and while on the highway going below 100KMH. When it does, it often starts slowing down and won't rev apast 2000RPM until it just stalls out. It always restarts easily but sometimes it still stalls again. I just bought this car from a dealer who won't help me. When I am going 120KMH, it sometimes wants to stall and the revs drop slightly and then surges back to normal. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warmed up. Normally it has plenty of power and never has trouble when full throttle. Sometimes it takes just a minute to restart it so that it runs normal again. Is this a common problem? The air filter is almost new, fluid levels are good and runs nice and smooth. It gets very embarrassing in the city stalled at lights. The other thing is that it can go for hours without stalling, then the next time it will stall every 10 min. If anyone has heard of this and has any possible solution, please let me know.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 AM

This stall might be a bad fuel pump relay. I had a somewhat similar problem and that's what it was. It would always start right up, since restarting reactivated the relay. Don't know if you have one or two relays, but here they are in front of the rear bumper, inside the trunk liner. I could'nt tell by testing. I had to buy a new one and try it (relatively cheap).
Old 02-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Alex_V

ninja- next time try to find a thread that isnt quite have soo many questions being asked. LOL

But it sounds like your maf (mass air flow sensor) is dying. unplug it, and then you can only rev to 2200rpm, but it should drive alot better. If thats the case you can go to the classifieds section and buy one for about $20 plus shipping if no local junkyard has them.

~Alex

Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone tell me where the data port is? I have a scanner but can't find the data port. My scanner says driverside near hood release but I don't see it there, fuese box, nor under the dash. Can anyone tell me where the data port is on the 90 Maxima?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Nizzmax
Can anyone tell me where the data port is? I have a scanner but can't find the data port. My scanner says driverside near hood release but I don't see it there, fuese box, nor under the dash. Can anyone tell me where the data port is on the 90 Maxima?
Is your scanner import OBDI compatible?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes, I have every connector for any car. I just can't find the nissan Consult port. I'm sure if a 90 model car will have an OBD I port but I know it will have consult port.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
mod or sell?

the consult port is by the fuse block on the left of the the steering column.
sometimes it's in the fuse block opening, sometimes it's dangling below the dash
Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tecom
Then one day during a normal drive home the engine's rpm's shot up and the car stopped moving. Apparently the torque converter shattered into hundreds of pieces. The mechanic said it was amazing it had lasted that long. A rebuilt transmission did the trick .....end
yes ive had a torque converter strip out on 2 cars and a 200 converter i did myself twice is way better than letting a shop trick me into 2 trans rebuilds
and 2 coverters with price hikes
how do these mechanics sleep at night? its not like they own the shop
and will make more money off scamming people they are being pimped by the shop owner\industry, paid a base wage to lie and cheat
Old 02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Nizzmax
yes, I have every connector for any car. I just can't find the nissan Consult port. I'm sure if a 90 model car will have an OBD I port but I know it will have consult port.

location..Look around this area...

Old 02-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Excellent photo work. It's pics like that that make it easy for the rest to see where things are. Great job.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by ninjasword71
Since I have not posted 15 replys yet, I was wondering If anyone has heard of my problem? My 91 stalls while idleling and while on the highway going below 100KMH. When it does, it often starts slowing down and won't rev apast 2000RPM until it just stalls out. It always restarts easily but sometimes it still stalls again. I just bought this car from a dealer who won't help me. When I am going 120KMH, it sometimes wants to stall and the revs drop slightly and then surges back to normal. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warmed up. Normally it has plenty of power and never has trouble when full throttle. Sometimes it takes just a minute to restart it so that it runs normal again. Is this a common problem? The air filter is almost new, fluid levels are good and runs nice and smooth. It gets very embarrassing in the city stalled at lights. The other thing is that it can go for hours without stalling, then the next time it will stall every 10 min. If anyone has heard of this and has any possible solution, please let me know.
Hey Ninja, I had the exact same problem except my car would never go past 2000rpms and thats the reason why I got it cheap. My problem ended up being the MAF/Mass Air Flow sensor and got it replaced for a new one that ran about $140 installed at a shop and havin the IACV Idle air control valve adjusted a bit and bam fixed my problem. MAF I should've done myself but too late now.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM

I also suspect the MAF although it was only through lots of reading and you guys nudging me in the right direction. I heard of some people cleaning the connectors. I am not sure if that works too.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:34 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by ninjasword71
Since I have not posted 15 replys yet...
Sweet, how did you get 15 posts in one day?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:16 AM

I had to do some fancy foot work. Now I don't know what to ask to start a new threasd.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:46 PM

check your hoses to the egr and pcv valves. you may not think there is a vaccum leak but be sure none of the hoses have cracks or are hard. they are about a dollar a foot. get 3 feet and a little silicone spray and get to work. be sure to do one hose at a time!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 PM

oh yeah get some electronic cleaner from carquest or napa some place like that and clean your connection to the mass air flow sensor
my .02
Old 02-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the consult port is by the fuse block on the left of the the steering column.
sometimes it's in the fuse block opening, sometimes it's dangling below the dash
this generation OBDI compatable?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
mod or sell?

OBDI is not a real standard like OBDII is.
there are many variations on OBDI connectors and codes, so there is NO generic OBDI code reader.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
OBDI is not a real standard like OBDII is.
there are many variations on OBDI connectors and codes, so there is NO generic OBDI code reader.
what would I need then for my 92 ve? nothing wrong with my car atm, but at times I have wished I knew what to get for it. Does schucks or autozone carry adapters for our car? sry im a n00b, thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Strange hesitation problem.