3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Trading in the Max :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:00 PM

Trading in the Max :(

First off, I know I will probably get a ton of flaming for this, but so be it. I am making some decent money now and can now afford a new car. Been shopping around and test drove a few cars. And I am leaning towards this:

A 07 Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged with a stage 2 kit from GM. Cars loaded with leather, heated seats, manual, power windows and locks, power sunroof, northstar, the works. And gets 29 hwy miles per gallon. I also looked at the new SI and didnt like the torqueless motor. Looked at a WRX and hated the interior. Plus I work for CC and we get supplier pricing with GM. The 100,000 mile 5 year warrenty is kinda nice to. I do have alot of extra parts for the maxima to I will be posting later on for sale if I do go through with this.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM

trader

j/k man everyone has to move on sometime...hell i moved on 100 times....i own a maxima but i never drive it it sits at my moms i usually drive my 3 series or my truck lol......
Old 12-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

good luck with it...I hate car payments but its nice to have a new car sometimes.

who is CC
Old 12-07-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
good luck with it...I hate car payments but its nice to have a new car sometimes.

who is CC
CC= Circuit City
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
CC= Circuit City
oh ok...how do you get supplier pricing from GM? I was thinking it was some car place or something. Its always cool getting parts cheap
Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
oh ok...how do you get supplier pricing from GM? I was thinking it was some car place or something. Its always cool getting parts cheap
We have a deal with them because we get all of our company cars from them
Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

another one bites the dust..

Good luck..
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I can has?

Does anyone notice how Nice the maxima's feel after age? I don't know about anyone else's car. But compared to basically ANY GM (including Caddies and what-not) Chrysler, Ford (hell... any domestic) even some other Japanese auto manufactures that these Nissan's, (3rd Gen Max's in particular) hold up really well. My Doors still shut well, everything on the inside is tight and in working order (ie. Door panels, cup holders, locks, etc. But I drive or get in even a newer chevy and they're just rattly, "loose" feeling if you will, and are just cheaply made. I don't know if that's just auto manufacturing at it's best or not. But I think GM was a step, (or leap) in the wrong direction.
________
Most Durable Vaporizer

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 PM

Thats a chick car. That all I can say.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Donating member? what the?!

I had a buddy who bought a 2000 Z24 Cavlier A/T. I don't know if all "Caveliers" or "Cobalts" as they now call them, have a horrible governer. My buddy's governer cut off the gas at about 108mph. Surely, with the SC hooked up, they've taken that governer out.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 PM

colbalts suck major *** have fun in your plastic box. at least get another nissan if you want a newer car. I hope you know what you're getting into by buying that thing. payments that probably will set you back to the point where you were before you could "afford a new car" and to top it off, you're getting a junk chevy. should have just kept the max and saved your extra money for something worthy (not a new car, more like a house).
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 PM
mod or sell?

it's called ONSTAR not northstar

a new nissan is not much better if any better than a new chevy.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Hectic
colbalts suck major *** have fun in your plastic box. at least get another nissan if you want a newer car. I hope you know what you're getting into by buying that thing. payments that probably will set you back to the point where you were before you could "afford a new car" and to top it off, you're getting a junk chevy. should have just kept the max and saved your extra money for something worthy (not a new car, more like a house).

I never understood the "need" to buy something new, just because it's new. If your max is fine and you like it, then there's no reason to get something new just because you have more cash. Cars are not an investment, and that money will just be sunk into a car that 10 years from now will be in a junkyard. I think nowadays that manufacturers are making "disposable" (cheap) cars, so that you will keep buying new and making payments. That money could definitely be put to better use.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by mszilves

I never understood the "need" to buy something new, just because it's new. If your max is fine and you like it, then there's no reason to get something new just because you have more cash. Cars are not an investment, and that money will just be sunk into a car that 10 years from now will be in a junkyard. I think nowadays that manufacturers are making "disposable" (cheap) cars, so that you will keep buying new and making payments. That money could definitely be put to better use.

Well i figure I can get 2500 for the car now, rather then nothing down the road. I am to the point where i am pouring money into the car for maitience, why not go new with a warrenty. Atleast now I can get some cash for the car and use it.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 PM

I am guessing that you own one to know they suck right? Or just assuming that because its a GM. I am going to go with that your just assuming that. You probably never have even driven one. The ecotech motor got 10 best engines right along with the nissan 3.5. And if you ever have been in one you would see that a new Nissan uses way more plastic then this car. Trust me I know, my mother has a 04 Altima.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:02 PM

Well i figure I can get 2500 for the car now, rather then nothing down the road. I am to the point where i am pouring money into the car for maitience, why not go new with a warrenty. Atleast now I can get some cash for the car and use it.
Sounds like you've at least put some thought into it... and yes, there are tradeoffs going either route. I won't rehash all the pros and cons (I'm sure there are a million threads already), as long as you're making a smart decision, and not an emotional one, all the best to you. I'm not a big fan of the Cobalt, or many of the new car body styles for that matter, but it's whether or not you like it that counts! Do your research, make an informed decision, and good luck with whatever way you decide to go!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 AM

I am guessing that you own one to know they suck right? Or just assuming that because its a GM. I am going to go with that your just assuming that. You probably never have even driven one. The ecotech motor got 10 best engines right along with the nissan 3.5. And if you ever have been in one you would see that a new Nissan uses way more plastic then this car. Trust me I know, my mother has a 04 Altima.
I actually have driven in a cobalt and all i could think about was why anyone would pay their hard earned money to own one. it was a rental, so of course it was a base model and i admit the one you're looking at is nicer and most definitely faster but still, i think you would be making a mistake by buying a new car just because you have extra money now. i said "if anything, buy a new nissan" because imo they are far more attractive and have a better overall image than chevy and its cobalts and aveos. and i was comparing the "plastic box" with your 3rd gen, not newer nissans because all cars are full of plastic nowdays. if you really are pouring money into the max then i understand why you just might want a lower mileage car. but still don't agree a cobalt would be the best choice. the engine may be on the ward's list but hasn't maintained notiriety for the same length of time as the vq. but on the other hand, it's def. more than you can say for the ve. if don't get in and fix your own max and saving 100% on labor, than buying a new car might be the way to go. but if you are doing it because you have the extra money as it seemed from the first post, just keep it!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:50 AM

Maybe move up to a higher gen Max? No matter what, have fun with what you get
Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 AM

Good luck with your new ride & don't let anybody make your decision for you a 5Yr 100,000 mile warranty is awesome!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 AM

Enjoy those have good motors
Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 AM
don't even worry about it

woo hoo for another CC employee! What dep't do you work in @ your store(and what store for that matter)? Don't even worry about all the others who got pissy about your choice of car. Sure, a lot of people here like Nissans better than most other cars, but when your new car starts to need parts they will be a heck of a lot cheaper. I grew up with Chevys/Pontiacs (anyone remember Chevy Celebrity/Pontiac 6000 Wagons?) and they were very easy to work on and parts were cheap/plentiful.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by cmachemer
anyone remember Chevy Celebrity/Pontiac 6000 Wagons?) and they were very easy to work on and parts were cheap/plentiful.
i've known 2 people who owned chevrolet celebs and both had major electrical issues. maybe the reason parts are so cheap and plentiful is because they're so prone to failure and demand is high
Old 12-08-2006, 04:25 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by MrGone
Enjoy those have good motors
Old 12-08-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by cmachemer
woo hoo for another CC employee! What dep't do you work in @ your store(and what store for that matter)? Don't even worry about all the others who got pissy about your choice of car. Sure, a lot of people here like Nissans better than most other cars, but when your new car starts to need parts they will be a heck of a lot cheaper. I grew up with Chevys/Pontiacs (anyone remember Chevy Celebrity/Pontiac 6000 Wagons?) and they were very easy to work on and parts were cheap/plentiful.

I work in the Entertainment dept at store 0836 in Maryland.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 AM

Yes, GM makes SOME good cars, but the crapalier...I mean colbalt is not one of them. Think about it, you are going from Nissan's at-the-time flagship to an entry-level chevy on up on the aveo. Do yourself a favor and get something like a year-old GTO for the same price as a new cobalt. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 PM

I think I changed my mind with the car, I am going to test drive a 2003 Acura TL Type-s. Fully loaded black on black leather with navi. for 17995 with 64k miles on it
Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
[img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200612/xmasbowrofl.gif[img]
I felt it was time to break out my Christmas Smilies

Old 12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Donating member? what the?!

I think I changed my mind with the car, I am going to test drive a 2003 Acura TL Type-s. Fully loaded black on black leather with navi. for 17995 with 64k miles on it
sounds better to me! IMO, I think you may have felt somewhat unsatisfied with the Cobalt, even with the SC.
GL with that!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:50 PM

I think you should get a 2002-2003 Nissan Maxima SE. 255 hp. Classic styling. or a 2002 or newer Nissan Altima.

The TL-S is also cool, and pretty fast. 2003 Accord V6s are pretty quick also.

I sat in a Cobalt at the autoshow-it seems solidly built (especially for a domestic), but I would buy a Scion TC if I was looking for a two door. I know it may not be that fast, but it is aggressively/affordably priced. For the dollar, it is one of the most impressive vehicles I've been in.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Good deal, but if I were you I'd go a different route than Fwd...AWD FTW
Take a look at a used EVO or Audi Quattro.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:54 PM

they're good cars. my mom replaced her old 3rd gen with with a new tl in '00. i've spent many an hour driving it. they're quick, quiet and easy to drive. get back to us after you race a ve with it, because although it's a bit faster, it'll really put the 18k upgrade into perspective. if you do buy it, make sure to note if it's had the tranny recall done if the 03's were affected.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:01 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

...and in unrelated news, I've got dibs on your Boston ProSeries comps, probmxstyle. LOL
Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 AM

why would you speed 18k on a car with 64k miles? I'll sell you my 1989 5.0 mustang with just over 55k miles. or even sell you my '99 infiniti g20t(best car I have ever owned) for 6k
Old 12-09-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 94 max
why would you speed 18k on a car with 64k miles? I'll sell you my 1989 5.0 mustang with just over 55k miles. or even sell you my '99 infiniti g20t(best car I have ever owned) for 6k

Because negotiating is your friend. Even tho KBB says that cars worth 20k from a dealer. I will be getting it for less then 18k trust me. Oh and the speakers are not going to be for sale, there going in the next car
Old 12-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I can has?

I don't know how many of you have the little subscriptions thing to Consumer Reports, but I was just browsing some new cars and came along the cobalt. Thought some of you (especially one's considering buying) may want to see stats? I took some screen shots so it wouldn't look like ****e if I copied and pasted.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
________
Konrad Km-011

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:25 AM

if anyone is interested, the cars now in the for sale section
Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 AM
I can has?

if anyone is interested, the cars now in the for sale section
Hmm... Link?
________
Paxil Help

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 04-18-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Hmm... Link?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....04#post5406904
Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 PM

Because negotiating is your friend. Even tho KBB says that cars worth 20k from a dealer. I will be getting it for less then 18k trust me. Oh and the speakers are not going to be for sale, there going in the next car
yeah, like you said $17,995. he asked why you would spend 18k. big whopping $5 you saved. at least the maxima has new injectors. from your ad you say the maxima runs and drives great. do what you want, but don't come complaining in a few years when you're stuck in the same position as so many other young people. making payments on a car that isn't even worth half of what you financed it for.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:06 PM

yeah, like you said $17,995. he asked why you would spend 18k. big whopping $5 you saved. at least the maxima has new injectors. from your ad you say the maxima runs and drives great. do what you want, but don't come complaining in a few years when you're stuck in the same position as so many other young people. making payments on a car that isn't even worth half of what you financed it for.

No no 17,995 is before negotiations. They are willing to give me 2000 for my max as trade in and take the car down to 16,995 on top of that. So 14,995 at the end. Which is not bad considering the car is worth 21 grand according to KBB.

Quick Reply: Trading in the Max :(