3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sagging Intrax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sagging Intrax?

I've had my Intrax for about 3 years (guessing). I'd say about 6 months after I got them, they were completely settled and the car sat level. However....., the front tires seemed really 'light'. The car would easily spin it's tires on anything but bone dry pavement, and it understeers increadibly. I've had several alignments done and I have Koni rear struts set to 3 clicks.
I'm getting really sick of this crappy light front-end feeling (it's scary to drive in the rain or snow on the highway at night!).
Basically, I was wondering if anyone else with Intrax has ever experienced this?
I'm thinking about going back to stock rear springs (old ones tho - with a little sag already in them - to better match the Intrax height).
Old 09-13-2006, 11:21 AM
"and falling like a rock"

Hows the tread life on your tires?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Tires are crap. Front struts are crap. Buuuuuuuut - I had the exact same excessive understeer and really light feeling front end when my tires had lots of tread and the struts weren't blown. So I don't think that's the problem.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:57 AM

huuuuum....our cars are not really that light in the front, so I'm guessing they are just losing traction too much for your taste.

Im still thinking tires. Check pressure and/or rotate if not done already.

I have the tokico/ST spring combo (on my '89) and my rear sits about 1 inch lower than the front (very ugly) but doesn't really affect handling until you reach the limits at witch the rear breaks free suddenly but they are not the same as your Intrax.

We have the oldest 3rd gens so other suspension stuff could be worn (lower ctrl arm, bushing, axles, etc...) but honestly I'd like to get other people's opinions
Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 PM

Ya, I know our cars are really heavy in the front - that's why I don't understand this sensation of lightness that I'm getting? These exact same springs were on my old 1990 Silver Max, with different tires, and the exact same excessive understeer and feeling of a light front-end was present on that car too. So I really, really doubt it's tires. At first I thought it was blown rear struts - that why I put Koni's in - but that didn't help. Tire pressure has been checked countless times. Springs were inspected when I did the rear struts (2 months ago) - and they're not broken. They were REALLY easy to compress tho, and all the purple coating has flaked-off...
Old 09-13-2006, 12:43 PM

so....have you ever had 'proper' handling in your Maxima? What's your base line car for comparing this problem to.

Cause I'm wondering if you are comparing the VG' to another maxima with a VLSD which plants the power down much better.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

does ur max have the locking differential or non locking?? i have eibachs on my max and the ride is perfect maybe u should get urself some eibachs instead then bro lol
Old 09-13-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
does ur max have the locking differential or non locking?? i have eibachs on my max and the ride is perfect maybe u should get urself some eibachs instead then bro lol
Technically our cars do have a locking diff. We have a Viscous Limited Slip Diff.

If you drive a 3rd gen Max with a VLSD and compare it to your VG maxima, you will be very disappointed by your VG. FYI.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 89blackse
Technically our cars do have a locking diff. We have a Viscous Limited Slip Diff.

If you drive a 3rd gen Max with a VLSD and compare it to your VG maxima, you will be very disappointed by your VG. FYI.
Vg guys can use ur glorified tranny.

I plan on swapping on in someday, and yes my vg manages to spins my wheel
Old 09-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89blackse

o lolz my bad well im used to only having SE maximas cept i did have one vg but it was a late model 91 se with alot of the 92 se parts. i know this cuz i got lucked out when i went to go buyt an alternator only to be told dat mine was the alternator that went on the 92 max cuz i had me alternator off and they brought out the normal 91 atlernator and the one i had wasnt the same one weird chit
Old 09-13-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Vg guys can use ur glorified tranny.
LOL yeah...it's nice

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
...and yes my vg manages to spins my wheel
and yes shvelle my VG also manages to understeer like mad
Old 09-13-2006, 03:36 PM

maybe it will sound stupid but check if your tires are over inflated !
Old 09-13-2006, 06:15 PM

Tires are not over-inflated.

I'm comparing to my 1990 silver Maxima SE with chopped stock springs (the way I bought it) - which actually handled great.
I'm also comparing to my current 1989 black Maxima SE with stock springs (how it was when I bought it).
And I'm also comparing it to every other car I've ever driven. There is something not quite right about the handling, and the only thing I can think of that would cause such a light feeling are the rear springs.

Example:
If I accelerate normally from a dead stop, to make a left turn through and intersection, I can spin my left front tire (with ease) because the car squats down on the right rear, which unloads the front left.

I just had an alignment done.
All 4 tires are wearing evenly.
All 4 have equal & correct tire pressure.
Rear struts are 2 month old Koni's set to 3.
Intrax springs are aprox. 3 years old.
Front struts are 3 year old, blown Monroe Sense-A-Trac's.

Matt - where are you??!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 AM

i dont know what konis you have but mine dont click, they just turn 2.5 full turns from soft to hard, you might want to check that.
also the konis have soft compression damping and adjustable rebound so it will feel like the rear end hunkers down if you have them set stiff.
tire pressures in the rear will affect the rear spring stiffness drastically, it is something like 2 psi is equivalent to 10 lbs of spring rate so pump up your rear tires to like 38-40 psi.
other than that check all your bushings in both the front and the rear if they are cracked they can cause a lot of play in the suspension
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by shvelle
Example:
If I accelerate normally from a dead stop, to make a left turn through and intersection, I can spin my left front tire (with ease) because the car squats down on the right rear, which unloads the front left.

Hell youre front anti-roll bar may be disconnected or damaged. Thats what pulls the left front tire up and help level out the front end in the above example.

Hell go buy a ST roll bar and install it. Should help out alot either way.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 AM

a broken or loose front anti roll bar would actually help keep the front tires on the ground because the inside tire would not be restricted on its travel(lifted by the sway bar), many people remove the front bar, or use the stock bar, when autocrossing or road racing to give the front tires better contact with the road in turns. adding a stiffer front anti roll bar adds understeer. the REAR bar helps REDUCE understeer and a stiffer rear bar will help you get rid of some of the understeer. an aadco rear sway bar with a stock front bar is your best bet and could even give you a little oversteer. i have the ST front and rear sway bars and they tend to understeer slightly at the limit but i have my rear shocks set stiff to compensate.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by gdmaxse
a broken or loose front anti roll bar would actually help keep the front tires on the ground because the inside tire would not be restricted on its travel(lifted by the sway bar),
Yes you are correct. And it will add a lot of body roll as the inside spring/shocks act freely to PUSH the car even more into the lean, making it much more dramatic.

many people remove the front bar, or use the stock bar, when autocrossing or road racing to give the front tires better contact with the road in turns.
I have not heard of this yet...

adding a stiffer front anti roll bar adds understeer.
I mean you are correct, but I don't believe that 100% applies to FWD cars.

He is saying that when he goes around a turn he gets a lot of under steer. Which he is getting. But its not (totally) cause the car is setup to under steer, its also cause his open diff is sending more power to the wheel with the least traction, which then makes the under steer seem even worst.

My advice if you are going to disconnect your front roll bar, DON'T drive it on PUBLIC roads, because you will wreck.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:46 PM

on a FWD car stiffening the front swaybar will definately increase understeer.
yeah i would not drive with the front sway bar removed but people have in the past, check the autocrossing or suspension sections. removing the bar can cause so much body roll that the tires will be off camber and not contact the road properly
Old 09-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Way out West

you said your tires are crap. In what way are they wearing?

Inside, outside, center, cupping?

This might help you figure out the problem:

tire wear
Old 09-15-2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by gdmaxse
i dont know what konis you have but mine dont click, they just turn 2.5 full turns from soft to hard
Mine don't click either (that was just my failing memory). I have mine turned 3 full turns from soft.

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
you said your tires are crap. In what way are they wearing? Inside, outside, center, cupping?
Both front tires are worn evenly across the surface of the tire and compared to each other.

Last I checked, both my sway bars were connected, with bushings in place, and were not broken. Remember - 2 cars suffered the same performance/handling issues.

So no one else who has (or had) Intrax (or any other lowering springs?) has ever experienced this??
Old 09-26-2006, 09:27 AM

sound to me maybe your camber is off or maybe your struts are getting ready to fail or if already has. i have had my intrax w/tokico combo for 4years and no sign of sagging or bottoming out under any capacity load