3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wassup to everybody!-NEWBIE

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 10:21 AM

First of all I want to say hello to all you Maxima fanatics and just say that all you guys seem to be very knowlegable and very serious about your Maxes and dont talk down to people who are "newbies"(like myself) that dont have the experience many of you have, all in all a great community with some tricked out rides! Anyway, I dont have it yet but will be picking up this week an '89 se with 147k and buying it from the original owner! He was asking $2500 but got him down to $1750.00, was it a good deal? problems with the car:
none of the power windows go down, he told me they stopped working at 40k and he never bothered to fix them? is this common? also the guy has never changed the tranny fluid! I know this can spell bad news but I figure the worst that could happen is Ill run the car until tranny goes and rebuild. I dont plan on changing the tranny oil when i do the complete tune up (tranny runs like silk right now) and hope for the best. anyway other then that car is clean and cant wait to pick it up this week. if any of you guys can give and helpfull tips for a first time max owner please post, would appreciate. L8tr!
Old 06-24-2001, 12:44 PM

Welcome!

What's happnin?
I think you're gonna like it here. As far as the power window thing goes, the regulators are a common failure in 3rd gen Maxes. I've replaced one on my car, but many people have replaced most or all of theirs. The auto trannies are kinda fragile if you add much more than 20-30hp to your car and drive it hard. Mine was rebuilt last February. Tore it up autocrossing. One of the first things you will want to do is get a tranny cooler, Check the FAQ's and search feature. Many threads on the coolers and window regulators.
Cheers!
Old 06-24-2001, 01:06 PM

the power window problem is common. check out www.kalebonline.com you'll find the answers and fix there under the maxima section.

auto tranny on my 91 is at 95K+ and i drove it hard for 5 years. took a lickin and kept on tickin...

Fro
Old 06-24-2001, 01:57 PM

WELCOME

great to have you in the family. I'm sure you will tons more miles on your Max. I've got 160k on my 93 SE, and she still runs like new. And she has never been in the shop for major repair with a stock engine. Best of luck to you, an hopes for many, many driving miles. Later...