3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG Factory fitted alarm - intermittent sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
LvR

VG Factory fitted alarm - intermittent sound

Question for the alarm experts that may have gone through this before:

I have a situation where every now and then, when I press the button on the remote to lock the car, the doors will lock and the indicators will flash but there will be no short expected "beep" ......................... the same happens when you unlock the car with the remote ...................... most other times the expected "beep" is heard

Now my issue is this:

This situation obviously also affects the ability of the electronics of the factory fitted boxes to actually "protect" the car, since when I don't hear the "beep" on locking the car, I can manually unlock the boot or door with the key causing the alarm to trigger - however, the triggered alarm then is only able to flash the indicators and there is no sound coming from the alarm to draw attention the "detected tampering" situation.

To my mind its obviously/most likely related to a contact problem on a relay or PCB in one of the alarm boxes but the question is which one?

Anybody out there run into this before and actually solved it?

Must a box be replaced or can I open and fix it myself?

If I open and try and fix it, the battery obviously has to disconnected - is this an issue for the alarm and the disconnected box - IE - will the alarm lose its programmed data and start ignoring my 2 remotes and the 2 immobilizer bypass keys that I know from bitter experience to be possible?

(Personally not scared of electronics, but due to the absence of decent design and location information in the FSM I am weary of (after having fixed the "beep" problem successfully) having to haul the car to a Nissan stealership to reprogram the alarm boxes to respond to my 4 remotes again)

Any thoughts and experiences much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As far as I know, the 3rd gens didn't come with keyless entry, so your remote is most likely operating an after-market alarm, and depending on how that is wired in with your stock one, there could be all sorts of problems. Hard to tell without pics.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 PM
LvR

Another data-point for reference perhaps then:

1. I am in South Africa and don't know what exactly is different to you guys in the rest of the world on these cars - but for one thing .......... I do know that we run a O2-less ECU with no cat on the exhaust (thank heaven for small blessings!) so there may very well be other subtle (?) differences too.

2. Its painfully obvious that the wiring harness on our vehicles - including sections related to the alarm/immobilizer - is all factory quality/standard while our stealerships plead ignorance as to the details of the items - they want to replace the whole bang-shoot as a complete item and at a cost of something more than the current book-value of the vehicle ................. for obvious reason I cannot see that happening anytime soon as long as I have a say in it.

"Without pics" .................... ? ...............thats exactly the problem.
I dont know what is and is not relevant .......................... I can post a pic of the "horn" mounted in the engine compartment, but that is basically a 2 wire item, that by the looks of it, simply scream it's head off or not if its fed 12V ................. the 2 wires attached to that disappears into the harness going who-knows-where ..................... and thats the question I need to answer
Old 08-08-2006, 11:14 PM

I don't know too much about the factory max alarms mine was taken out before I bought it(i still have the remotes for some reason) but I know I was having a similar problem with my viper alarm recently. Mine has a tendancy to get "stuck" in valet mode from time to time which only locks and unlocks the doors but there's no sound or alarm. You might try and look into that and see if yours is doing the same thing.Although I don't know if the factory alarm even has that.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM
LvR

Thanks for the interest, but alas no thats not the problem - alarm actions/reactions are quite normal as per the owners manual except for the missing sounds - defenitely not going into some "valet" or some such mode .................... when I notice the problem I can sometimes immediately redo the lock/unlock action and the sound will/may be restored - sometimes it doesnt and it then seems to require a drive around the block or a few bumps in the road before it will return to "normal" - sometimes at the next stop, sometimes only later the same day, sometimes 2 days or so later.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 AM

Check the fuses for your alarm... and replace them... it might fix the problem...

i had that problem on my aftermarket alarm...
Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Alex_V

Take the control module out, and resolder any broken connections. Pretty much just take a soldering iron with a small tip and melt the solder joints to reattach them.

~Alex

Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Take the control module out, and resolder any broken connections. Pretty much just take a soldering iron with a small tip and melt the solder joints to reattach them.

~Alex
That is exactly my intention (me being a an EE and all) - but see my first post re real operational concerns ............... and which one of the hundred or so little black boxes in the vehicle is in fact the correct "control module" - not one of even 4 Nissan stealerships around here can tell me ............... hence my thread.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:38 AM
mod or sell?

unfortunately the USDM 3rd gen did not have a keyless remote from the factory (maybe 94 did , but no vehicle has been shown to have it)
so our anti-theft system is different.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:53 AM
LvR

I was secretly hoping that to not be the case .......................