3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

yellow fogs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM

yellow fogs??

i need better visibility on the road because i do alot of night driving. Will yellow fogs look ugly on our maximas with regular halogens in the headlights? I'm thinking on getting the jdm luminics yellow h3 bulbs but i want to see pics of it installed on our cars. also what is the typical lifespan on these bulbs? will visibility be alot better if yellow bulbs are installed in the fogs? where is the best place to buy these buys at a low price? if anyone has pics of yellow fogs in on our cars please post and some driver perspective pics at night would be greatly appreciated as well...thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 AM

it will look great, but not with those bulbs. the most yellow you can get is by putting the capsule as i did. you can do the capsule and put PIAA Xtreme white bulbs. these bulb put out very good light compared to regular bulbs and also last very long (also expensive) or you can get sylvanias xtravision which are just as bright almost.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Cliff clavin is the 3rd gen yellow foglight guru...Pm him about it...
Old 06-27-2006, 11:59 AM

this is wat the yellow capsule with regular stock h3 bulbs look like, it was starting to get dark.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Way out West

I put the yellow capsules in my stock fogs. The yellow looks sweet, but I totally had to ghetto rig them in there. I don't recommend putting them in stock 3rd gen lights.

I do get a lot of compliments on how they look "JDM" or whatever.

Ignore the 4th gen guys, because the capsules fit fine in a 4th gen housing. Ours aren't deep enough and I had to customize the entire back part of the foglight to make mine fit. If I want to put them back to stock, I will need to order (or get from a junkyard) new foglight housings.

I also had a set of Hella yellow bulbs and they weren't yellow enough. I have also tried some other "JDM" yellow bulbs, but they were worse than the Hellas.

I will try to get some pics of it with the yellow capsules. I thought I had some, but I can't find them. Possibly my wife put them in a wrong file or accidentally deleted them.

Another thing is our foglight housings don't produce that great of a beam. Mine look cool with the yellow at night, but they are weak compared to some PIAAs.

If you are truly concerned about the lighting performance, I would highly recommend buying a quality aftermarket set of fog/driving lights, probably in an amber color or maybe yellow if you can find some.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM

when you did the cap, did it run into the front lense? on 4th gens with the cap i used i berly touch the front lense. havnt had experience with 3rd gen fogs though. but there are different size capsules though. i used 9006 for my h3 bulbs cuz they put out a more pure yellow, u can get smaller cap like a h3 or so. not sure wat bulb is used for the 3rd gen housing.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Way out West

I have h3 capsules and I had to push the front metal reflector inside the fog forward (all the way to the glass), then I had to use a dremel to cut the metal hole for the bulb larger. Then I had to create a new wire hanger for it. because of the wire, it was super tight putting the back part of the housing back on. It's totally ghetto, but it looks good, at least when you see the yellow fogs when I am driving.

I am planning on getting some quality fog lights and mounting them to a spare set of brackets I have. That way when the weather is crappy or I am taking a trip where I will be driving a lot at night I can mount them (with the stock wiring harness) to the stock location and use the stock foglight switch.

Actually, I have been planning this for some time, but I rarely drive the car and I have only driven it at night maybe 2-3 times in the last 2 years, therefore the fogs are kind of low on my list.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:34 PM

damn thats alot of work. like u said not worth it and its better off getting good aftermarket ones that will probably put out great light for night.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
damn thats alot of work. like u said not worth it and its better off getting good aftermarket ones that will probably put out great light for night.
Definitely not worth it. Just buy some yellow Piaas or something similar. The light output basically sucks on these fogs. They just kind of fill in the space in between the car and where the headlights hit.

here is what the lights look like at night:

Here is what it looks like on the road kind of a normal view. You can see the yellow just kind of shows in front of the car -- not much else.

Here is a longer exposure picture that kind of highlights where the light hits:

Old 06-28-2006, 04:48 AM

thanks for the pics, your right even with the yellow capsules its really yellow for the first couple of inches, but further down it really doesnt even show as shown in the 3rd pic. i really thought it was going to make a difference in visibility but our fogs aren't made for that huh? i guess i won't be upgrading the bulbs for the fogs to the jdm yellow ones.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:43 AM

Had Yellow Plasma ION in my HELLA 550 driving lights... If want to see better I would suggest these lights. They project over 100 yards with visibility!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:46 AM

The YELLOW IS NICE!!!

I'm putting HELLA 500 driving lights on the Z this weekend with YELLOW H3s. Gonna place the lights behind the grill. I'll have to take the whole bumper off to do it. I am also changing the high beam H1 from a Sylvania Silver star to the same brand as the H3. My parking lights are orange too from the factory hallogen.

so I'll have NISSAN HID for the LOW beam, Yellow H3 for the driving lights and Yellow high beams with orange parking lights!

Cool.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Way out West

Yes, there is a big difference in light output between our stock fogs and something of quality, like Hella. That's why all along I have been recommending upgraded fogs.

I used to have a very nice pair of Cibie fog lights on my Nissan 4x4 and they were better than the high beams, but were still a normal rectangular shape. They weren't quite like KCs, but those are huge. The Cibie were about the same as our stock fogs.

My stock ones look cool (personally, I like the yellow) but the lighting is of no help at all.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:21 PM

I got some fogs at car toys and then put the 100 watters in there and I loved them